Designing your character...

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I am certainly no authority on this and what I have to add is not from expertise but from the fact that I am going through this exact same process right now. With that caveat here is the one thing that I haven't heard yet, (possible I missed it in all these posts??) Your character sounds like "Mr. Perfect." Have you considered how off putting that may be to spectators? "I'm a mind reading card master who is in great shape, good with the ladies and even their kids, I know a lot about most topics and I'm a man of mystery to boot!"

Wow! That's a lot. I'm not saying that it won't work for you but it seems like an awful risk. Seems like your begging to get heckled. Think of a romantic comedy. Mr. perfect is never the hero...he is usually the villain...and somehow our plucky, imperfect, "everyman" over comes Mr. Perfect to steal the heart of the heroine.

Now some guys play the villain very well, and to be sure, for a mystery performer, that may become a powerful character. I do think it may be good to consider your faults as well. If you think of the guys who really seem to master their character, they seem not to be afraid to let some of their faults show. Lenart Green embraces the "drunken klutz," and Derren Brown embraces a very sick sence of humor(who the hell else thinks to hypnotize some poor dude and wake him up in the middle of a Zombie attack!)

Anyways, just something to think about. Over the last few months that I have been developing my character I have been seriously examining my faults and trying to figure out which ones I need to keep tucked safely away behind my super ego and which ones I can use to better entertain my audience.

I assume you are referering to me...

I think the questions here is....why not?

"I'm a mind reading card master who is in great shape, good with the ladies and even their kids, I know a lot about most topics and I'm a man of mystery to boot!"...of course I am not going to present that way to the spectators...the will only know that I am an ilusionist and mentalist...period...

To be honest...most of the things listed here can be achieved by normal means...
"A Mind reading card master...

I mean, mentalists also are good with sleight of hand, some billet switch require you have a good skill...also when I started studying mentalism I had a great degree of sleight of hand...it justs applies different to mentalism...it must be invisible...

"...who is in great shape..."

Of course you MUST be in good shape!! not only because after all the image is important...I hate seeing fat magicians that are that way because they are lazy!! not because their character should be like that...so I decided I would be different from all of them...so I stay in shape and do lots of gym and exercises...let alone the healthy way of living...being in good shape is essential and helps you in your image and self-estem...

"...Good with the ladies"

Should a magician be good with women? of course....all magicians should be great with any kind of audience, but since when I do mentalism it´s done in intimate way..I think you must read some books on seduction and attraction...it will help anyone..really...

"...and even their kids..."

This is the result of me exposing myself to all kind of audiences..sometimes you cannot chose who you are going to perform to...so I am good with kids..I even did some kids parties (and to be honest...I like doing them sometimes...just to have fun and keep learning)

"I know a lot about most topics"

I am an architect..so yes..I am supposed to know a lot about most subjects...the thing here is that...one of the things that magicians are guilty is that when the show is over..they only talk with clients and people about magic...thats right!!...so it´s very important to know how to behave with potential clients after the show...it´s also great for your own good to know lots of topics..

"... I'm a man of mystery to boot!"

That comes free with all the above...

My character as I said before...is the result of the circunstances and all the things I learned...I think is important to create a character based on you personality...anyway I need to sleep ...maybe later I´ll write my own thinking about this...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Luis, you should know that a mentalist should only be successful 85% of the time. I know that you understand that and I am sure that you demonstrate this within your effects. However in mentalism the mentalist is the primary effect everything else is secondary. Whilst you can demonstrate all these abilities with this super human abilities, it is the human side that makes you relatable and inturn likeable.

To contrast this the card cheat needs to have air tight technique. However their character knows that if their techniques are not perfect they could have serious problems. Also the audience knows that as long as the cards are out of the hands of the cheat not much could be done. Audiences do not know that the cheat could steal cards and use them in a later hand. But I digress, whilst the card cheat has super human abilities with cards, it is the fear, the moral issues and uncertainty that makes them human and relatable.

On the other hand the mentalist, if he has the the ability to get into everyone's minds, he runs the the very big risk of alienating the audinence. Whilst there are similarities between the card cheat and the mentalist, the only human side is the morality in which the mentalist uses his gifts and talents. Here is the problem with being Superhuman, with no identifiable weakness coupled with a overly dark persona there will always be the gap between yourself and the audience.

Remember the advice I gave you before about your audiences perceptions between your ability to read minds and your dexterity with your hands. Whilst I applaud you for creating a character that is different from the traditional molds be very careful you do not break your relationship with your audience and also their experience that is Luis Vega.

Feb 4, 2008
I think D ICE R elaborated the point I was trying to make quite well so I won't dwell much further on it. Just know that I wasn't trying to attack you Louis, just pointing out a flaw that might cause you some grief down the road if you don't at least address it. I'm not suggesting you gain weight and drop your cards!...lol. If you are strong and confident enough(And trust me, you'll need to be) ask the people close to you to tell you what they see as your weaknesses. Obviously there will be some that are just to dark, embarrassing, or depressing to embrace in your character but I am sure you will find some that can be almost "lovable" flaws that can be embraced.

If you get a chance read Derren Brown's "Absolute Magic." He discusses at length the difference between presenting the magician as a "Hero" figure as opposed to the "God Like" figure. I think the argument boils down to the fact that the audience can invest more emotional commitment, which translates into greater suspension of disbelief, while rooting for the hero as opposed to observing the god.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I think D ICE R elaborated the point I was trying to make quite well so I won't dwell much further on it. Just know that I wasn't trying to attack you Louis, just pointing out a flaw that might cause you some grief down the road if you don't at least address it. I'm not suggesting you gain weight and drop your cards!...lol. If you are strong and confident enough(And trust me, you'll need to be) ask the people close to you to tell you what they see as your weaknesses. Obviously there will be some that are just to dark, embarrassing, or depressing to embrace in your character but I am sure you will find some that can be almost "lovable" flaws that can be embraced.

If you get a chance read Derren Brown's "Absolute Magic." He discusses at length the difference between presenting the magician as a "Hero" figure as opposed to the "God Like" figure. I think the argument boils down to the fact that the audience can invest more emotional commitment, which translates into greater suspension of disbelief, while rooting for the hero as opposed to observing the god.

Ok...why everybody keeps telling me Louis!!! that´s a girl´s name here!!! lol!!

Anyway...I never thought you were attacking me...it´s only that it´s difficult to express feelings by writing...I was calm...

I did read the book...it was given to me by a friend...awesome by the way...I am still experimenting with the character...so I think I´ll keep coming back to get some advice..but overall it´s working great!!

Thanks for all the advice given...especially D ICE R!!

Feb 4, 2008
That sounds great. I'm soooo sorry about the wrong spelling! I should know better I have an Aunt named Louis! :eek:
Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results