Finding a personal "style"

Mar 21, 2016
I've only been doing magic for a couple of months, and mostly I just know a few card tricks that I've shown people, though I have managed to get a "holy" followed by an expletive or two, and the occasional gasp. What I'd really like to do, though, is expand. I don't necessarily want to focus primarily/solely on cards in the future.

I have seen it said that you should focus less on how an effect is done and more on the effect produced itself, then if (1.) you're really excited by the effect and (2.) it fits your style, you should put the effort in to learn it, learning whatever sleights and so forth are involved even if it's a lot of work for you.

The question is, how do I figure out what style of magic I want to do? I mean, I can tell you what magic inspired me to want to learn, and I can tell you what magic I find the most beautiful. Will that help?

The magic I tend to like the most is magic that's dramatic, where there's tension beyond just "how did they do that?" I'm especially fond of Teller's "Shadows," Xavier Mortimer's mirror routine he did on Fool Us, this show by Christian Cagigal (which I assume it's okay to link since it's on his own YouTube channel), and the needle-swallowing trick that Houdini used to do. I think I like them because the magic is what makes it happen, but the it that happens feels like it has weight to it. How it goes down matters, whether it's because a story is being told or because the person doing it seems to be at risk of harm.

Incidentally, I also really like escapology, fire-walking, glass-walking, and other similar skills which aren't magic but are sometimes done by people who also do magic, probably for the same reasons. (Don't worry; I'm not about to try to escape from some kind of water tank or walk on glass without serious professional training.)

So, what kind of magic should I look into? How do I create a personal style, and how to I adjust effects to fit that style?

Am I getting in over my head right now? Should I just completely forget about these questions and stick to card tricks for now, coming back to this at some point in the future?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The question is, how do I figure out what style of magic I want to do? I mean, I can tell you what magic inspired me to want to learn, and I can tell you what magic I find the most beautiful. Will that help?

In life, we are most drawn to that which we want to become.

The magic I tend to like the most is magic that's dramatic, where there's tension beyond just "how did they do that?" I'm especially fond of Teller's "Shadows," Xavier Mortimer's mirror routine he did on Fool Us, this show by Christian Cagigal (which I assume it's okay to link since it's on his own YouTube channel), and the needle-swallowing trick that Houdini used to do. I think I like them because the magic is what makes it happen, but the it that happens feels like it has weight to it. How it goes down matters, whether it's because a story is being told or because the person doing it seems to be at risk of harm

What you are noticing is the difference between tricks and presentation pieces. Larry Haas talks about how to turn tricks into magic in his book Transformations. He says that "Tricks become magic through powerful presentation." He talks about the difference between "tricks" and a "performance piece." A trick is something that fools someone and is focused on the method. A performance piece includes the method as a component, but "also involves all of the psychological and theatrical elements."

I agree that it takes some substance or weight to an effect or routine to make it a performance piece. In a way, that is why I'm drawn toward many of the classics like linking rings, egg bag, miser's dream, cups & balls, zombie ball, etc. I'm also drawn to various authors and creators because I like their style. I think that my style also draws me toward my like for parlor magic rather than close-up or stage illusions.

So, what kind of magic should I look into? How do I create a personal style, and how to I adjust effects to fit that style?

Ask yourself what it is about an effect that draws it to you? Is it the impossibility? Is it the presentation? Is it the possiblility for humor?

When you look at effects, try to visualize yourself performing the effect. What would you do? What would you say? How do you make it your own?

Also, watch a variety of magicians perform -- Tamariz, Slydini, Vernon, Wonder, Houchin, etc. See what you like about their performances.

Think about your character when performing. Try to write down an explanation of your character.

Am I getting in over my head right now? Should I just completely forget about these questions and stick to card tricks for now, coming back to this at some point in the future?

Why take the time to learn magic that isn't what you want to do? Why put off finding beauty in your magic while you do more card tricks that leave you unsatisified?

You are not over your head, you merely know the direction you need to travel.

Feel free to post your thoughts here as you progress or to send me a PM.

Enjoy the journey.

Reactions: PKSon
Jun 13, 2013
As always RealityOne has done a wonderful job guiding. I don't want to just repeat what he said, he is right and that is great advice for you to move forward.

I have "made up" a category of magic I call thematic magic. It's magic that is almost theatrical. Like Xavier mirror (which by the way is a favorite of mine, you should see his white glove routine) or Teller. These guys are doing their job well. Getting you to care, that is the goal in short. How you get them to care is up to you. Haas' book is great resource. I would also say while watching other magicians write down what effects you like and why. I love rope magic because it can be so "realistic" I dislike a lot of mentalism because it just feels like "look at me!" Magic which I don't like. I see myself as a performer who can tap into something else that others can't. But it's not something I'm in control of just something I too can observe. This is the hero or god dilemma you may want to consider. Do you want to be seen as a god all powerful and able to to miracles? Or a hero? Someone who is like everyone else but is a part of something beyond themselves and able to turn the situation around. I choose the hero route because it provides the best presentation for me. I focus a lot on justification in what I do. Something that Tommy Wonder did all the time that I picked up. This means I try to avoid magic for the sake of doing magic, there has to be a reason.

Anyway rant aside it sounds like you are a fan of geek magic as well as that thematic magic style. You could create some wonderful routines through that. And you are on the right route!

Reactions: RealityOne

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I see myself as a performer who can tap into something else that others can't. But it's not something I'm in control of just something I too can observe. This is the hero or god dilemma you may want to consider. Do you want to be seen as a god all powerful and able to to miracles? Or a hero? Someone who is like everyone else but is a part of something beyond themselves and able to turn the situation around. I choose the hero route because it provides the best presentation for me.

I think the God or Hero are very valid characters. The Percy Jackson books give really great insights to the multiple variations on those themes showing that both Gods and Heros have their flaws which both work for them and against them.

But don't be limited to those characters. There are lots of other characters to explore. My character is very much a guide into imagination. I give the audience the sense that if you follow me, wonderful things can happen. To me, imagination is part story and part play. Have you ever asked a 4 year old what they are doing when they are playing -- you are likely to get a detailed explanation (look at the Toy Story movies as an example of the necessary backstory for play). My character is part trickster -- not that I perform tricks, but that audience knows there is more to what I say then what is said (think about that for a few minutes).

I focus a lot on justification in what I do. Something that Tommy Wonder did all the time that I picked up. This means I try to avoid magic for the sake of doing magic, there has to be a reason.

Agreed. Otherwise it comes across as "look what I can do and you can't."

So, what kind of magic should I look into?

I finally had time to watch Christian Cagigal's performance and re-read your post in light of Fredrick's comment about geek / bizzare magic. Based on that, I have some book recommendations:

Robert Neale - Life, Death and Other Card Tricks (Card tricks with meaning)
Walt Anthony - Tales of Enchantment (A variety of effects with amazingly strong patter)
Larry Haas - Gift Magic (A collection of magic tricks where the spectator receives a souvenir)
Robert Neale - This is Not a Book (Meaningful magic with cards and other props)
Ed Solomon - Oh, No, Not Another Card Trick (Card tricks with meaning)
Any other book by Robert Neale, Larry Haas or Eugene Burger

Life, Death and Other Card Tricks is out of print, but you can occasionally find one on the Magic Cafe or Ebay. Walt's book may be your first purchase because it does have a bizzare magic focus. I love This is Not a Book and Gift Magic is a great book. I don't have Ed Solomon's book (it is on my long list of more books to get) or the recent Robert Neale books (search Theory and the Art of Magic to find them).

I would be glad to work with anyone, like Fredrick and Newdini, who is trying to develop presentations of what Fredrick has aptly named Theatrical Magic. I'm only a PM away.

Mar 8, 2016

Yeah, you're in over your head. Yep forget about the questions.

By the way here's a book you can look at:
Approaching magic by David Regal

Mar 8, 2016
I would be glad to work with anyone, like Fredrick and Newdini, who is trying to develop presentations of what Fredrick has aptly named Theatrical Magic. I'm only a PM away.

Are you for real? I don't get it.

By the way. There is such a thing as Theatrical Magic before said guy aptly named it.

Jun 13, 2013
Are you for real? I don't get it.

By the way. There is such a thing as Theatrical Magic before said guy aptly named it.

Actually what I said was "thematic magic" magic with a theme. This of course has to be theatrical by nature.

Just to clarify

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Actually what I said was "thematic magic" magic with a theme. This of course has to be theatrical by nature.

Just to clarify

I see, or more accurately, I didn't see.
I have "made up" a category of magic I call thematic magic. It's magic that is almost theatrical.

Without my reading glasses, it looked like you used the word theatrical twice. My mistake.

The only references I could find is John Pyka's 2007 book Theatrical Magic and Max Howard's 2014 Creating Theatrical Magic. Hardly a plethora of work on the topic.

Jun 13, 2013
I see, or more accurately, I didn't see.

Without my reading glasses, it looked like you used the word theatrical twice. My mistake.

The only references I could find is John Pyka's 2007 book Theatrical Magic and Max Howard's 2014 Creating Theatrical Magic. Hardly a plethora of work on the topic.

No worries, the words for me go hand in hand so I would say both are what try to create.

I agree there is definitely not a lot on the topic either way

Apr 12, 2016
I think one element that needs to be part of finding that style is a realistic understanding of how you personally come across (assuming you decide that the “performer you” is an extension of “real you” – it’s a different story if you simply create/adopt a character or persona like Whit Hayden did to become "Pop" Hayden).

Are you naturally funny? Do you come across as authoritative or not so much? Classy and urbane or blue collar and down to earth? Graceful or not? Friendly or intimidating?

The point is that how you come across in the day to day can be the foundation of your performing personality as well as suggest the presentations of tricks themselves. If you come across as casual, friendly and self-deprecating than a Max Maven-esque performance isn’t going to fit. If you are 14, a presentation suitable for a seasoned world traveler is going to detract from the performance. If people aren’t regularly laughing at your wit, a humorous presentation might not the best choice.

So one important place to start is to take a clear eyed inventory of how you come across and let that begin to suggest your performing persona. If you have magic buddies, ask them what magician you remind them of or ask friends and family how they would describe you. That will all help crystalize elements of who you can be as a performer.

Just a thought…

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results