Does this trick already exist?

Aug 26, 2010
Hello.

After some brainstorming I came up with a trick that, in short words and without revealing the method, is like this: spectator names any card they choose. They say it out loud. I grab a deck of cards from my pocket and open it wide (can be a fan). It happens that the only card that is turned face down is the named card. All other cards are facing up. And no, the spectator is not an assistant.
Please notice that no one touches the deck of cards in my pocket until the spectator says the card he/she chose.

This is a powerful trick when done properly. Because of this, I do not wish to unknowingly take credit of a trick that perhaps was already created by someone else. So I need to know if a trick like this (or something very, very similar) already exists and, if so, please tell me who created this so I can credit the right person.

Thanks in advance.

PS: This information is important to me because if I truly invented it then I can patent it, sell the method to those magic stores etc.

Jul 18, 2010
Did he say he was or wasn't using an invisible deck? I didn't see anything mentioned about it. I mean if he is then or course its old but jumping to conclusions like that is kind of silly.

Did he say he was or wasn't using an invisible deck? I didn't see anything mentioned about it. I mean if he is then or course its old but jumping to conclusions like that is kind of silly.

I can almost guarantee he is not using an Invisible Deck (knowingly), if he owns an Invisible Deck (thus using it in this trick) he would know the general effect that goes along with it. So hes not using an Invisible deck.

Jul 18, 2010
Well i presume its the invisible deck, how else can this be accomplished? unless he is in fact 'psychic' which is not true got to be a rough and smooth approach.

Just because you don't know the method doesn't mean its not possible. Maybe he's created some new gimmick or pysch force or sleight to accomplish it. The sky is the limit really. I mean just cause you can't think of a method doesn't make it impossible. You could be totally right and hes got an invis deck but hey. Id like to give the dude a shot.

EDIT: Guy above me you just contradicted yourself to the max. So now the question is...how? Haha.

Jul 18, 2010
Agreed. And something to show us its not an invisible deck. Or at least just saying it. I mean I certainly don't want you revealing it but at least come out and tell us that its not that.

The effect in general is called the Invisible Deck, one method uses an Invisible Deck. But there are many, many other ways of performing the Invisible Deck effect without the Invisible Deck.

Much like Scotch and Soda. The gimmick is called Scotch and Soda and so is the effect, that can be done other ways.

To original poster, you want to patent this effect, thats a bit rich dont you think?

J.

Aug 26, 2010
It's not the Invisible Deck. When I said that the cards can be opened in a fan that was pretty much a give-away, because you can't do that with the aforementioned trick.
A set-up is needed, but the set-up is much more... say... cleaner than that of Invisible Deck's. And yes, it involves a sleight of hand that I'd consider quite hard -- that's why I have never performed this trick and am still practicing it in front of a mirror to achieve 100% success.

I will try to borrow a camera and record it for you people when I have mastered it. Thank you for the replies.
And thank you SleightedMind for the recommendation, I will look that one up.

well for starters. if it is a new slight of hand trick, you cant get a patent on it. unless its a new gimmick of sorts then perhaps. but im going to take a stab that its probably done before if you have to ask on a forum. i would ask someone with knowledge of card effects and slights.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
The effect in general is called the Invisible Deck, one method uses an Invisible Deck. But there are many, many other ways of performing the Invisible Deck effect without the Invisible Deck.

Much like Scotch and Soda. The gimmick is called Scotch and Soda and so is the effect, that can be done other ways.

Actually the gimmick is called a dual sided coin from which S&S is one routine you can do with that gaff and a shell... big difference given the number of routines that use both... the "Invisible Deck" is a "gaffed" deck that earned its name by the original routine presented using it. Again, variations exist.

As to the effect you are asking about the chances are strong that your method has been used and is published. The only way you will be able to properly research this is to go to the historians (yea.. old guys like me) that specialize in card magic (more than one or two from teh local ring). Chances are far greater however that anything you come up with has already been done at some level... there's just way too much out there for that to not be the case, especially with card effects. But even the guys that design the big stuff "forget" and reinvent the wheel every now and then... I know we found that out many times when I was working with Creative Illusions.

To original poster, you want to patent this effect, thats a bit rich dont you think?

Actually, it would cost way more than he's likely to ever make if he were to go to that trouble. His best bet is to publish the effect in a reputable publication like MAGIC, Linking Rings, MUM, etc. which will give him an official copyright as historic record.

Although there is a chance that you are using your own method of the trick, the effect still has the same effect as the so called "invisible Deck". Although, it is possible you're using your own metod which could potentially make the trick harder, or easier for you, depending on your method.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results