d+M's Presentation

May 18, 2008
d+M is a great magician and creator to me, but only a good creator to most. Many, many people say that he sounds like a bad David Blaine impersonator or something like that. I came on here to say that I disagree in several, several ways.

d+M currently holds the record for best set of DVDs I own. They are entertaining, fun to watch, and very informative. I use more tricks off that DVD than any other I have. When I first got it a few months ago, I had low, low expectations. Everyone said that his presentation made this set super-boring and not very good.

I disagree. David Blaine, Daniel Madison, Dan White, Garrett Thomas and all of them have really good presentations. Let me explain. They all have clear cut characters. Daniel Madison is very charismatic and has an awesome accent. If your presentation is not a funny and silly type like Jay Sankey or David Regal or Greg Wilson, don't force it. If you force it, you will end up worse then before.

I find it contradictory how people say everyone should do magic, but then shun and diss the people who are good at it for not bieng hillarious and silly. I happened to find Daniel Madison's presentation more entertaining then a lot of the "funny" people out there.

Seriously, people, think about it before you diss people that at least have a presentation. In people like d+M, David Blaine and Dan White's case, they get dissed for not bieng funny or energetic. If they did try, they would get dissed for bieng posers. They can never win. Just something for you guys to think about. End Rant.

Jul 14, 2008
I agreed with you, popchris3, I tend to be focus on the serious presentation for the people to understand. If I acted funny, the trick will be ruined. I guess that we all have our different style to entertain the audience.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
The key word above is charisma. They have character and though they don't do the whole Sankey thing, they can still smile and get involved with their participants.

I think the message to be taken from the above post is to be yourself, not someone else :)

D.

May 16, 2008
Pittsburgh
I agree with you that he is a good creator, however, his presentations could be better in my opinion.

Take his flourishing for instance. Look at his, then look at Dan and Dave.

Dan and Dave do NOT move their bodies. Which is good. Let me explain. When they don't move, the cards are in view more, and you can see the cards going crazy. However, you can't see the cards flying around in Daniel Madison's videos. Now before you come back and say "are you kidding? his flourishes are so hard and insane!" I know. They are extremely difficult and insane.

I too own dangerous.
I first bought it for the magic. His flourishes never really wowed me from his Guardian and Centurion videos. They really just made me bored. However, now that I've seen all the flourishes in detail, I can go back to those and now really see how good he is at those. They truly are amazing. But his body movements are too distracting. You can't tell what's going on. Think back to magic. How many times have you heard "The bigger motion covers the smaller motion" ding! His view is that the bigger motion makes the smaller motion look better. :confused: umm... hmm. They don't look better. Look at his popsybil. You cant see anything until the card shoots out because he is moving so much. In my opinion, if he would stop moving back and forth so much, his flourishes would look a lot better. And I think that's why people had such low expectations for Dangerous. They didn't know what was really in the DVD because his videos didn't give people much to go by. (Except the people who were already famillar with his work.

On the other hand I think that he's got his magic down. His performances are very entertaining. I agree with everything you said about his performance style. This is only my opinion on his flourishing.

Now to be clear I'm not bashing Daniel Madison. I love his work. This is just some friendly criticism. Nobody's perfect.

peace

-Kevin

Jul 10, 2008
I totally agree with you . . . his performances are very fun to watch. I like his style

Nov 8, 2007
d+M currently holds the record for best set of DVDs I own.

That doesn't really qualify as a "record."

I agree with most of what you wrote though. Madison and Blaine present their magic in a natural, entertaining way, regardless of their lack of humor. It works for them just fine.

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
I agree with you that he is a good creator, however, his presentations could be better in my opinion.

Take his flourishing for instance. Look at his, then look at Dan and Dave.

Dan and Dave do NOT move their bodies. Which is good. Let me explain. When they don't move, the cards are in view more, and you can see the cards going crazy. However, you can't see the cards flying around in Daniel Madison's videos. Now before you come back and say "are you kidding? his flourishes are so hard and insane!" I know. They are extremely difficult and insane.

I too own dangerous.
I first bought it for the magic. His flourishes never really wowed me from his Guardian and Centurion videos. They really just made me bored. However, now that I've seen all the flourishes in detail, I can go back to those and now really see how good he is at those. They truly are amazing. But his body movements are too distracting. You can't tell what's going on. Think back to magic. How many times have you heard "The bigger motion covers the smaller motion" ding! His view is that the bigger motion makes the smaller motion look better. :confused: umm... hmm. They don't look better. Look at his popsybil. You cant see anything until the card shoots out because he is moving so much. In my opinion, if he would stop moving back and forth so much, his flourishes would look a lot better. And I think that's why people had such low expectations for Dangerous. They didn't know what was really in the DVD because his videos didn't give people much to go by. (Except the people who were already famillar with his work.

On the other hand I think that he's got his magic down. His performances are very entertaining. I agree with everything you said about his performance style. This is only my opinion on his flourishing.

Now to be clear I'm not bashing Daniel Madison. I love his work. This is just some friendly criticism. Nobody's perfect.

peace

-Kevin

i dont exactly agree with the flourishing comment. I believe that what daniel said on motion was true for his flourishes, that when you move together with the cards, you can make the flourish so much bigger and better.

Jan 13, 2008
i dont exactly agree with the flourishing comment. I believe that what daniel said on motion was true for his flourishes, that when you move together with the cards, you can make the flourish so much bigger and better.
Agreed. When you move together with the cards, you're expanding the frame in which the flourish is happening. Thus, the flourish looks bigger and better. :)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
This is true; although I think that Jerry Cestkowski on XB, in the Q section, shows this much better than d+m does, he moves around a lot while flourishes in his first demonstration to Q.

May 18, 2008
His flourishes I think are, as stated before, bigger and better as a result of him moving around. I have to say that his flourishes wow me more than the Bucks.

Jan 19, 2008
I kinda think DM and the Buck twins are similar and some of DMs flourishes are baied on older flourishes as he changed them a bit.

May 16, 2008
Pittsburgh

Yes I am aware of what he said. I tried to make that clear. My point was that in my opinion, moving back and forth doesn't make them bigger an better, but distracts from what is really going on.

Some hard in each art form is defining your style. It's the same with magic as it is with filmmaking, photography, painting, etc. And that's the thing I love about different arts. The different styles used gives a sense of originality. Daniel's flourishing style is different, it's more of a "dance". It's more "urban".

I personally like the diversity in the magic scene. When I wan't to watch something that might make me chuckle I'll check out some Sankey, when I'm in a different mood I'll watch some DM. It works like that for any magicians or artist.

If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Mitch

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results