Docc Hilford - The Vault

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Let be me be the first to say I do not normally review products. Out of all the products that I own I highly recommend some and I will only put the effort into a detailed review if I fell that product is that good and is not getting the respect it deserves.

If you are serious about mentalism and especially creating a powerful impression than this is the DVD set for you. It is a two DVD set totaling three and a half hours including the interviews. Whilst it appears to be long in duration there are only six effects taught on the whole set, there are a few reasons for this and I will discuss these later. Of the six routines I can see myself using them all in the right context. Four of the routines I could see myself using daily and one I would not use often just because it is too real. The other routine is very nice and a nice update on the handling of a classic effect but I never really liked the plot to begin with.

The Ball & Tube
Docc breathes life quite literally into this old classic.

This effect uses the classic gimmicked trick from all those beginner magic sets but with showmanship and a rational plot Docc turns this into a real amazing piece that intimately connects with the spectators. This was originally released as a stand alone manuscript that retails for about $15 - $20 so it is great value having it on this DVD set. There is so much going on in the presentation that Docc goes over in extreme detail that no stone is left unturned. I actually went to a Brick and Mortar shop after seeing this presentation just to by a ball and tube. Don't let the fact that this is so simple fool you that it cannot be an amazing show piece.

Styx
A demonstration of rapid calculation, beat your spectators even though they are using a calculator.

This is very similar to the ball & tube in the fact that it using a old gimmick that almost everyone has discarded and thought of being too transparent. He proves that nothing could be further form the truth. I would have got this aswell however the shop I went to did not have the correct props. However it is my personal opinion that demonstrations of skill can go either way but Docc does it very well. It has a nice kicker ending as well.

Pendule
A masterclass in using a pendulum and a mini showpiece that astonishes with multiple climaxes and incredible divinations.

The description does not give this effect justice. This is truly a demonstration of doing nothing and the pay off is a 15 minute act. I know when and where I will be using this effect.

Time Machine.
Docc's superb handling and adaptation of Larry Beckers HG Wells themed coin teleportation.

This is more a demonstration of Bizzare Magick than anything else. The is the effect that I do not really like the plot of. Although the little things that make this effect work are amazing and when I showed this to a friend of mine who enjoys the plot he could not stop talking about this for days. Even now he mentions it quite often.

Nostrum Booktest.
Any nook, any page and any word with two wonderful climaxes and plenty of audience participation.

If the other effects have not convinced you to buy this yet this one will. I am a huge fan of the book test and this one actually makes sense, in a sort of backwards way. I have used the Hoy Book test for years the Billion Monkeys booktest and the Brook Test and recently the WTYM book test. all of these are great however nothing comes close to this one. I scraped the sequence I had with my book test and have started using Docc's effect. It is also a lot more theatrical than normal book tests. Not to mention the fact that it gets the whole audience involved. Defiantly the highlight on the DVD full of highlights.

Slit
Not for the faint hearted, this is as real as it gets. Docc shows us he can be with this show piece, this will make them think you are real.

This is far and away the strongest thing on the DVD. I would only use this maybe once every 3 months if that. I would have make sure the mood is right but I would definitely use this in a Seance type performance or even after something like For Andruzzi. Very interesting very powerful just not something you can perform every day.

Interview
A thorough and extensive interview with the man himself. Every aspect and years of experience in a fun and thought provoking interview.

I don't really need to write anything about this. I am sure that you have gotten the point by now.

All I can say is that Docc is very good teacher in not only explaining how an effect works but the more importantly why it works. After watching this DVD you will understand that the presentation can turn something simple to something amazing.

Product of the Year.

*in my opinion.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results