Deck of the Decade

Feb 4, 2008
I liked the idea of the deck of the year and realized that we are also coming to the end of the decade. I think the decade has seen a revolution in experimenting with deck designs, stocks, and finishes. We have also seen decks that were produced to cater specifically to collectors and the new schools of flourishers, cardists, XCMers, and even magicians. In short, it has been an exciting decade for card enthusiasts of all types.

Because so many more cards have been released in the decade, than in just this year, I thought I would start by opening up nominations. At the end of the week I will tally up the top ten nominations and edit them into a poll.

Nomination rules:
1. nominate as many decks as you like.
2. the decks must have been produced or released between Jan 1st 2001 and Dec. 31st 2010.
3. You must state why you think the deck deserves a nod.

P.S. Sorry J-nug fans. They may have gone from $1.00/deck to $250.00 a deck in the span of this decade but they were produced in the 70s and released in the 80s and 90s.

Here is my nominations: why they were nominated.

Black Tiger: The first of the black decks and first signature deck of a major magic company.

White Centurions: First time a deck was made in limited quantities and sold at a reasonable price with the intention increasing its value in the secondary market. (To clarify. If you got these when they first came out T11 made 5 bucks minus their costs off of you. You can so sell this for $150.00-$250.00!)

Offasson Anglo cards: First time a card was created from ground up with the input of magicians. Cards made by magicians for magicians.

Fournier 605s: Okay...These cards are just my personal favorite but I think its justified as it was the first serious attempt to A. revitalize the quality control at the Fournier plant and B. more importantly they introduced a lot of North American magicians, and magicians world wide for that matter, to some of the excellent quality cards that are produced in Europe.

PPS. you don't have to be as specific in your reasons for a nomination. Simply stating that you think they look AWSOME! will work for me.

PPPS. Smoke and Mirrors certainly deserve their spot up here but as I only have v.4 &v.5s I think I should leave it to someone with more S&M experience to decide which ones really deserve the nommination.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

byronblaq

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Hate to burst your bubble but the decade ended last year. This year is the first year of this decade :p
With that said how about 'best deck of the last decade' to which I'm not sure what my answer would be.

I'll give my vote to Wynns i think. They were cheap and relatively easy to find ....and now they are not.

Cheers
Byron

I would like to nominate the following playing cards:

1. The D&D's smoke and mirror because they are have the best elegant back design in this decade.

2. Erdnase playing cards V.2 from the Conjurer Research Center. I nominate these playing cards because they have by for the best paper stock that I have ever felt in this decade. (they come in "airflow finish", and "smooth" finish).

Feb 4, 2008
"DeckAid" Ha! I love it.
Sorry about missing the decade btw. I always think 1-10 not 0-9.
As for those Conjuring Arts decks....do you have a preference? Ivory or Air Flow?
As to the poll, I will add it in here but there have been so many good decks in this time frame I better start with nominations. The polling option allows for a maximum of 10.

@Draven. PM me your address and I'll send you the coal.
Cheers!

byronblaq

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
So the fact that a deck is now hard to find makes it the deck of the decade in your opinion is just strange! I nominate Split Spades because the are just awesome!

Not at all. The reason i chose those cards is simple. They were not hard to find at all. It is sad that they have become hard to find for a reasonable price. They are an amazing deck of cards and they were readily available for very cheap for a long time ....They only became hard to find about a year and a bit ago when Kardwell.com sold out.
So yes i stick to my choice and no not because they are rare but because they were a cheap, Amazing quality deck.

Don't find cards like that very often!

Cheers
Byron

JasonEngland

theory11 artist / card mechanic
Nov 7, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Hate to burst your bubble but the decade ended last year. This year is the first year of this decade :p
Byron

And I hate you burst your bubble, but you're wrong. We're in the last year of the first decade of the 21st century. The 21st century began on Jan. 1st, 2001 and the first decade of this new century will end at the stroke of midnight on Jan. 1st, 2011.

Jason

Sep 2, 2007
London
And I hate you burst your bubble, but you're wrong. We're in the last year of the first decade of the 21st century. The 21st century began on Jan. 1st, 2001 and the first decade of this new century will end at the stroke of midnight on Jan. 1st, 2011.

Jason

That's true. There was no year 0, therefore the Common Era, or Anno Domini, begins with year 1. So, if you're measuring a decade as ten calendar years, each decade begins when the ordinal number of the year has a 1 at the end. I say "if", because if you measure a decade as 10 x 365 days (plus allowance for leap years), then ends of decades fall at apparently arbitrary times due to days lost when the world changed from the Julian to Gregorian calendar.

Sorry, not really useful information on a magic forum, but I imagine that information could be formulated into some sort of proposition bet.

byronblaq

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2010
Melbourne, Australia

Jason

There you go. Thanks for correcting me.
I remember reading about it being the last year of the decade last year.
Makes sense when you consider their being no year 0.
Once again, thanks.

Cheers
Byron

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results