Freezer Burn by Chris Lafferty (Pre-release Review)

Hi I just got Freezer Burn by Chris Lafferty from Dee for Free. And he asked me to get a pre-review ASAP. Soo here it is.

e-Book: The e-Book it self is pretty plain, Iam not sure if it is the final design. The front and back cover looks very good, but inside its just in Times New Roman and no pictures or anything. 4/10

Effects

Chill!: In this trick some water is poured into the performers hand the he closes his hand into a fist then blows onto it and it turns into ICE. Its a pretty cool effect, I have tried this one out to my self and it looks soooo cool. There is a set up but it is only very minimal. 8/10

Igloo: In this trick a selected card is dropped into a glass or water then the card is suspended in a block of ICE. Very cool trick. Bit of a set up, very easy to perform. 9/10

Freezer Burn: This is an ICE production using a flame. This seams pretty cool I haven't been able to do it yet becouse I dont have a prop that needs to me used. 8/10

Freezer Burn V2: Much the same as above but the actual production looks better. I personally like the sound of this production better. Its seams more mysterious. 9/10

Slammer: A shot glass full of water is shacked above the table and magically turns into ICE. This trick is the most complicated in the book, but prob looks the best. 9/10

Overall: I think that this e-Book has some very cool ideas not sure if I would use any of the effects. But its nice to have the knowledge. 9/10

JDEN

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hey man.

Thanks for the overview!

I'm very pleased you consider the information on offer to be of a high calibre, though I'm intrigued as to why you can't see yourself performing these routines? I have been playing with these little gems for a long time now (Slammer and CHILL are the oldest effects, for trivia fans), and they have all served me very well.

Glad you liked the booklet and BTW: The lack of pics is due to the fact that I really didn't think it necessary- everything is fully and clearly explained in good old human words!!

Thanks!!!!

CL

Aug 5, 2008
I must say, magic in this area has been very much unexplored. If one were to be able to do real magic, one would be able to control the elements as well.

Whilst fire has long since been already part of close-up magic, the same can not be said for the element of water, and I think the ideas, concepts behind the effects must be really refreshing.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Effects (and creating magic with water and ice) has long been a massive part of my repertoire, and a huge element in my pursuit of 'real magic'.

My intent with this mini book is to show just a selection of my idea's on using ice within magic. I hope that it also inspires others to open their eyes to the world of possibilities in using unorthodox principles, props and techniques.

The booklet will be on sale soon, if anybody has an interest they can contact Dee or myself directly.

I'll also try to get some vids of me performing the effects so you can get an idea of how I've been doing the effects for years.

Thanks!

CL

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Hey guys, thanks for the words. 1 word... IGLOO.

One of the maddest ice effects I've ever seen, specially after the extra work we did on it - a card is selected, folded in quarters index out, and dropped into a borrowed glass of water.

As it submerges is visibly and audibly encases it's self in a block of ice... you even hear the fizzle!:p

D.

Sep 1, 2007
Hey guys, thanks for the words. 1 word... IGLOO.

One of the maddest ice effects I've ever seen, specially after the extra work we did on it - a card is selected, folded in quarters index out, and dropped into a borrowed glass of water.

As it submerges is visibly and audibly encases it's self in a block of ice... you even hear the fizzle!:p

D.

Hey, Herr Christopher, when can I nab me a copy of this? All sounds pretty sick.

D

Deleted member 2755

Freezer Burn by Chris Lafferty

Hey guys. Remember when Dee Christopher came out with Cinders and 95% of the the first page of reviews was just a bunch of reviews of Cinders? Prepare for it to happen again with the release of Freezer by Chris Lafferty!

Originally upon receiving this, my initial reaction was "Well this looks interesting." And indeed it was. :) I'll first go into descriptions of each effect. Then at the end of all my effect descriptions, I'll talk about things such as practicality, gimmicks, and more.

Chill!
Just as Chris put it.... this is a very cool effect. (Pun so intended it's not even funny.) Imagine seeing a spectator drinking a glass of water. You are thirsty and you ask them to poor a tiny bit in your hands for a quick sip. You close your hand and blow on it. Upon opening your hand, the spectator sees that the water has actually turned into a solid ice cube!

Igloo
.... This is full of awesomeness.... Favorite effect in the whole PDF. It's so simple and direct yet it hits so hard. A card is chosen and looked at. The spectator then folds it into fourths and hands the magician the folded up card. The pips stay outward so the chosen card is in view the whole time. Bring it over a glass of water and simply clap your hands. While clapping, let the card drop into the water and look at your spectators as they just stare in awe when they see that the card has now actually froze inside an ice cube that seems to have just formed out of nowhere. Oh man this is just so creative it annoys me. I cannot wait to use this one. It's just.... so.... awesome.... Igloo is worth the price of the PDF on its own.

Freezer Burn
Very cool. An effect that uses two everyday objects. A piece of tissue paper is borrowed from a spectator. The spectator puts a flame up to the napkin and it turns into a giant ball of light! After the giant ball of light vanishes in a split second, nothing remains but an ice cube from the flame!

Love it love it love it love it love it. A spectator will go CRAZY when they see that an ice cube just forms from a ball of fire. It has elements of fire, danger, and in your face direct magic. A great effect for the strolling magician who wants to get away from the cards and coins for a quick sec.

Freezer Burn V2
A different looking production of the ice from the original Freezer Burn. Not going to elaborate, but it's just as cool as the first!

Slammer
I think the guys in college especially will love this one for obvious reasons. ;) A shot glass is filled with water and swings back and forth. Eventually the magician stops swinging the shot glass to show that all of the water in the glass has frozen into ice!

I like it, but I don't see myself using this one really. It requires a bit of stuff. (No, it is not any sort of freezing powder or gel.) However, those whom do decide to use it will love it. Chris says that magicians have accused him of having gel or powder sleeved. This is not true. It's very cool, but I don't see myself using it really.
------------------------------------------------------------
Now that you know all of the effects, I'll talk about the PDF as a whole.

I've never really even thought of doing magic with ice before. This was something that I would had never come up with on my own! Ice is just a regular object that no one even thinks about. Doing magic with it is just so incredibly awesome.

Everything in this PDF is practical. It helps if you have a certain gimmick that I won't name here do to some possible exposure. However, most magicians probably have it and if you don't, get one because I don't know why you don't have one. ;) It is not required though with the exception of one effect.

Some restaurant magicians will find this practical while others won't. Some of it is almost impromptu while some requires some set up. The stuff in this PDF is not really difficult at all so anyone at any skill level will be able to master the effects in this PDF. If you don't find it practical in your particular working environment, then do this stuff at home. Friends and family will love the magic you do with ice. Igloo is just so incredibly amazing. Just as I said earlier, it's worth the price of the PDF.

Buy this when it comes out. Seriously. Many of these ideas are original while some are not. The PDF was overall a lot better than I originally thought it was going to be and I cannot wait to perform the material in this e-book. Chris is a very creative person and this material is pure gold. It's ice... who would had thought?

Chris_ice_ebook-1.jpg

-Doug

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
I totally agree, Freezer Burn is a really really great ebook filled with some uber creative ideas. These effects are definitely recommended for restaurant workers. This is one powerful comcept... the sudden production of genuine ice! A lot of the power lies within spectators' minds... in their minds, the effect is even more impossibility because, of course, how would you carry ice on you?

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Freezer Burn by Chris Lafferty

FREEZER BURN BY CHRIS LAFFERTY

Description: Dee Christopher presents a collection of creative effects and ideas involving real ice, all from the mind of Chris Lafferty.

Review: I was sent a pre-release copy of the ebook, and looked it over right away. The ebook itself is very nice, with an awesome cover page and well-written effects and methods. Five effects are taught in detail. They are all very creative and powerful ideas. This stuff would be excellent for restaurant performers, firstly because the setting is perfect and secondly because ice is always readily available in a restaurant setting. Some effects are also very flexible. Some are best stuied to close-up or walkaround, while others, I think would play well to a whole room of people. Each effect is quite workable and practical, provided you have ice available. I will DEFINITELY be trying at least one effect from this ebook live. Anyways, onto the effects themselves.

Chill: The magician freezes a small bit of water from a borrowed bottle of water in his clenched fist! This is a great, powerful quick effect, and it's dead easy. Actually, I can see this as a good addition to a Snowstorm in China routine on stage. It's quite flexible. 7/10

Igloo: A selected card is folded in quarters, and dropped in a glass of water. As soon as it hits the water, it instantly freezes in a small chunk of ice! This is just plain beautiful magic, again dead easy, and KILLER. Spectators will have no chance here, the climax is totally unexpected and shocking. Excellent stuff. 8/10

Freezer Burn: A small piece of tissue paper is ignited, and upon ignition, it bursts into a large white flame. The flame changes into a cube of ice in an insanely visual manner. WOW. This has potential to freak people out. More visual beauty. 8/10

Freezer Burn V2: Even better than the first method explained. This is even more visually powerful. Fantastic quick effect, my favourite in the ebook and favourite of the two provided methods, as this one occurs atop a single hand. It looks amazing. 9/10

Slammer: Water VISUALLY freezes in a shot glass, with NO COVER. This is probably the most practical of the effects in the ebook in terms of "carrying it around". I can see this playing HUGE for even a small room of people. Another excellent idea, one of my favourites in the ebook. 9/10

Overall, I give Freezer Burn by Chris Lafferty an 8/10. These are some very powerful quickie effects, and the concept of effects using ice creates inherent visual beauty. Of course, these are not effects you will use on a constant basis, but if you ever do find an opportunity to use any of them, definitely do. These quite clearly have the power to freak people out. This is highly recommended for anyone looking for some fresh ideas.

I hope my brief review has been of help.

Michael Kras

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Thanks for the review Mike - When Chris showed me the first incarnation of Igloo I was stunned to be honest, was not expecting that to happen at all!

But it did, method is so slick, so simple and Chris and myself worked tirelessly to get everything up to scratch, adding the subtleties like visually seeing and hearing the ice freeze around the card to make it a truly stunning illusion :)

Can't wait for the release!

D.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hey guys!

Allow me to glow for a second... Okay I'm done...

Well, Doug and Mike- Thanks guys, it's always nice to know that the material is appreciated! My thoughts to my theory and philosophy on these types of effects has been touched upon in other threads, and I will most likely elaborate in future, so I'll leave it plain and simple here- These effects are very close to me. I have a real bond with the material on offer. I know how well it plays and how hard it can hit.
I was approached by four major magic dealers in the last couple of months, while Dee and I were producing this. They all wanted IGLOO. It stayed here.

I hope y'all are readying yourself for doing something truly different!

CL

Nov 23, 2007
NC
What about " hey here take my free pdf but you have to review it"

Whats your point?

Do you not realize that everyone gives out copies to get feedback before they release something. Its common
practice and I'm sure you dont "have to review it."

Mar 3, 2008
Sweden
Whats your point?

Do you not realize that everyone gives out copies to get feedback before they release something. Its common
practice and I'm sure you dont "have to review it."

Yeah, but do we really need so many reviews of the same effect? Cinder for example..

Nov 23, 2007
NC
I think 2 or 3 perspectives is sufficient. Anyone else can post their thoughts in
the thread(s) but that doesnt address the original statement that you blurted out.

Anyway lets warm this thread up while getting it back on track and talk about
doing magic with ice........ Nice.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Nice review, I'm already excited...too poor to get...but will probably buy anyway :)

Dee-So this was the e-book you might have mentioned to me coming out next. I can see why you were both excited and into keeping it a secret.

These effects just sound awesome. I really hope Chris gets videos up so I can see them, though I'll be picking it up either way.

Dee, You and Chris are slowly changing my repertoire, and since I've slowly been moving into mentalism anyway-it's perfect timing for these types of effects.

Chris-Thanks for releasing some of your effects-if you're letting these go I can only imagine what you're holding onto...

-Rik

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I heard about that shudder thing... apparently it's going to completely reshape how we think about TK effects... Hmm.

Thanks for the kind words everybody, I'm stoked that everybody's excited for FB. It's really special.

And Rik... don't you worry... theres a lot more to come...

Keep the comments coming guys!

CL

Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
Freezer Burn - Chris Lafferty

I got this Document Yesterday or the day before, From one of the coolest guys Ever Dee Christopher.

I was exited to see ICE in Magic, its something i been wanting, but was not satisfied with anything on the market so far.

This Document, has quite a few effects, All of them Using REAL ice, no powder, or anything like that. All the Slights Needed are pretty basic, nothing hard in my opinion.

Everything is explained very well, and May I say, the Trick IGLOO found a place in my heart, it is AWESOME. I can not wait to try this. Especially with halloween Coming up, people will be thirsting for magic =] so this will hot that spot, at the Party I'm GOing to =] lol

I give this document a 8/10

It is A fresh breath of air.

I really enjoyed this

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results