Expanded shell problems

Nov 29, 2008
MY shell only seems to work with coins that have smooth edges ( i mean kennedy halves btw). If i ever use coins with the normal coin edges, they get stuck in shell and i have to pry them out. Luckily this has never happened to me in a routine. Is there anyway to deal with this? any tips? Because i like using the muscle pass, and its harder to do with the smooth edges, for me at least.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
well for starters, prying a coin out of a shell is usually a bad idea and can damage a shell. I would invest in a bang ring. second, before doing anything else inspect the shell and make sure there are no defects or deviations which a coin with ridges might be catching on, for instance a point in the edge from prying it out before. Beyond that, i would consider taking some very VERY find sandpaper and maybe gently trying to work the rim of the shell a little to smooth it out. Im not sure if this is a good idea but you could try it if you get desperate. Beyond that i would just continue to work with it and play with it. THe coin and shell will eventually work each other out and fit easier and more loosely just from wear. You could also try bring it to a convention if your ever at one and let a pro take a look at it. Beyond that your choices are limited. Maybe just learn to work with smooth edges? ive come to love soft coins.

Baird, you care to comment?

(i added the last part because for a week every time i posted about coins scottbaird would post directly following me within 30 minutes and show me up with his infinite coin knowledge. haha, he's like my coin-tastic stalker)

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
Assuming this is not a locking set like a scotch and soda, and is meant to freely sit on top of a coin (expanded shells, etc.)...

Find a small silk (a thin one, like for the TT trick, or blendo).

Drape it over the open side of the shell. Place a coin in the shell as well (so the two "coins" are separated by the silk.)

Push the coin in as far as it'll go. It should get stuck. Use the silk to "pop" the coin out.

Repeat as needed. This slowly opens the shell up a tiny amount each time.

If you find the coin still gets stuck, you can fold the silk in half, so that the coins are separated by two layers, and try that.

TRUST ME, IT WORKS.

Scott. (Baird).

Dec 19, 2009
Assuming this is not a locking set like a scotch and soda, and is meant to freely sit on top of a coin (expanded shells, etc.)...

Drape it over the open side of the shell. Place a coin in the shell as well (so the two "coins" are separated by the silk.)

Push the coin in as far as it'll go. It should get stuck. Use the silk to "pop" the coin out.

If you find the coin still gets stuck, you can fold the silk in half, so that the coins are separated by two layers, and try that.

TRUST ME, IT WORKS.

Scott. (Baird).

I second this. This has been proven to work over and over and over.

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN

TRUST ME, IT WORKS.

Scott. (Baird).

I like this idea. I took some sand paper to my coin that dropped and got a sharp edge to it. Fixed that coin with out changing the shell.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results