Forcing theory/ Peek theory

Nov 27, 2009
I've heard many, many different theories about when to use a force and all of them are credible, good theories. The question is when should you use a force? I would probably use a force more often if I was better at a the Classic force (Of course not the same card every time.)

The other question is, when should you use a peek? I can think of more than one situation where knowing a card is useful.

Nov 3, 2009
the best situation i can think of using a peek is if youre using a key card. gotta know what that card is, ya know?

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
It's such a vague question; the answer probably is just whenever you need to.

As with any sleight, use it when it's necessary and justified; if it's not necessary, then don't, because it just adds clutter to the routine. Forcing and Peeking are obviously useful in a wide variety of circumstances, so it just depends on what you're performing. Sometimes they can be used indirectly, sometimes you should pass on them for a better method.

Nov 27, 2009
Thanks.

Thanks for the tips. I've heard people say use a classic force every time, and I've heard people say what you guys have said, and was trying to get an idea of what the dominate theory is.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Do whatever you think is right. We could sit here and tell you a thousand different things, and they'd all be right...for whoever said them.

Part of growing in magic is to experiment and try different things, if it works stick with it, if it doesn't toss it out.

Maybe get a walk-around gig, every audience is different, and you can try 15-20 different things in one night. It makes everything easier to analyze because it's all within a few hours instead of days at a time.

As with forcing and peeking, Prae said it best, whenever you need a force or a peek, use one.

Easy as that.

The wording you use when forcing is almost as important, if you use the hindu force, don't say 'the card you stopped me at' but instead, 'the card you selected'. Or 'the card you merely thought of' if you're reading their mind.

Words play bigger than actions when spectators try to remember what just happened.

Aug 4, 2009
I've heard people say to use the classic force as often as possible, especially when you don't need to force.. it's practice and builds confidence.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results