Exalt of the Weird battle

Sep 1, 2007
Fresh new challenge, droogies.

Later this month, I'll be releasing my second ebook and my first treatise on the performance of bizarre magic, Exalt of the Weird. The intent is to inject some different thinking into the genre while also bringing it up for a breath of commercial fresh air.

With that in mind, I'm issuing a challenge to the first two people willing to take it on. I want to see you design an original presentation for an effect or routine (preferably one of your own, although pre-published effects are perfectly acceptable) with the theme of describing an urban legend. You heard me right. Urban legends are a recapitulation of folklore and ancient storytelling tradition. They provide a deep cultural insight into our fears, anxieties, and values. And the first step to making magic both commercial and artistic is giving an audience something that can speak to them, something that strikes a chord in them on some level.

Urban legends numbers in the thousands, if not millions if you count different variations on the same plot. There is perfect fodder to be had. Show me your best.

Once again, this must be performed for an audience of at least person other than the camera operator. Eye contact is a must, and looking directly at the camera is forbidden. If you do not perform speaking English or if your audio has some flaws, subtitles will be accepted. The setting can be any of your choosing, whether it be in the street, at a table, or otherwise.

The winner of the contest will receive a free PDF copy of Exalt of the Weird on the day of its release.

Sep 1, 2007
Your choice, though if you'd prefer to take the challenge outside of the actual contest, that's fine too.

The book in question is about advanced performance theory, studying not only urban legends, but also Jungian psychology and early 20th century pulp literature. Part of the aim is also to make bizarre magic more palatable to audiences.

As such, this challenge is aimed at those with a solid foundation in performance theory who are looking to expand.

I applaud you for wanting to take on a challenge that goes beyond just doing a move for a camera, but consider whether you should compete for the book, or take up the challenge as a personal improvement thing with another member of the forum purely out of the desire to try something new.

Sep 1, 2007
If you can't find a partner to challenge, then go ahead and make the video anyway and post it to the media section for critique. The only way we're going to raise the bar around here is to increase the presence of people trying out new, exciting things.

Sep 1, 2007
To counteract lower traffic, I'm asking those of you who are interested in this and would like to either compete in the challenge or see others compete to spread the word. Let people you think would be interested in this know about it. Even if they decide not to, get them to spread the word.

Like I said, we need to get higher visibility to the interesting ideas. We can't get rid of those asinine Queens battles and (eww) pass battles, but we can show the people with some real talent that there are still people who aspire to something better.

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
I thought of the greatest idea for this. But I'd need, like, four weeks before I'm ready. Even if this doesn't take off, I've got a video a-comin'!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results