Favourite openers

Apr 15, 2008
Just thought it would be interesting to see your favourite openers and motivations to why.

Opener: Personally, especially in restaurants situations (before walking up to the first table, bit of set up..), I use a routine I made from some David Stone stuff. Flash coin production, coin vanishes and reappears, then changes to a toothpaste tube. Freaky.

Motivation: Flash gives a great first impression, and when the coin changes to something completely unexpected, it's just like magic.

Apr 28, 2008
As I do almost all card magic, I will do something that's going to break their preconceptions of card tricks. I will make sure it's not a 'Pick a card' trick, as I think as soon as the audience hears those words they will stop caring. Something like TiVo Transpo or the Queens gets their attention are they realise that i'm worth watching. After that, I can then do a 'Pick a card' trick and they won't mind as i've already proved myself.

Apr 14, 2008
When approaching spectators spring the cards. This can serve as an opener in that it draws their attention to you and what you're doing. Springing the cards also allows you to say hey i'm a magician without saying i'm a magician as the majority of lay people can't spring (at least not as effectively as magi) plus it's a pretty boss looking move.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results