Daniel Madison’s ‘Hunger’ ends with hospitalization.

May 8, 2008
England
First and most importantly 'cheers' is British lads, get it right. :) :p
Whey for natonal pride on T11!

Personally I don't see this as a 'stunt'. It was a personal thing, a way of Daniel to challenge and push himself, we all have different reasons for doing things, maybe DM's will become clear in time, if he wants them too.
Also I think the breal from magic, though it ****** me off at first, is a good thing, Daniel has released so much good material. the fact that he's has time 'away' I think is good. Anyway, respect to D, hope that you got what you wanted out of the hunger.

Cheers! :p
-S

Nov 27, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Actually, in many cultures throughout time, many people have pushed the limits of existence in order to find is what is at their core.

In times not that long ago in Japan, for example, adherents of Shugendo, Esoteric Buddhism (Shingon & Tendai sects), and Koya Hijiri all practiced forms of what we would call extreme deprivation in order to achieve higher levels of self realization / enlightenment. These exercises included fasting, sleep deprivation, exposure to the elements, etc.. .

It was thought that if one pushes themselves to the point of death (the last, greatest fear), then the individual would be imparted with an experience that the average person would not otherwise understand. From this experience, they would have a greater understanding of themselves and their relationship to the world in which they live. Many believe that those who participated would also gain a greater understanding of the world beyond, simply because those who survived had come closer to this realm than the average person would ever dare.

Certain Native Americans often practiced fasting in order to achieve visions. Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha) of India also practiced extreme fasting as part of his ascetic life, often depicted as the emaciated Buddha. Muslim practice fasting during the month of Ramadan.

Many cultures from around the world practice fasting. DM's experience differs in that he comes from a culture that typically does not find it a common practice. It also differs in that most cultures who do practice fasting link it with some form of spiritual / religious rite or passage.

I do not believe DM did it because of depression. He set out to do it, and, had boundaries and goals. He was supervised by his wife who is a nurse. A person not eating because of depression doesnt put all this in place before they begin.

I do not believe DM did it for publicity. Extreme fasting can be dangerous, and, there are much easier ways of gaining notoriety. Part of that is based on intuition, part based on reading his words and listening to his story.

I cannot surmise why DM tested himself in such a way, other than a quest of the individual. I may not understand it, but, it is not mine to understand. With that, I wish him well on his journey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 27, 2008
Tijuana bC
I really don't believe his doing this for money, fame or for respect, I believe he did it because he wanted to challenge his mind to see how long he could go and control himself when such an importan variable in the human system is removed (food)... I believe he just wanted to venture into a place were his mind would be loosing grip and be in the position where he was trying to see how he could control it or vice versa his mind control him.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I don't know Mr Madison personally, so I'm in no position to judge him, however, if he doesn't want publicity, and this was just a personal thing, why do we all know about it?

May 9, 2008
When he threw the pizza in the oven, that was his body throwing up the white flag.

When he threw the pizza in the garbage, he went past he point of no return. I think he had a mental break and it took his body giving out and hospitalization to bring him back to reality.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results