Everyone should read this

This article was written by an acquaintance of mine- Craig Browning and is being reprinted here with permission. I have seen a LOT of "I created this brand new trick last night threads" lately and I feel that this needs to be reposted here- don't hate me for it. Someone who writes "I created it last night." obviously has not researched anything about the effect and does not know if it is original. A little warning however, many people consider Craig's writings a little elitist, however it is the message of the post that should be taken into consideration, not the tone.

Craig Browning said:
I’m Special, I Just Invented Something…
Craig Browning said:

P. Craig Browning

Quote possibly the worse thing ever put in a magic book was the line, “To Become a Famous Magician, Write a Book!”… I think it was Henry Hay that made that suggestion and over the past six years or so, I’ve wanted to hunt the man down and shoot him because of it.

Why?

For some reason our world has suddenly become inundated with a plethora of genus types; 14 and 15 year old kids that have been studying magic the past two to maybe five years, that think they are read enough and experienced enough to not just write and produce a book, but ask outrageous money for an electronic download of it. A small fortune for someone’s theoretical ideas; material that is not typically audience tested or properly worked out by testing. Not just by the innovator by his associates that work in the real world on a daily basis.

Let me give you an idea of what goes on in the world of the “Big Boys” when we create magic for you guys to buy. An effect like Rick Maue’s FATE {http://www.deceptionsunlimited.com/fate.html} first goes through a month or two of personal development by Rick himself then he starts talking it up with people like Docc Hilford, Banachek, Jamie Ian Swiss, John Stetson, Chris Carter and myself. We take it out for two or three months and grind it hard, using it in our shows or when we have opportunity so that we “Know” all that can be known about the technique or routine. We all take notes, try different types of presentations and themes then share what we have found with Rick or whoever it may be that’s asked for our help and our two-cents worth. After six or so months of actual field testing (research) working the bugs out, scripting discussions, etc. the product is ready for the next step of the process; looking into how to best manufacture, protect and market it. This can take an additional two to three months, sometimes more, depending on what the device is, and the logistics involved.

So we finally have a product as we come close to the end a one full year of testing and development, we get the inventory together, call our distributors and arrange for the ads; most all advertising has to go in at least 30 days in advance for the standard publication in order to guarantee location within the source (what page your ad will go on) it sometimes requires a 3-4 month advance submission “camera ready.”

In all of this you see how much time goes into the typical PROFESSIONAL release and the process is really close to the same for just about everything we do be it a grand illusion, card trick or book. I won’t even go into proper CD/DVD production or creating a solid lecture for video presentation, etc. But I will bring in one element most ignore when it comes to all these innovations and contributions – EXPERIENCE.

Over the past two months I believe it’s been, I’ve seen over a dozen people with less than five years invested into just studying magic let alone having any actual on-stage experience, claim to have “invented” a new effect, device/gimmick, et al. They add to their boast that “I’ve searched everyone and found nothing like it…” and unless they have direct access to the Magic Castle’s, Gary Darwin’s or the Magic Circle’s library (to name a few I’m aware of) I can assure you, they haven’t done the footwork. More so, most are terrified of the idea of asking a genuine authority like Max Maven (when it comes to cards or mentalism type material) or Jim Stinemeyer or Bill Smith when it comes to stage type stuff e.g. they haven’t done the footwork. (By the way, we old know-it-alls like Dale Shrimpton, Peter Marucci and I still ask other people about things and can be found frequently in the act of kicking ourselves for not remembering something.)

Just recently I reviewed a book by a young man that I’ve watched go through some stuff over the years. I thought it was well put together and had some great thinking and yet, I got chewed out because I didn’t pick up on the fact that he was “stealing from others”… as several put it. Well, for starters I don’t own all the books on the market and too, my memory tends to be c*** (not the best) for the most part. Secondly, the lad gave credit where credit was due; he may not have statements in the book from the originators of something complete with some kind of certification and whatever other “permission” type proofs people need now days for farting (after all, passing the gas was someone else’s idea first…). Long story short, the kid did do the right thing as far as I can tell, I didn’t recognize anything that seemed to be overt exposure but I bring his grief up so as to point out to all your self-publishing wiz-kids that want to get on the fast track to fame and misfortune, that this is another reason to check and double check your facts. Producing material that’s not been properly pulled together can and will result in a political nightmare that could destroy your career hopes and dreams.

So How Do I Become Known if I Can’t Write a Book?

I’m not saying you “can’t” write a book only that your age and lack of experience works against your success. You probably don’t want to hear that let alone believe it, but it’s a horrible truth; society is prejudiced when it comes to the maturation issue.

If you read Genii, you’ve probably heard of a guy named Mark Tripp… I believe it’s Linking Ring that features a writer named Joshua Kane. These are names, like Peter Marucci and I, that the public has learned to know and over time trust as the result of repetition and familiarity. There’s a ton of us out there and if you allow history to be your teacher you should wake up to the fact that contributing to magazines or if someone likes your material enough to do so, let them put a piece of yours in a book…

But I’m Not Making Money From It!

Nope! Not yet! And that’s the important word – YET!

The business word is tricky, you could gamble on a high investment quick return deal that’s a one shot program – do or die. Or, you can take the slower proven path of making a series of smaller investments over time and just allowing them to grow.

When you contribute two or three articles a year to one or two different publications a year, it starts adding up, YOU begin earning name recognition. Too, you will begin getting the kind of positive and critical feedback YOU NEED in order to grow as a personality and contributor to this industry. There will come a time when you just show up at a magic convention and people will want to meet you vs. you chasing certain people down and trying to meet them. For that matter, if your material is solid you will get asked by magic groups about your availability for doing a lecture or working a convention and so forth.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST.

Craig Browning said:
EGO is the biggest killer in show biz. It kills on many levels, the biggest being how it blinds us to the simple, proven and more practical courses of action; it prevents us from seeing honestly who we are and our “stations” in the mix of things. More important, our ego would rather encourage us to rush into things than it will guide us in directions that go against that instant fix – the drug of ego-stroking and instant gratification.

At 14, 15 and 16 I’d already started designing magic but unlike most, I’d already been on stage a number of years at a very steady level; my perspectives were different as were my resources. But, the wisest move I ever made was to sit on my designs and concepts and not put them out way back then (many of which will be coming out in the next few years). Not only did my holding back lend to me a resource for passive income in my latter years, it allowed me to work out all the bugs and create a superior system from what the original ideas were. One can only make those kinds of changes when he/she experiences life, sees what’s out there and LEARNS.

I believe it was in the TalkMAGIC forum a month or two ago, a lad logged in and claimed he know all there was about levitations and yet, he’d never heard of an Aga, Astro, Light Than Air, Gomolo, Asrah, etc. I wasn’t even going into some of the more exotic levitation systems; these are quite old terms yet common to someone familiar with magic history and the world of stage illusion. The horrid thing is, you can own six or seven of any one of these classic devices and no two will work or look similar. I once owned six different types of Asrah levitation systems just so I could perform it under any setting, even on the streets or in a living room… yet, I still didn’t know it all; more than most but there was still information, techniques and presentational twists known to others that I’d yet discovered.

If such is the case with an item as “rare” as a grand illusion of this sort, imagine how high the odds are stacked against someone when it comes to creating something “original” with a deck of cards; variations to what others have done, yes! But to literally create something “new”… the odds are outrageously against you.

I’m not saying these things to thwart your creativity, that’s the last thing I’d ever do. But I felt that a glass of cold water was needed on this passionate dance, just so the eager can get a glimpse of what reality is in this world and what may probably prove the better course of action.

Yes, there are exceptions to what I’m saying but I’ve found in most every instance in which a young person excels early in life, they have one or more old guys like me standing in the wings. Case in point… just prior to 9/11 I met a young very shy yet creative kid on line. This kid was brilliant in his use of words and psychological tactics for creating impossible scenarios.

Long story short I and another fellow you may have heard of by the name of Knepper, started encouraging and supporting this lad. Today he stands at the threshold of becoming one of the new shining stars in Las Vegas and is recognized internationally as one of the leading effects consultants of the trade… I’m talking about Luke Jermay. He’s one of those exceptions and though he was “fast tracked” to some degree, he’ll tell you himself that he got his hands slapped here and there along the way because his ego was trying to go out of check. Personally I believe he’s going to go further than Kenton or I ever dreamed of going and he’s not alone.

Anywho… just learn to pace yourselves, use some common sense and don’t go chasing fleeting dreams. Take your time and let things happen in a more methodic and practical way that works with a deliberate plan vs. “what ifs”.

Thanks for reading, now discuss!
~David Rysin

Oct 11, 2007
I'm 13 and I totally agree with you, because a year ago I learned the hard way by spending hours at a time trying to create effects. Then I would submit them somewhere and i would never get a reply, I wish I would've had that article when I was an eager 12-year-old. Now, I am on a steady rise and will start doing restaurant magic in about a week. I also have a professional magician in close contact and he has definitely helped me get to where I am today, instead of letting my ego take over.

And even though I am researching and working on a made-up effect, I don't expect it to be anything huge.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Great, long essay, and, not only fun to read, but also all the point smade were very valid and I agree with tem all. Thanks for posting it, I appreciate it.

Glad you all enjoyed it- you can give drop Craig a "Thank you." PM on the talkmagic.co.uk forums.

There have just been way too many "I created this new move." and "Check out my new effect." posts on here lately and I felt that someone needed to bring this up. Although there is a chance that your effect is original guys, research it before claiming anything about it. Also don't go around telling people about it on the open forums because you never know when someone is going to take your idea, find out it's original, and claim it to be theirs before you ever have a chance to. Magicians get ripped off every day and magicians rip off every day- not doing your research about something that you thought of solo and calling it original the day after thinking of it does not help that fact. You're either going to end up being ripped off, or you are going to loose respect from the community for not doing your research and ripping someone else off. Instead, take your time with the effect- research it, develop it, and then ask some magicians you trust to help research it for you. Even still mistakes can happen- Digital Dissolve is a classic example of that- and it is then your responsibility to make it known to everyone that you did make a mistake and properly credit the real author.

Good luck guys! And don't get discouraged, some of you probably do have something original; however we will never know unless you properly research your effect.

~David Rysin

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
I think that if a kid like me, and a quite large portion of the site, invents something that they think is good, they should submit it to t11 or E, or mjm magic, because you can't say kids can't do this, because some probably could, thats why the should submit them, I mean they will still be famous, their name will be under creator, they just won't be theone teaching it.

Sep 1, 2007
I think that if a kid like me, and a quite large portion of the site, invents something that they think is good, they should submit it to t11 or E, or mjm magic, because you can't say kids can't do this, because some probably could, thats why the should submit them, I mean they will still be famous, their name will be under creator, they just won't be theone teaching it.

You didn't read the whole essay, did you?

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
I think they need to teach more of that stuff called common sense in elementary school. Because obviously its not that common.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I'd just like to thank David and everyone for their support and kind words. Those that know of me know I can be a tough old bear but my intent is always centered in making you (all of us) better at what it is we do.

Sep 1, 2007
I think they need to teach more of that stuff called common sense in elementary school. Because obviously its not that common.

It's ironic isn't it?

Great thread, Craig. Hopefully this will be an eye-opener for all the young magicians trying to jump right in and be famous for an effect. I was under this spell for a couple days when I first started magic this last summer and everything in your essay is completely true. Everyone really should read this...

Zeus

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results