Retail Price: $189.00 USD

Learning Difficulty: Easy

Length of DVD: 38 Minutes

Features:

• Play All
  • Menu
  • SansMinds Products
  • Credits

The Alchemist series has been producing a stunning array of self metal bending effects lately. The first of their product line I got the chance to sample was the bending/unbending screw driver set. Now I’ve got my hands on Blossom the self bending fork from the creative minds at SansMinds Magic.

Metal bending has been a staple in the acts of metalists world wide for years. Something so simple, like spoon bending, has made fake psychics and magicians alike famous as signature pieces of their routines. Blossom takes the pain and the sleight of hand out of metal bending and makes the magic happen in the spectator’s hands. When you combine a Blossom fork with a standard metal bending routine as your closer you’ve got a piece of magic that you’ll be able to start religions with.

Blossom comes beautifully packed in a small red case with a DVD and a scroll containing the creators notes on the forks. Blossom has two varieties you can choose from, a faster reacting metal fork, and a slower reacting metal fork, leaving you the option to choose just how quickly you want the magic to take place. Also TV rights are NOT included! Feel free to perform this in your close up shows, parties, bars, and strolling street gigs, but you’re out of luck if you’ve got a TV network pointing cameras at you while you’re doing it.

Blossom comes complete with a DVD that covers set up, and execution of the effect. It’s wisely advised that you watch the DVD FIRST before you start playing with your fork. The fork comes packaged in its final “resting” position, and you’ll need to know how to safely set the fork up so it’s performance ready without damaging it. You won’t want to damage it because they’re pretty costly to replace… considering you’re buying a fork all-be-it a self bending one.

Blossom is a great trick to be done in just about any setting because it plays so well, and is very visual. It could be done as a standalone piece… but really it benefits more from a well polished metal bending routine being used prior with Blossom being the final closing number. As a closer, in this capacity, Blossom devastates. I’ve had a co-worker scream and drop the fork as the tines began to warp and spread apart in her own hands which resulted in her refusing to come near me for the rest of the day. Blossom doesn’t just bend at the handle, the tines bend and spread out as well similar to what Morgan Strebler teaches on his Liquid Metal DVD. This makes for a real nice ending image for the spectators minds to focus on.

Set up for the effect is easy but it will take a few minutes to get everything in place. This isn’t something you’re going to want to do walking around table to table. This is best used when you’ve planned out how, when, where, and why you’re going to use it. But make no mistakes, once you do the effects are staggering. Because it’s completely self-working Blossom can be performed 100% in the round. Hell, it can be done in the spectators hands themselves, which is how I prefer to do it, and it just makes it that much more powerful. And as far as forks go, Blossom looks like a normal dinner fork in size, shape, and weight, so you don’t have to worry about people thinking it’s an obvious prop. I would recommend that you set up the effect close to the time you plan to present it though to avoid any unexpected changes in the fork while it sits in your pocket, case, or where ever else you plan to keep it. While the metal doesn’t instantly react to warmer climate, or room temperatures, it never hurts to play it safe. Nothing sucks worse than reaching for your closer and finding that it’s already self worked while in your pocket as you’ve been carrying it around with you all day.

Overall this has been a good product. The kind of metal that the fork is made of isn’t new. This is something that’s been around for a long time. Will Tsai has only improved upon the concept with his entry into the field of self bending metal objects.

When I give my product scores below I am measuring them on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 Being absolute the worst score possible, and 10 being the absolute best, making a score of five average. The four points that I grade upon is Product Quality, Teaching Quality, Sound & Video Quality and Overall Quality.

Product Quality: 8

The price is a bit of a hard one to chew on. Nearly $200 dollars per fork, but the quality of the product is second to none. If you’re going to do self bending metal, then you’re going to want this effect.

Teaching Quality: 8

The teaching quality is really good on this DVD. You don’t want to damage your prop by setting it up wrong, and Will Tsai is great at teaching you what you need to know to set up and perform Blossom with confidence.

Video & Sound Quality: 9

Great video and sound quality.

Overall Quality: 8

If you do metal bending, or you ever wanted to try, this is a great finishing illusion to add to your routine.

Have a product you want reviewed? Want to see if it will stand up to the Draven Seal of Approval? Contact me directly at draven@williamdraven.com to find out how your product could be on the next Draven Reviews! Don't forget to like my blog where all my reviews are posted at www.williamdraven.wordpress.com.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results