Diagonal Palm Shift - Jason England

Sep 1, 2007
What do you guys think of the new 1on1? I like it, but I think the price is a little steep. 10 bucks for a move you can learn for free. I know I know, the teaching is most likely much better in the download, but still, I think 10 bucks is a little high. I might purchase this in the future, but right now, its a no.

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
What do you guys think of the new 1on1? I like it, but I think the price is a little steep. 10 bucks for a move you can learn for free. I know I know, the teaching is most likely much better in the download, but still, I think 10 bucks is a little high. I might purchase this in the future, but right now, its a no.
Keep in mind, this is roughly 35 minutes (the length of many feature length DVDs) of instruction from one of the foremost experts in card technique.

Plus... Jason is dreamy.

Sep 1, 2007
Yes, but its only one move. It can be used for many things, but its only 1 move.

As said above, Erdnase had a good write-up of it. don't get me wrong, I'd buy this download, but not for 10 bucks.

Aug 23, 2008
Creeper, you can't compare a 4 page write-up to nearly 40 MINUTES of instruction from one of the world's best at it. It's like night and day. Looking forward to learning this one. This is a move that I've always had trouble with. Looking forward to FINALLY getting it right; going to be a fun one to practice. Jason, more!

Frank

Sep 1, 2007
mehhhhhhhh...I'm tempted to buy it...but I don't know. If Jason can learn it from Erdnase, so can I.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
mehhhhhhhh...I'm tempted to buy it...but I don't know. If Jason can learn it from Erdnase, so can I.

You bring up an interesting point that I thought I'd chime in on. In no uncertain terms, I agree with you 101%. Jason would agree. And every other artist on our team would agree. You CAN learn this by study of Erdnase, and that would be a great start.

However, Jason does not sit in the video and dictate Erdnase's words for 35 minutes. The value of these 1-on-1's - the reason why they are such a valuable learning resource - is the one thing that these artists bring that is NOT in any book - experience.

Jason brings 20+ years of experience of not only using the move, but sharing tips through the years with Richard Turner, Steve Forte, Chris Kenner and many of his other close friends. You can't put a price on that - it's invaluable and adds an entire new dimension to the learning process. He shares common mistakes, angles, special tips, and even shows some additional learning resources at the end of the video that stretch well beyond the 5 pages of Erdnase. We spent nearly EIGHT HOURS in the t11.hq earlier this past week shooting this video, and it's remarkably thorough.

It is, in essense, a private lesson going over just about every nuance, with instruction by an undeniable expert on the subject - Jason England. That, I believe, is where the true value of these 1-on-1's reside. And that's been our goal with them since the beginning.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
You bring up an interesting point that I thought I'd chime in on. In no uncertain terms, I agree with you 101%. Jason would agree. And every other artist on our team would agree. You CAN learn this by study of Erdnase, and that would be a great start.

However, Jason does not sit in the video and dictate Erdnase's words for 35 minutes. The value of these 1-on-1's - the reason why they are such a valuable learning resource - is the one thing that these artists bring that is NOT in any book - experience.

Jason brings 20+ years of experience of not only using the move, but sharing tips through the years with Richard Turner, Steve Forte, Chris Kenner and many of his other close friends. You can't put a price on that - it's invaluable and adds an entire new dimension to the learning process. He shares common mistakes, angles, special tips, and even shows some additional learning resources at the end of the video that stretch well beyond the 5 pages of Erdnase.

That, I believe, is where the true value of these 1-on-1's reside. And that's been our goal with them since the beginning.

...And all that for just 10 bucks, creeper just buy it;)

Sep 1, 2007
man you make me want to buy this. I still don't know...I got a lot of money for christmas...but I also have a lot to practice...I think I'll sleep on it.

EDIT- yeah I'm probably gonna buy this.

Oct 23, 2007
I have seen this moved used in something else, i Just can't remember what. I do know this but it is well wroth 10 dollars. I have alot of old moves and slightes that i would pay alot more then 10$ for so this is a great deal.

Joey X

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
Making an unpopular, yet deceiving, creative, move known to everyone in an easy-to-learn 1-on-1 seems generous, but unfair to me.
Although I understand, you guys could've picked a move I didn't spend endless months practicing and "finding things out for myself."
It just dones't seem fair to me, but I understand it's for other people. Not me.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I'm with Creeper on this one. For me, it's not worth $10, but for the illiterate and impatient I guess it's worth it.
To each his own.

Maximo -

Someone that wants to hear what an expert has to say on a move for 35 minutes is neither illiterate nor impatient - they are wise. Every word, every syllable, every fragment of experience one can glean from a true expert should be worth it's weight in gold to any true student of the art. To disrespect that chance - and the artist that is offering that ability - is neither appropriate nor in the spirit of advancing instruction within this community.

A few months ago I had the chance to visit Steve Forte with Jason and Chris Kenner in the room. What did I do in this opportunity? What did I make of this chance? I listened. I listened to every word that was said. I listened to every fragment of opinion offered. It is not everyday that one gets the chance to hear the first-hand suggestions, tips, thoughts, and shared experiences from true, bonafide experts - and when that chance is offered, I value it more than words can express.

As mentioned in my previous post, one can undeniably learn many of these classic moves from the original resources in which they appear. But to think that you can learn every detail taught in tonight's video within the 5 pages of Erdnase instruction would be unequivocably incorrect. The true instruction within these videos is not the technique - the mechanism of motion - in each move. It's the advice, experience, and guidance in pursuit of perfection, offered by those - like Jason - with 20+ years of experience.

Could this be learned through the vast array of text resources out there? Absolutely. But to complement that, for $10 - for $50 - I'd sit in for a virtual private lesson from a modern expert any day of the week.

Feb 7, 2008
Why not do both?

I feel you can truly master this technique if you were to: read the method, practice it, and when you feel you have a good grasp on it, purchase the 1 on 1 and pick up bits and pieces that compliment and advance the technique.

This obviously does not apply to everyone, only those who are serious about learning this technique.

Just a thought.

Sep 1, 2007
The more I think about, the more I agree with my comments. Jason said in the demo that Erdnase perfected the move, making it that no one else could add anything to it. If thats the case, then you contradict yourself when you say new ideas are brought to the table.

I'm happy I'm not the minority in this argument. It seems a lot of people agree with me on this.

With all due respect, I'd pay 10 bucks to see a sleight done well, let alone learn it.

I'm yet to get any 1-on-1 yet, but this is extremly intresting, might as well snatch the SWE video with it ...

Creeper, with all due respect to Mr.England, I disagree with him about "bringing new ideas on the table", but then again, maybe he meant major changes, rather than minor ones, which is true. However, the minor bit of business here and add another bits there, you get a very good technique.

Any serious Erdnase student will realize the value of watching a sleight done well, in the old days people would travel all over to UK just to see Fred Robinson's passes and deals, you'd be the lucky to see Chris Kenner hitting a SWE. Mr.England does the DPS very well. For ten bucks? This is so worth it.

Nov 27, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

Another point to make is that there are many different resources that may teach the same effect or move, however, each one has its own perspective on the subject. I remember learning the pass from a fellow magician. He taught me all of the necessary moves and gave me his own advice. After that, I was told, practice - practice - practice.

While practicing, I started to look into other resources - books, other magicians, ect.. . I found that each one gave me tips and tricks to add to my learning experience and move me toward getting the move down. Each person had a different take on the same move - all as important as the last. Use all of your resources and take in as much information as you can on the subject.

If the 1 on 1 is that thorough, you'll more than likely learn a thing or two that Erdnase didn't cover.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results