Daniel Madison's ID

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I don't ever write reviews on forums, but this is something I wrote in preparation for a new magic news site I'm involved in debuting next month with a 24/7 magician's channel, rss news feeds and video reviews. Keep your eyes open. Enter the main feature...

Identity - Daniel Madison (Review by Dee Christopher)

Available at: www.danielmadison.co.uk/ID.htm
Priced at: £15 / $27 (approx)

Daniel Madison is quickly becoming a very respected name in the industry for bringing a great array of highly impactful, underground material to the table mixing psychological influence with memory feats, inconceivable mentalism and a good dose of visual magic, sleights and flourishes thrown in for good measure!

Identity is an instant download - 95 pages of printer friendly, very workable material in the vein of modern, underground close up magic.

When Daniel first mentioned the concept of Identity to me I thought it was a great idea. it was however quite controversial in that he was taking the majority of single effect releases of his and binding them all together in one pdf for a little more cash than each individual effect was released for primarily.

Either way, people not familiar with his work have a fantastic starting point and long term fans have the ultimate Madison collection for a very low price.

ID contains 11 effects with over 40 variations over it's nicely laid out pages. In my personal opinion I'd go as far as to say this is the new underground magic bible.

Within the book is some incredibly powerful routines including a visual, signed card through glass table penetration, instructions to make THREE very workable gaff decks including Memento, (which retails for £14.99 alone) Daniel's work on double writing and my personal favorite routine 'E18ht2wo' which is an incredible memory demonstration. From a shuffled deck you can cut, tell the spectator exactly how many cards are in their half, how many of each colour, then suit, then even name every card they are holding - just by scanning the deck before hand to 'memorize' it.

Oh, and there's also a triumph routine where the SPECTATOR shuffles the face up and face down cards into each other and selects and returns a card without the magician seeing.

I'll be honest now, as this is a review... I have nothing bad to say about this manuscript at all.

There is no bad material, no b-sides, this is the result of Daniel looking at his published material and essentially making a 'best of' compilation.

The only thing I will say is that naturally if you entertain children, perform with doves, or model balloons, this is not necessarily for you.

However, if you are interested in performing simple to understand powerfully routined magic and mentalism you will not be disappointed. The book is focused toward the close up performer, but the Devil's touch and e18ht2wo would easily hold in a caberet or stage environment.

In conclusion I cannot stress enough how essential a buy this is for anyone interested in close up magic. These are routines that could be performed in any situation. Five inverted pentagrams from me!

D.

May 1, 2009
UK
This is the best review i've read so far on Daniel Madison-Identity, & i can say that this review have also helped me make up my mind on buying this manuscript. For £9.99 you cannot go wrong by the sound of it, many thanks.

Jan 28, 2009
This is literally sex. Daniel Madison is the real deal and this is a fantastic manuscript full of reputation makers. 11 effects, tonnes of variations, ideas and comments. I was looking for something to widen my repertoire a bit and add a different style to some of my magic. I've experimented with some DM stuff before, the Advocate being a personal favorite of mine that is forever in my pocket, but haven't really gotten too involved with his other stuff. So when I was looking for something that was outside my normal comfort zone, but I knew would be real workers I figured why not after I read Dee's review.

The problem I have with this, is its too damn good. Lol. If anyone could be considered genuinely underground its D+M, because he literally blows stuff out of the water. In other more commercial hands there would be 11 DVDs with gimmicks supplied going for 30 bucks each dishing out the contents of this. Instead, Daniel just gives you 11 slots of pure gold for 15 quid, a price that is just insane considering the quality of the material, and instructions on constructing gimmicks for pennies.

A lot of this is based on variations to a very common existing gimmick, but there are some completely new feats in there, including a memory feat that is just off the chain, and completely ridiculous in how easy it actually is to perform, but how impossible it seems to a spectator.

This isn't going to be for everyone, if you're the kind of magician that just 'won't use a gimmick' save your money. If you're like the rest of us, this takes concepts to the next level, and is going to find its way into my working repertoire the second I have practiced it sufficiently to do the effects justice.

There is also a prediction effect that is just a complete mind melter.

The whole thing is written with D+M's standard personality throughout, and a good sense of humor pervades the entire work.

Basically if you don't pick this up, you only have yourself to blame.

Also worth noting is, check him out using what looks like CHANGE during the burn trailer that's currently the headline on his web-site. It still looks edited to **** imo, but whatever, lol.

Basically, I can't give this a high enough score. It's going to take some work without question, but I'm looking forward to adding this as a new dimension to my magic. Pick this up, seriously. I'm shocked and impressed with the quality of the teaching. Its very easy to follow, so those that hate learning from books can buy this without any fear. Its clean, to the point and easy to understand with some great pictures were required.

BUY IT!

Apr 15, 2009
Completely agreed. My magic was feeling stale until i bought this. Daniels mind is amazing, he seems to think on another level. I also purchased Burn at the same time, and can also say the material within it is mindblowing. I have way too much stuff to work through so its gonna be some time before i can use any of it, but from just reading through both ID and Burn i can honestly say that i WILL be using a great percentage of it in the future.

I think of all the pennies i have wasted here and there, especially with instant downloads. Ive bought things which have been too good to be true, or ended up being completely impractical, as im sure we all have. Identity and Burn though..... well... in these i finally have some really workable material. They currently are up there with the best magic purchases i have ever made. And at only £25 for the pair.... well..... what can i say... just get them... its a steal.

Matt

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results