Effects you are on the edge not to do because of exposure.

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
Hey I was just wondering what effects do you tend not to do because of the rapid exposure on youtube.

Being in school if you perform to anyone who would like to know, mostly everyone. They would either google it or go on youtube.

The effects are amazing yet cannot be performed because people keep exposing them.

Sinful (One I cannot perform, if anyone does a simple search the whole dvd in 2 parts are there for viewing)

Healed and Sealed (Exposed on metacafe and youtube)

Anyone have any things they tend not to do because of exposure?

Stigmata is one of my pet effects I do and it is exposed a tiny bit but enough where I can do it.

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
I do everything
It just makes me feel good.
It means i performed the trick so well that they had to do research and figure out how its done.

Oh well if they know.

They're the stupid ones that couldn't just leave there mind fried in the first place.

~Jordan

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
There are countless things exposed on YouTube and other places where anyone can post videos of anything... A good rule of thumb that I use: Before buying a trick that's been out a while, just Google search the name of the trick you're interested in, and add the simple word(s) exposed or revealed. If you can't find it, then I'd probably buy it. But if it's everwhere, there it is.

Use your noodle!

-Matt

Aug 31, 2007
Sinful (One I cannot perform, if anyone does a simple search the whole dvd in 2 parts are there for viewing)

It may be on youtube, but keep in mind that only a small percent of the population has seen it. I've performed sinful plenty of times and haven't been caught out. One guy came extremely close to guessing the method, but he was a a real genius I gotta figure everything out type person.

Sep 2, 2007
Almost every new trick is revealed on the internet. That's why I try to stick with tricks that are not as well-known, or those found in magic books because not many tend to look there. Further, whenever I do a trick, I don't reveal its actual name because then its easy to just look it up. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
JTM

Aug 31, 2007
Newton, MA
There are countless things exposed on YouTube and other places where anyone can post videos of anything... A good rule of thumb that I use: Before buying a trick that's been out a while, just Google search the name of the trick you're interested in, and add the simple word(s) exposed or revealed. If you can't find it, then I'd probably buy it. But if it's everwhere, there it is.

Use your noodle!

-Matt

Are you saying that people should not buy effects because they can learn them for free? Or that they shouldn't buy effects that are easily found because people may know them? It sounded like you were condoning exposure...but maybe you meant the second option.
Adam

Sep 2, 2007
Are you saying that people should not buy effects because they can learn them for free? Or that they shouldn't buy effects that are easily found because people may know them? It sounded like you were condoning exposure...but maybe you meant the second option.
Adam

I think what he meant was that if someone wants to buy a trick that hasn't been exposed, then he search for it to first find out if it has, and then decide whether to buy it or not.

Cheers,
JTM

Sep 2, 2007
Firstly, I don't understand how they would know to search for "Sinful" on
youtube if you hadn't exposed the name of the trick to them first, unless they
searched "coin into soda can" or something along those lines.

As far as I'm concerned, yes it's a problem, but if you let that limit what you
perform, you're seriously putting up barriers to your potential. Granted, if
everyone actually KNOWS how to do it, then obviously you wouldn't want to
perform it. But having a fear of someone possibly finding out from an internet
search shouldn't stop you from performing an amazing effect.

One last thing that was already mentioned but I'll reiterate in my own words,
try to present in such a way that they won't have the obvious key words to
search (like using the term "invisible deck" when using the invisible deck would
be a bad idea)

-Jiten

Sep 1, 2007
I now see why some of you complain so much about exposure. Because you let the exposure monkeys win.

I honestly think this is just proof that the magic community is far too reactive. We let things happen and then complain about them while at the same time doing nothing proactive to remedy the situation.

I know people who have fooled audiences who know how to do the Balducci levitation with the Balducci. Every time I debate whether or not to do something because of exposure, I think of that and ask myself, "What's my excuse?"

Sep 2, 2007
Firstly, I don't understand how they would know to search for "Sinful" on
youtube if you hadn't exposed the name of the trick to them first, unless they
searched "coin into soda can" or something along those lines.

Hmm, how would you know?:D

Like, I said before try not to reveal the names of the tricks that are performed, and if it does become a problem, look up some old tricks in magic books that aren't exposed because people don't like read books.

I think exposure is more of a problem for the creaters of an effect, rather than the magician performing it because they miss out profiting from the effect; not that anyone would invent a trick just to profit from it.:D

Cheers,
JTM

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
I have gone as far as to not doing any ACR because of YouTube.

Me as well. Ending of the recent school year I watched a senior during lunch doing an ACR, he was really bad at patter and everything else but could still pull off a double lift and spectators exposed him right there. Not because of the double lift but because they knew how it was done because of the internet.

This is why I'm trying to stick with more different things people aren't as interested in such as Mentalism, DG's Warning, etc..I'm hoping I can at least be able to use the things at theory 11.

Sep 1, 2007
I have gone as far as to not doing any ACR because of YouTube.

Me as well.

This is so sad.

I've been doing an ACR regularly for months. The number of times I've been caught lies somewhere between zero and, uh... double zero. That means 1 of three things.

A. I'm just that awesome.

B. You guys are making a big deal out of nothing and giving up without even having tried.

C. Both.

I'm going with C.

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
You try going to school with people you perform for. I'm sure it is fine performing any trick for 20+ year olds. I'm just talking in most of our situations. (Probably not yours)

Your criticism isn't helpful.

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
You try going to school with people you perform for. I'm sure it is fine performing any trick for 20+ year olds. I'm just talking in most of our situations. (Probably not yours)

Your criticism isn't helpful.

I do.
It must be you.
No body figures anything out
sure they youtube it. but they only find a few effects.
And like i said if they had to go as far as you tubing well then i did my job well

~Jordan

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
I do.
It must be you.
No body figures anything out
sure they youtube it. but they only find a few effects.
And like i said if they had to go as far as you tubing well then i did my job well

~Jordan

Read my post above, they exposed a kid that was doing it at my school. I watched them put him to shame right in front of me...and that trick was....the ACR.

There were discussions in my entire class the day after David Blaine's Drowned Alive special exposing -I didn't partake in any of these discussions- how self tying shoelaces was done. In almost everyone of my classes, and they were correct! People are smarter than you'd think.

Also a few months ago before the recent school year ended people even talked about how Criss' Levitation (his released one) was done. Are people just dumb in your area or are people in Washington geniuses?

Sep 1, 2007
Leesburg, Virginia.
Well sead Steerpike. I know that with the right presentation, you can fool ANY audience. I've fooled audiences before with a Balducci when they knew it. They said "You aren't just doing this right?" and I quickly replied "No." and performed it. They freaked out and ran away. Now I want everybody here that it's not the trick that fooled them, but the way I presented it. Let's say somebody knows the Balducci levitation and you begin to perform. They might think "Oh, I know how this is done." but then you'll begin to concentrate and breathe deeply. You raise your hands to the sky and act as if you're really trying to break free. I've found that many people will think "Wait. Why is he doing that? I guess he's not doing it the way I thought." and even though you do it the same way, the presentation made it appear as a more difficult illusion and also gave the moment more drama and tension. Just my thoughts.

Aug 31, 2007
Michigan
This is so sad.

I've been doing an ACR regularly for months. The number of times I've been caught lies somewhere between zero and, uh... double zero. That means 1 of three things.

A. I'm just that awesome.

B. You guys are making a big deal out of nothing and giving up without even having tried.

C. Both.

I'm going with C.

Well you must be pretty awesome, because I said I don't do ACR because of YouTube, and you call me and Blindside sad. Seriously, and no offense, but that was a bit pathetic.

I was doing ACR to this crowd. I executed perfectly. Guess how many were amazed? Absolutely none of them. The responces were "Thats retarded" "That is so easy you just...." "You need to practice more." (Alas it was perfect.) "I learned how to do that on YouTube."

I don't care that you are awesome. I am not making a real big deal out of it. I just don't do it anymore since just about everyone that isn't and is a magician knows how to do it. Besides, there are tricks better than ACR that I can do.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results