theory11 columnist
Oct 12, 2008
Vancouver
www.cardsinabottle.com
You: "So tell me what card you selected..."
Them: "You tell me, Mr. Magician."
You: "Um, for the first time, please name your card out loud."
Them: "How about you go %#^ #^^^# , instead."
You: "Are you talkin' to me? What am I? Some sort of joke? Do you have any idea who I am? Vinny! Come over here for a sec..."

First of all- this has happened to all of us. Try to remember, though, that Time + Tragedy = Comedy. If this happened to you within the last little while, I can guarantee that you'll laugh about it one day. I'm laughing at this very moment remembering what Vinny did to that...um...never mind.

So, what if you don't perform Walk Around magic surrounded by an entourage of hired thugs that would love to do your bidding? What if you're just showing some magic to a few people at school and one of them drank too much haterade that morning? What's your plan?

Kill Them with Kindness.

Read that again.

This is the only way, in my opinion, that you'll ever win. Kindness, and self-deprecation. Let's try it from the top:

You: "So tell me what card you selected..."
Them: "You tell me, Mr. Magician."
You: "Lol, dude, if I could do that, I'd be on TV. I'm not David Blaine here. But if you tell me, I'll show you something cool..."

There's an old saying that goes something like, "When you have your enemy backed into a corner, give him a way out." Which basically means, you must give the hater a way to save face. The line of "But if you tell me, I'll show you something cool..." gives him the power and will let him feel like he's allowing you to do something. And don't for a minute think this is a bad thing. Because:

A) Our goal, as performers is to make people feel good.

and,

B) His mind is about to be crushed forever when he sees that card change, thereby making us the supreme victor at the end of the day.

So let's look at other scenarios, such as the popular hits, "You suck." "I hate magic." and my all-time favourite, "Why don't you #%^#a donkey and then %^#%^## that %^#^ with a ^&@&^@." (that one actually peaked at number 1 on the Hater Charts).

When hammered with those, can we still kill them with kindness? Absolutely!

Them: "You suck."
You: "OMG, right? Man if you think that was bad you should see me juggle, lol. Let me show you one that I know works. You've got to give me a chance to redeem myself!"

Them: "I hate magic."
You: "No kidding! What's up with those guys that always carry cards around?! Oh, these? These aren't mine. But since I have them, let me show you an illusion. I don't believe in that magic stuff."

Them: "Why don't you #%^#a donkey and then %^#%^## that %^#^ with a ^&@&^@."
You: "Hey, see you later!"

This all comes down to~ Picking your battles. We know, for a fact, that we're going to win the end fight. When they see me float around the room, I know they'll be crushed or, at the very least, will have fun and think it's cool. So why not let them win on the way to that battlefield? If they want to tease me on the way over, what do I care? "Can I make your wife disappear? Ha ha! That's a great one! I love it!" Card goes back into the deck and...BOOOOOM. Mindcrushed! Victory! THIS...IS...MAGIC! (i.e. Sparta).

When someone is a jerk, you need to treat them like they're drunk. It's not really their fault they're being such idiots- they can't help it. Their haterade has taken over their senses. The only thing to do is to help them to bed, give them some water while they're puking their guts out, and then smother them with your magic pillow. Maybe that's a bit too dark. How about: Let them be haterade drunk, treat them with kid gloves, and then destroy their minds. That's a bit better.

The ability to laugh at yourself (no matter how you feel inside) is the mark of a true pro. We need to cast aside those desires to "show them" and simply get over it, with a smile on our faces. That doesn't mean that you should let people walk all over you, but rather know when to let things slide. Don't forget, at the end of the day, we want people to have a good time. If that means that they get to crack a few jokes at my expense, it's no skin off my nose. Because i know, deep inside, they'll come back and want to be in my presence, and experience my magic. The magic of kindness.

All my best,

Jamie D. Grant
www.Professional-Magician.com

Last edited by a moderator:
May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
Thank you very much for this post Mr. Grant. I enjoyed it very much. Especially this part: When someone is a jerk, you need to treat them like they're drunk. It's not really their fault they're being such idiots- they can't help it.

Have a good one,

–Anna Harris

Jan 16, 2008
Now we're going somewhere much deeper than astonishment and entertainment...this essay is essential to social life as a whole. Wonderfully helpful advice, Jamie, once again! =)

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Thank you very much for this post Mr. Grant. I enjoyed it very much. Especially this part: When someone is a jerk, you need to treat them like they're drunk. It's not really their fault they're being such idiots- they can't help it.

Have a good one,

–Anna Harris

WRONG!

I once saw a guy in an AA meeting with a hat that read "Instant A**hole, Just Add Alcohol"... the truth being, you don't need Alcohol to be an A**hole... it's simply who and what one is.

If someone is being a jerk, and I don't care if it's a Congressman or popular Actor... they are simply being a jerk and it's up to you to either place them in check or play their game.

Sylvester Stalon used to love picking on crew members during movie shoots... he'd take people's watches and all kinds of things, because he was "Rocky" and could get away with it... he was a total putz. But people started getting fed uip and it started costing him gigs... the same goes with Val Kilmer and dozens of others in Hollywood that thought they were something special. So if it goes for them it must be the same for all the self-important nobodies in the world that do the same thing.

So when you are confronted with such a jerk you need to have material that you can use for putting them into the hot seat but do so in a way that sets them up first, forcing them to lower their defenses and think you're "letting them in on things"...then, at the last minute, standing there in front of god and everyone, it registers on them that they just got punked... but in a classy way (must be classy or you end up looking bad). It's all a part of showmanship and earning your chops but more importantly, its the kind of stuff you need to know is out there and you need to be ready for... as in practiced and rehearsed!

Professionals actually rehearse screw-ups, failures and hecklers when they are running through their material. Big Illusion shows evern have run-throughs that focus on casters falling off a prop during different parts of the act so people know what to do and why. This is one of the biggest things that separate the wannabes from the real deals out there. So, as every boy scout will tell you... BE PREPARED!

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
WRONG!

I once saw a guy in an AA meeting with a hat that read "Instant A**hole, Just Add Alcohol"... the truth being, you don't need Alcohol to be an A**hole... it's simply who and what one is.

If someone is being a jerk, and I don't care if it's a Congressman or popular Actor... they are simply being a jerk and it's up to you to either place them in check or play their game.

Sylvester Stalon used to love picking on crew members during movie shoots... he'd take people's watches and all kinds of things, because he was "Rocky" and could get away with it... he was a total putz. But people started getting fed uip and it started costing him gigs... the same goes with Val Kilmer and dozens of others in Hollywood that thought they were something special. So if it goes for them it must be the same for all the self-important nobodies in the world that do the same thing.

So when you are confronted with such a jerk you need to have material that you can use for putting them into the hot seat but do so in a way that sets them up first, forcing them to lower their defenses and think you're "letting them in on things"...then, at the last minute, standing there in front of god and everyone, it registers on them that they just got punked... but in a classy way (must be classy or you end up looking bad). It's all a part of showmanship and earning your chops but more importantly, its the kind of stuff you need to know is out there and you need to be ready for... as in practiced and rehearsed!

Professionals actually rehearse screw-ups, failures and hecklers when they are running through their material. Big Illusion shows evern have run-throughs that focus on casters falling off a prop during different parts of the act so people know what to do and why. This is one of the biggest things that separate the wannabes from the real deals out there. So, as every boy scout will tell you... BE PREPARED!

Thanks for your input however can you not shout WRONG at me and maybe say that to Mr. Grant? I just thought it was funny the way it was written. This is a magic forum; maybe we can talk about magic.

Thanks,

–Anna

Jamie D. Grant

theory11 columnist
Oct 12, 2008
Vancouver
www.cardsinabottle.com
Actually Mehar, that is a bit related, lol. Because I don't call it an "Impossible" bottle, but rather, the "Anything Is Possible" bottle. I don't really believe in negativity and put a ton of effort into all my work to make sure that that comes across. I hope you like it!

Okay, so let me say right off the bat that I know of Craig's work and respect his opinions. (Thanks for posting Craig! I hope you've been well!) I should also say my essays are about how I do things and are what works for me. It's not the same for everyone.

Okay, with that out of the way, let me ask everyone something. And please take a second to be brutally honest with yourself:

Do you perform magic to make yourself feel good or to make others feel good?

Take a minute and analyze that for a bit. There's no wrong answer here (at all) but it might help you on the way to understanding yourself and your audience. Me? I've extremely lucky, as nothing makes me feel better than making someone feel good. Truly. It gives me an absolute high to see people having a great time. Especially if I had something to do with it. I'm simply not in this business for a sense of empowerment or to help my ego. Don't get me wrong though, I don't judge people who are, as those aren't always bad things and are necessary for our sense of self-worth. I just personally don't look for those results from performing magic.

Now that we know why I perform magic (to make people feel good) we also need to look at my selfish motives....money. Barrie Richardson told me years ago that his only goal after an event was for them to say "When can we have you back." Which brings me to a true story:

Picture about eight alpha males standing around me. Some are celebrities, some are hanger-ons, but they're all real money. It comes up that I don't drink...

Alpha Male: You don't drink?! Ha! You probably don't have sex either. (Everyone laughs ~including me~)
Me: Well, actually I'm married.
Alpha Male: Yeah, what's his name?! (Everyone laughs harder)
Me: Holy smokes, that was a fast comeback, You're awesome! "His" name is Melissa.
Alpha Male: His name's Melissa? That's pretty good. You know, you can take a joke. You're hired.
Me: For what?
Alpha Male: For everything.

Now it's not often I talk about how much I make but I'll tell you that from this one guy I took home $14500, in just one year. 14K from one client who got to be the center of attention for, what, three minutes?

So, the next question is:

Who do you think people will want back? Someone who put them in their place? Or someone who let them have their moment?

Which brings me straight back to why I'm here:

A) To make people feel good.

and,

B) To make the paper. As much as possible.

Does one contradict the other? I don't think so, and I've done everything in my power to make them coincide. But you know what? They do, naturally. Because people will always hire the guy that makes them feel good. And that's the most important thing about this business that no one will tell you. That people don't hire me because I have a DL that will make their head spin. They hire me because of how I make them feel. And for every hour that someone spends rehearsing lines that will destroy a heckler, I'll spend ten hours thinking of ways to compliment someone without them consciously realizing I did it. From how I look to how I talk, everything in my being is focused on making people feel better about themselves when I'm around as that, in absolute honesty, is what makes me happy. Magic is just the introduction into their house.

I hope that gives some insight into how I think and will let you know if my essays are a good fit for you. I'll stick by my "Killing them with Kindness" as that has served me extremely well in all aspects of my life. I'm a happy man. And for those that disagree- I'm glad you do. It's important that we're all not the same. I only offer this parting thought:

When planning revenge, make sure you dig two graves...one for yourself.

Okay gang! Enough pontificating on my part! Let's hear your thoughts and opinions!

All my best,

Jamie D. Grant
www.Professional-Magician.com

Jun 1, 2009
Great advice, I usually just ignore hecklers. Either that, or the crowd will be on my side and tell them to be quiet. However, what if someone says "I saw that" or "I think I got it." If it's a mind blowing effect, other people will usually go "How?!?". This actually happened today, I did a quick sandwich effect, and at the end someone went "I think I caught that." And someone else agreed with "Yeah, me too." I just ignored them, picked up my cards, boxed them, and then left after a bit of conversing.
What do you do in this kind of situation? (Not just Jamie, but anyone can answer lol)

Jacob

Apr 1, 2009
California
That doesn't make them haters. They're doing you a favor if they call you out. Go home, work on what you've been called out on to where you can do it 4000 times in a row invisibly for 4000 people burning your hands with microscopes.

Jun 1, 2009
That doesn't make them haters. They're doing you a favor if they call you out. Go home, work on what you've been called out on to where you can do it 4000 times in a row invisibly for 4000 people burning your hands with microscopes.

I get that, I guess I meant more along the lines of when they say it to my face. Usually it's like "I know how you did that" and try and act like a big shot in front of everyone for figuring out a magic trick.

Jacob

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results