Free trick! (gasp)

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
It's nice of Dalton to give anything away for free and you're complaining about not having a description? Simple solution is don't email him.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I kind of agree with formula. If you don't want the trick without an description than don't email him. He's being nice just to offer a free trick and he gets to set parameters for it.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I comment because I see this as an aspect of how flooded with random material the market is and also how magicians seem to be treating magic like Pokemon (gotta learn 'em all!). It's like, "Oh my GOD! A FREE trick! I MUST LEARN THIS!"

No. One only has so much time and energy available to them, and that time and energy should be devoted to the things that will enhance their performances. It's arrogant to assume that anything he's willing to toss out into the aether is deserving of attention.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I comment because I see this as an aspect of how flooded with random material the market is and also how magicians seem to be treating magic like Pokemon (gotta learn 'em all!). It's like, "Oh my GOD! A FREE trick! I MUST LEARN THIS!"

No. One only has so much time and energy available to them, and that time and energy should be devoted to the things that will enhance their performances. It's arrogant to assume that anything he's willing to toss out into the aether is deserving of attention.

Well I emailed Dalton, because I have liked his style in the past, and I received the effect it is a very unique idea, typical Dalton Wayne. I spent all of $0 and I have a new way to perform a new concept. No bumps, no bruises, just a little magic tutorial to watch at work. Thank you Dalton :)

I like Dalton, I think he has something to offer to the magic community. He's not a complete nobody. It is "arrogant" to think that it's not worth your time, if you don't think it is, don't bother with it. I'm thinking Dalton just released the download to be a nice guy. It's rude to assume otherwise.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I like Dalton, I think he has something to offer to the magic community. He's not a complete nobody. It is "arrogant" to think that it's not worth your time, if you don't think it is, don't bother with it. I'm thinking Dalton just released the download to be a nice guy. It's rude to assume otherwise.

Never said it wasn't nice, nor that it wasn't worth my time. Also never said he's a complete nobody. But if David Copperfield walked up to me and said, "Want to learn a free trick?" I would have immediately said, "What is it?" If it wasn't something I'm interested in, I would say, "No, thanks. Want to grab a beer and talk shop?" It's not arrogant to acknowledge when something isn't what you're looking for, nor something you want to devote energy to. Some of us are quite busy and devoting the time to contact someone, watch a video and then decide if they were worth contacting is not using time efficiently. However, had the title of the trick been in the initial post, I could have made the judgement then and said, "No, thanks. But it's cool you're offering. If you're ever in my area, we should grab a beer and talk shop."

I have no opinion on Dalton. Never really paid attention to him, and that's fine, I am basically a nobody so my knowing him or not shouldn't matter. I don't follow magicians and don't often watch other magicians perform. Which is why I had no idea what he might be offering and whether it was something I'm interested in.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I have to agree with Chris (jejeje)....there is a LOT of free magic in the internet...and by free I mean magic that is offered by free..not Illegal downloads and torrents... sometime ago Morgan Strebler was offering a free trick, but he gave the description and I didn´t get the trick because as a profesional...just downloading a trick just "because" is NOISE in my head...

Also I feel it´s kind arrogant (I hope not) to just use his name (I really don´t know who he is, besides the fact that he has released some stuff in the WIRE, like a lot of people) to get hype, like "Hey I am dalton wayne and I have a free trick....since is from me, it must be awesome...

Anyway..I do agree that if you are not interested in the trick, you just don´t e-mail him and it´s done... but to be grateful he is giving free stuff and therefore we should be happy and download it just because ...I think I am gonna pass...

Feb 4, 2008
The Morgan Strebbler effect was "Sticky" which is an awesome effect. Not quite as good as Peter Turner's version of that plot but still really good if you are unaware of the principle. but I do agree that it gets like "noise." But the truth is, releasing good magic is just good business. Repeat business and all.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results