DG : Symphony ///

REVIEW / SYMPHONY : Daniel Garcia

Review NOTE: As far as I could tell there was only one other review at the time this was posted, so I decided to attempt to write review of the product. If you have any questions or comments, don't hesitate to post/PM them. Also, I am writing this review from a customer who bought the DVD. Lastly, I may have gone "over the top" with the review but I think it's OK. Thanks!

: Overview
" Creative mastermind Daniel Garcia presents five effects hand selected from his upcoming Daniel Garcia Projects Volume 4, 5, and 6 set.

SYMPHONY contains five simple, powerful effects that are as visual as magic gets. Each is completely impromptu - no crazy gimmicks are required - and can be performed at a moment's notice.
"

Quoted from the official product pagehttp://www.theory11.com/tricks/symphony.php.

: Physical Material
The shipping was excellent. Purchased it Thursday night, shipped on Friday, here on Monday afternoon. I was not expecting it to be that quick! The DVD art really blew me away, as it was simple yet elegant.

: Quality
I noticed the technical quality was not as impressive as it had been with some of the other DVDs. I felt like Symphony was kept very straight forward like just a standard movie. It just didn't jump out to me like the other DVDs had. Each effect really stunned me. Five effects used in the DG arsenal for the past several years? They are very clever and not too complex.

: Format
The DVD contained performances from the streets and "alone with DG". I thought this was really cool, because I could see how the people reacted and then I could see how I reacted, respectively. The methods were taught in several steps, called "phases". There was even an extra section or two for DG to cover all the little details. What I really liked was how the camera captured several different viewpoints. Over the shoulder, under, etc. I remember this from the Trilogy and I really like this. At the end of the DVD there were several bloopers (DG singing not included :( ), a conclusion, and credits.

: Tricks Descriptions
Jacob's Ladder : A dollar bill visually passes through a stretched rubber band.
Void : A straw melts through a dollar bill several times.
Visa : Two hotel key cards "bounce" off each other via static electricity.
.44 : Four aces. Four kings. Phenomenal transitions. Notice it's plural.
Timeline 2.0 : A card is signed, placed into the box, vanishes, and reappears.

: Trick - Timeline 2.0 (Favorite)
Method - Interesting... uses a couple of simple moves that together, are powerful.
Instruction - DG should have focused on the presentation more.
Difficulty - Takes work but after a while it should be good.
Overall - Needs time (hehehe) and patience but overall awesome.

: Trick - Jacob's Ladder (2nd Favorite)
Method - Wow. How'd he ever come up with this? Really, really great.
Instruction - Very good. Multiple views. Goes over every little detail.
Difficulty - Will take some practice but shouldn't be too hard.
Overall - Doesn't look amazing, but should still get great reactions.

: Trick - Void (3rd Favorite)
Method - Pretty sneaky. Still, I would never have thought of it.
Instruction - Not perfect, but still good.
Difficulty - Not too bad. Work on the angles and you're good to go.
Overall - Not hard hitting in your face like the above two but still really nice.

: Trick - .44 (Tied 4th Favorite)
Method - Eh. Not too awesome.
Instruction - Good instruction, again, not perfect.
Difficulty - Work on a move or two and you'll have it down.
Overall - It just didn't WOW me like the others.

: Trick - Visa (Tied 4th Favorite)
Method - Not impressive.
Instruction - Very nice instruction.
Difficulty - Pretty easy, but the more you practice the better it looks.
Overall - Again, not a WOW. But if the moment is right it could be good.

: Tricks Overall
Each trick is specific - it requires a dollar bill and a rubber band. It requires four kings and four aces. You can't just whip out a deck of cards and expect to start performing. Each trick is impromptu which is really awesome. I presume I'll be using a couple of the tricks constantly and the others not so much.

: Extra Stuff
The bloopers were hilarious, as always. Music was great but I've heard some of it before. Graphics were really cool.

: Concept
From what I've seen I'm impressed, but not overly excited. It was a great DVD but I was left with an empty sort of feeling. What I think, is this was a great sample DVD. It sampled five tricks from DG Projects 4, 5, 6. These tricks weren't overall incredible, but it shows me the type of stuff to expect from DG on his three more projects. I can expect some really creative material that I'll love and then some stuff that I think is cool but stuff I wouldn't probably use.

: Overall
It was a really cool DVD because I fit a certain type of crowd. I really enjoy creative material, and Symphony had that. I enjoy impromptu effects, and Symphony had that. I enjoy rubber band effects, and Symphony had that. Etc. So I guess it's just a hit or miss type of DVD. I got lucky and hit, but I could see some people missing and not being too thrilled with it. It's a great DVD to show what's coming but not the quality that I've seen with other DVDs.

: Should I buy?
I've assembled a small list of small notes that are important if you are interested in purchasing Symphony.

- Type of person : You should be creative and patient.
- Setting : You can't just whip out the effects in every setting possible. You'll have wait for the perfect setting.
- Focus : You should have enough concentration to focus on the small details.
- Audience : You should want to impress your friends for a moment, then move on.

: Tech Specs
95 minutes / DVD or download or both / Filmed in Las Vegas / $30-$35 / 5 effects

: Note
I am writing this review from my perspective. I don't perform that much and I'm not the best magician on the planet, but I have an eye for quality magic. I think that somebody could love Symphony even if they disagree with my review. This is just non-factual information I am providing.

Review CONCLUSION:

I'd like to thank everybody for taking the time to read my review of SYMPHONY.
Have fun! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
May 31, 2008
: Trick - Jacob's Ladder (2nd Favorite)
Method - Wow. How'd he ever come up with this? Really, really great.
Instruction - Very good. Multiple views. Goes over every little detail.
Difficulty - Will take some practice but shouldn't be too hard.
Overall - Doesn't look amazing, but should still get great reactions.

Doesn't look amazing? It's extremely visual! I don't own symphony, but from what I've seen of Jacob's Latter it seems highly visual.

Aug 18, 2008
Doesn't look amazing? It's extremely visual! I don't own symphony, but from what I've seen of Jacob's Latter it seems highly visual.

It is highly visual, but its just doesnt have the WOW factor. I understand where you are coming from though.

Jan 13, 2008
What? Jacobs Ladder looks amazing. It looks so impossible, and its done so elegantly. I love it.

I would like to see more detail in this review. It sounded very noted like dot points.

J.
Agreed, the individual effect descriptions were very brief. And the other descriptions didn't seem all that fleshed out. I'd also call into question the recommended "audience"--just show your friends and move on? Huh? I didn't realize every effect needed to have over the top, yelling and screaming reactions to be performance worthy for people outside of your social group, as part of a routine. Odd.

Either way, it was a nice attempt at a review. Thanks for sharing your input. :)

I will update my review later to provide more information.

I think I said Jacob's Ladder didn't look amazing because if I were to see it I wouldn't start jumping up and down screaming. I don't know, it's just not one of those effects that make your eyes bug out. It is very visual, but I don't think it's a WOW type of trick. But I'll edit the review to make that clearer.

Thanks for the comments people.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I will update my review later to provide more information.

I think I said Jacob's Ladder didn't look amazing because if I were to see it I wouldn't start jumping up and down screaming. I don't know, it's just not one of those effects that make your eyes bug out. It is very visual, but I don't think it's a WOW type of trick. But I'll edit the review to make that clearer.

Thanks for the comments people.

Appreciate the very well-written review. Personally, and having seen live performances of each of these effects on the streets (I held the camera), I would respectfully disagree with your assessment on Jacob's Ladder. It certainly knocked me over the first time I saw it, along with many other professionals that have seen it done (Luke Dancy, Chad Nelson, Chris Kenner, Justin Kredible, Dan White, etc). But to each his own, and not every effect will fit your style. You're certainly entitled to your own opinion and preferred style and vibe in magic.

In my opinion, the effect is a 10 not only because it's visual as can be, but it's a worker - it happens in frame of your face (not down low), it involves the spectator, it's impromptu, and it's simple - allowing you to focus on your performance. For those reasons, it went straight to the top of my working repertoire.

Oct 23, 2007
Appreciate the very well-written review. Personally, and having seen live performances of each of these effects on the streets (I held the camera), I would respectfully disagree with your assessment on Jacob's Ladder. It certainly knocked me over the first time I saw it, along with many other professionals that have seen it done (Luke Dancy, Chad Nelson, Chris Kenner, Justin Kredible, Dan White, etc). But to each his own, and not every effect will fit your style. You're certainly entitled to your own opinion and preferred style and vibe in magic.

In my opinion, the effect is a 10 not only because it's visual as can be, but it's a worker - it happens in frame of your face (not down low), it involves the spectator, it's impromptu, and it's simple - allowing you to focus on your performance. For those reasons, it went straight to the top of my working repertoire.

completly agree with u man,
got the download, immediately fell in love with jacob's ladder and void, practised and sort of worked out a routine,
and i am testing in out on test subjects now, ..will update this post.

am i the only one who absolutely loves the force used in timeline 2.0, its awesome :D
Don't worry, you're not alone! I loved the force and loved the entire DVD. I now use all 5 effects. Mostly .44, Timeline 2.0 and Jacobs Ladder. I cannot see how someone could say no effects had a wow factor. Jacob's ladder, agreeing with JB is one of todays most visual tricks released.

Just my thoughts,
-Chase

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
After learning, practicing, and testing these effects I know all 5 will be used at one time or another.

Jacobs Ladder is my new optional closer when doing rubber band magic.

44 and Timeline 2.0 are both beautiful, simple, and great impromptu card tricks. I adopted .44 to an opener to an eventual spectator cutting to the aces. Timeline 2.0 is just a great trick, and the DGBS is something I will be using for many routines in the future.

Void...is the only trick I have yet to perfect and perform I love the handling, it just took less precedence in the long run.

VISA is the kind of magic I enjoy doing when my friends ask me to do something. Especially someone I'm just meeting.

All in all I couldn't be happier, and am glad people are saying these aren't 'gems' ...the less people using them, the happier I feel about being successful with them. :)

-Rik

May 14, 2009
France
Thank you for this great review.

My top 3 tricks are:
1- Jacob's Ladder (Done to my girlfriend and her sister. Their eyes almost poped out of their heads at the final penetration.)
2- Timeline 2.0 (For the impossible aspect of the trick, for the force and for the DG b*x st**l)
3- .44 (Because it helped me to learn correctly a sleight i didn't practiced well before and for the visual transposition at the end of the routine.)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results