Erdnase Hero or Villain?

Jun 29, 2010
France
The best thing I read about informations on Erdnase was David Britland and Gazzo's "Phantoms of the Card Table". It contains an entire chapter dedicated to the mystery of Erdnase, all details found on him through years are mentioned in it; at least, there are a lot. Moreover I think TeeDee had read it too, beacause many of things he said are said in. And I approve him on all his claims.
Concerning my personnal opinion on Erdnase, I think he was actually a card cheat. Who has written his book for make advance the art of card manipulation, no matter that was in card magic or card cheating, that's the reader who make this choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
London
The best thing I read about informations on Erdnase was David Britland and Gazzo's "Phantoms of the Card Table". It contains an entire chapter dedicated to the mystery of Erdnase, all details found on him through years are mentioned in it; at least, there are a lot. Moreover I think TeeDee had read it too, beacause many of things he said are said in. And I approve him on all his claims.

Yes, I have read that, but the best resources on the Erdnase identity issue are Richard Hatch's contributions to Allan Ackerman's DVD set, the Jeff Busby and Bart Whaley book The Man Who Knows Erdnase, and the massive Erdnase thread on the Genii forum here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 13, 2010
Juan Tamariz has the hypothesis that Erdnase was written by the Peruvian 19th century magician L'Homme Masque, who lived in Europe and is considered one of the greatest magician in history, even Dai Vernon himself counts him among the three greatest magicians. During the IX Latinamerican Congress of Magic FLASOMA 2009 held in Peru, he explained the reasons and the foundation due to which the author of Erdnase has to be L'Homme Masque. During the explanation of this theory Gaetan Bloom was present, supporting this hypothesis.
Has anybody more information on this?

Sep 2, 2007
London
Has anybody more information on this?

It's dealt with briefly in the Genii thread I linked to earlier. The consensus seems to be that L'Homme Masque probably isn't Erdnase, given that he isn't known to have entered the US, and, the clincher for me, didn't fit Marshall D Smith's description. Plus, for me, I think it's fairly clear that the author wasn't a professional magician.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results