First purchase time! Please help!

Jul 18, 2008
Ok, so I've been into magic for a while; I've bought a lot of different products from different sites, and quite a few bad ones. I've been out of magic for over a year and I really want to get back into it, especially for college!

So...I'll tell you what I'm looking for, and maybe you can help!

1) No cards

I love them, but I would like to first by a trick using a more normal object, something I could perform say as an opener, something that really gets reactions, something visual. In the past I've been almost entirely cards and I'm looking to change that.

At the same time, nothing like control, which requires you to build up to it (build intimacy) for maximum effect.

2) Light Gimmicks preferred

I'd rather not need to carry around a coin gaff around. On the other hand, a gimmicked object like a sharpie or something more simple would be fine.

Also, I'd rather not do something really bizarre like saw :/, Not really my thing.

I've considered eXile (as I love the preview), but all the negative reviews have really turned me off. Also, it seems it isn't as visual/effective as it is on the video.

Please, if there's an effect not on T11, I'd really appreciate it as well, I'll definitely be buying more card-based effects here later on (namely Panic+Believe).

So any ideas? Thanks!

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hmm... I would tell you that Control would be the closest thing to fit your criteria, however, it may fall under the "bizzare" category. Prophet could also fit under the category, or, Extreme Burn by Richard Sanders. Both of those effects are wonderful to perform. I usually carry them around in my wallet, so it's no big hassle to take the gimmick with you.

Not on Theory11? I would have to go with The Gecko if you are looking for some un-card-related stuff. I bought the Gecko at a magic shop in England and haven't regretted it. Once you get the hang of it, it's really versatile and wonderfully visual. Another thing you may just want to consider is something from ellusionist, such as Factory Sealed, or any other coin thru bottle effect. Usually I carry a water bottle around during my day (high school) and can perform this quite easily when I want to. One last thing you could think about is Spongeballs, these aren't too hard to carry around, if you put them in a plastic bag, they can just get squished up and won't be a bugger at all! They aren't too hard either :D.

Hope you benefit from this response.

Good luck!

Cheers,

//Sanj

D

Deleted member 2755

Go to the 1 on 1 section of the site. Look for Redline by Dan Hauss. I use it all the time and its awesome. ;)

As for non-Theory11 related, check out Art of Astonishment Volumes 1 - 3 by Paul Harris. It has EVERYTHING. You'll find card magic, coin magic, and magic with everyday objects. One effect I love, but have yet to perform is Leaf. (I believe its called Leaf.) You rip a leaf off of a tree, write whatever you want on it, and then put it back on the tree. The leaf stays there as it is actually attached to the tree. You'll also find nice little gags such as having a monster in your peanut butter or making the top piece of bread from your sandwich actually levitate off your sandwich a bit. The stuff in those 3 books are amazing. I'm not even done reading them. Not even close.

-Doug

Jul 18, 2008
Hmm

Thanks for the rapid responses, I'll check out what you've suggested and get back to you!

As for Control, I was under the impression that it's not an opener at all, but something reserved for more personal settings/the end of a performance after you've gained their trust. But I'll definitely be considering it, it just seems a little strong to open with, you know?

If your looking for something with no cards then Redline is definetely a good option. I carry chapstick around wherever I go and I perform this quite a bit.

If you want some rather simple coin routines that work well there is a few in the 1-on-1 section as well as in "David Stones Real Secrets to Magic Vol.i/ii". There is also numerous other effects using money, rings, cards, rope, etc. As well as some really valuable tips on table-hopping magic.

-RA69

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results