Draven Reviews: Industrial Revelation

http://forums.theory11.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3852[/IMG

Title: Industrial Revelation
Artist: Jamie D. Grant
Producers: Jamie D. Grant
Link: [url]http://magicfriday.blogspot.com/2001/07/industrial-revelation.html[/url]
Retail Price: $125.00 +$15 shipping (anywhere in the world) USD.
Learning Difficulty: Easy
Notes: You may wish to purchase some clear mineral oil at your local Target or Wal-Mart.
Comes With:
• Gimmick
• Card Box
• Instructions
• Advertisements for other Jamie D. Grant products.

A simple card box is shown to the audience and the magician boasts that he can push a solid object through a solid deck of cards. He then takes a spectators coin (it can be signed) and visibly penetrates the deck box with the coin passing it clean through. The card box is opened and a heavy slab of solid steel is dumped out into the spectator’s hands!

Words cannot express the level of care and dedication Mr. Grant puts into his work. This level of customer service is such a rare thing anymore that when someone like Jamie puts all the time and effort into delivering you the highest quality prop for your money that he can; it’s easy to see how he easily builds such a loyal fan base. Mr. Grant’s master craftsmanship is apparent from the outside of the box the prop comes in to the actual prop itself.

What you receive is an expertly milled solid block of steel. The precision of the mechanical workings of this product is simple enough that it will work every time, and robust enough that it will stand up to even the harshest of performers without much fear of damage or malfunction. The added bonus is that, in my humble opinion, the more dinged up, used, and worn in the prop gets the better it adds to its genuineness. As a final thought about the product itself I just want to quickly point out how heavy this thing actually is. This thing really has a nice weight to it which I think only adds to the mystery when you perform the trick for someone.

Industrial Revelation is inspired off of the old classic Matchbox Penetration, but it’s been brought into modern times with the added steel brick as the kicker ending, and boy let me tell you what an ending it is! The audience never sees it coming. Within minutes of opening my Industrial Revelation, and setting it up I performed it for my wife. Her reply to the coin going through the deck box was “That was nice but I could see the pre-cut hole you have in the box.” I smiled and dumped the solid steel brick out into her hand and for once the engineers’ daughter that I married jaw hit the table and she fumbled for words. The only thing she could come up with was “nice”. In the ten years I’ve been with her I can count on one hand the number of effects that she’s been either stumped or amazed by. Now I can add Industrial Revelation to that list.

The product is very practical for just about any use. Since it’s only a deck box, and deck box sized steel brick it packs up small enough to fit into your pants pocket. Ideally it’s a close up workers dream but given the weight of the steel brick, and the unexpected impossibility of it dumping out of the card box at the end I can see it working for parlor or stage. The only set back is that this isn’t a magic trick that has an instant reset. You will need to go somewhere private to reset the trick for your next performance, so doing this strolling may be a bit of a challenge. The good news though is that the reset, once the prop has been broken in a bit, takes about 10 seconds. So even a strolling worker could get some good use out of this thing!

Overall I’m very satisfied with the product. I knew I wanted one when I saw Jamie demo this at the Magic Live convention. This has been one of those products that went immediately from its packaging into my close up case. Since I received it I’ve not been able to put it down, and the performance results have been very pleasing.

When I give my product scores below I am measuring them on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 Being absolute the worst score possible, and 10 being the absolute best, making a score of five average. The four points that I grade upon is Product Quality, Instructions Quality, Practicality and Overall Quality.

Product Quality: 9
$125 + 15 shipping is a bit steep for something the size of a deck of cards, but for the craftsmanship, the product, and the customer service that goes into it I’d say it’s worth it!

Teaching Quality: 8
Thank god Mr. Grant didn’t feel the need to release a 30 minute DVD on the teaching and handling of this effect like so many other magic companies are want to do now days. His instructions are clear, easy to understand, and easy to follow.

Practicality: 9
This product packs small, and also packs one hell of a punch! Talk about something that you can take with you anywhere and perform anytime with minimal setup or reset. This thing will never leave my close up case.

Overall Quality: 9
This product has just made me a life time fan of Jamie’s work. Industrial Revelation is a testament to his creative power, and ability to produce a valuable product that won’t leave my act anytime soon. I emphatically recommend this product to you, and encourage you to buy one off of Jamie as soon as possible. You will not be sorry that you did. This product has earned the Draven Seal of Approval.

[IMG]http://forums.theory11.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4610

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamie D. Grant

theory11 columnist
Oct 12, 2008
Vancouver
www.cardsinabottle.com
Wow!

What an amazing review!! I'm just on my phone, but let me quickly say, "THANKS!!!"

It's not produced by Theory 11, though (even though I obviously love it here) and the name is pretty close ;) ...Industrial Revelation.

Thanks William!!!

Feb 4, 2008
Great Review Will. I may be adding this to my list of must have items very soon.
This is my "Pride and Joy" of my close-up stuff. It is not just the effect, it is the quality of the gimmick, the attention to detail, and the customer service. Jamie is not just clever guy and a skilled craftsman, he's a class act! So yeah...just get it. You won't regret.

Jan 17, 2011
themagicnetwork.com
I would also like to put in a good word for Industrial Revelation (I use mine all the time and the reactions are always amazing...people talk about it for days after), and also add a little news item here that Jamie has been kind enough to give me an Industrial Revelation to give away. (I am also giving away "The Vault" and Red JAQKs). I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll just post a link to the contest details and won't mention it again:
http://themagicnetwork.com/magician...trial-revelation-plus-the-vault-and-red-jaqks
Cheers,
V.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results