Double review :: Coulisse + Subtle Change

Nov 7, 2009
Paris, France
Gentle Change by Astone

Production quality: 5* /5

Although it's a non-speaking download, the image is crisp and vivid. The download is innovative: it consist in a zip archive that contains multiple videos: this compensates for the lack of menu we find in most other downloads, and is a very good initiative of Magical Sleight, in my opinion.

Teaching: 4* /5

The technical aspect of the move is taught using over-the-shoulder cam, and extremely well detailed. However, what I find lacking is the absence of context: I would have appreciated some talking about the angles of the move, when to use the different variations, when to do the different clean-ups... But then again, if you have experience in card magic, you can figure these out yourself.

The move itself: 5*/5

What you see is what you get. It looks like the Zoso change, but it's actually practical for definitive card changes.
With a bit of thinking, the move can also be used for something else...

Conclusion:

If you like what you see on the trailer, hurry up and buy it, you won't be disappointed.
Plus, the move is not that hard to do, and fun to practice.

Coulisse by Alex

Production quality: 5* /5

Although it's a non-speaking download, the image is crisp and vivid. The download is innovative: it consist in a zip archive that contains multiple videos: this compensates for the lack of menu we find in most other downloads, and is a very good initiative of Magical Sleight, in my opinion.

Teaching: 4* /5

The technical aspect of the move is taught using over-the-shoulder cam, and extremely well detailed. However, what I find lacking is the absence of context: I would have appreciated a few words about the angles of the move, when or why to use it instead of a classic or an herman pass, and maybe some bit of theory on framing.

But then again, if you have experience in card magic, you can figure these out yourself.
The video also features a quick discussion between Alex and a young magician that covers how the move came about (that is to say, crediting).

The move itself: 4*/5

It's a shift. Hence it requires a good amount of practice, but it's definitely not "clipshift hard". You will be able to do it. However, I think you won't do it exactly the way Alex does. It's a new concept to play with, but you'll have to
adapt it to your own hand, and learning it will allow you to think about your pass and modify it for the best.

Conclusion:

If you are searching for THE pass/shift that suits your hands, you won't find it in a book or in a video. You have to develop it from a lot of different sources, and I believe this is a must-have in the quest of your perfect shift ;)

Overall conclusion:
Also, be sure to check out the other videos at Magic Sleight, they are definitely NOT getting the attention they deserve ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results