Forbidden by Dan Hauss

Aug 1, 2009
Hey guys,

This will be the first time I've posted a review on anything here. As many of you know (and for those who don't), Alex Pandrea's site, "The Blue Crown" launched a couple nights ago, debuting six new products for the magic community, I am going to try and not give much away and do my best here. But, here's my review for Forbidden. If you have any questions about it, I'll do my best to answer them.

Review:
Dan Hauss has come up with a practical and quite easy effect with simply just an apple. It's very strong and I have gone out and performed this and got great reactions from it. He offers a variety of variations and other trick ideas for this simple concept.

Download:
Very good quality and Dan's very easy to follow and kind of funny as well. He goes in depth on the handling and everything can be seen pretty clearly on the download. Pretty good quality overall.

Gaff (Gimmick):
Uhh this is a tough one because calling it a "gimmick" is a stretch because you dont need to add anything to the effect to make this "gimmick". Its easy to make and Dan goes over it and it should take you about maybe 1 minute to make max. (Although you maight have to reset and get a different apple every time if you wanna take a bite out of the apple at the end) Very simple and easy to do and very deceptive and cheap as well. Really one of those "why didn't I think of that" moments.

Restored Apple:
It's what it sounds like. You take a bit of the apple than you set it down than come back to it and its restored. He never really goes into doing this as a stand alone effect but just talks about doing it as a opener than coming back to it healed later. But for this you can really use your imagination to think of a lot of different patter and ways to reveal. Lots of applications for this.

Card in Apple:
Really neat idea. Spectators are floored by this everytime I do it and they love it. He offers 2 phases to this. One where the signed card has a bite through it and the second phase where the piece of their signed card appears in your mouth. Very very simple and very cool effect. Dont let the simplicity turn you off. Very neat by Dan on this one.

Coin in Apple:
Just a little disappointed by this one. Their are only certain situations you can do this in and to me it seems just a little dirty but it could work and I could see strong reactions from it. The effect is a signed quarter disappears and appears in a already bitten than healed apple. (Although he gives no vanishes to use)

Overall:
Great download and great effect. I love it and will and DO use this. Both stage and walk around it could work. I recommend it if it fits your style. If biting an apple and having one around isn't your style that don't get this. But its a real worker cool idea. Entertaining to watch. Good quality. Super simple to do.

Difficulty:
3 out of 10 (Easy)

Rating:
4.5/5

I do recommend this if it fits your style. Which it does for me but I understand not everybody. But definetly pick this up and you won't be disapointed!

Nov 3, 2010
hey magic of adam just wanted to say it looks like a cool effect to perform at like school. Do you think this effect would actually be good to perform at restaurant gigs and on the street , you would prob have to carry a few apples around.

Apr 1, 2009
California
All you need is one apple. no more, no less. I don't think this effect is best performed strolling. I suppose you can make it so, but due to its nature, it's a piece that seems to strive on a big performance. I love how Dan suggests using it. It's like poetry.

Aug 1, 2009
Ya doing it for street I have done before and it can work if your create with it. But, best with a stage routine or possible table hopping. Its something you show at the beginning than come back to it type thing. I dont know if that helped but honestly with only being $7 you really can't go wrong because its a great method and entertaining and you'll find a way to use it.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Nice review dude! It certainly looks like a fun idea that I might use for friends, but really, it's the kind of thing that should be in a magic magazine or as bumper content for a stronger effect, not a stand-alone at all.
Fans of apple magic should look at Ray Kosbys colour changing apple in Impossible Close Up, it's neat!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results