Funny Experience Tricking Police

May 21, 2009
Just thought i'd share quite a funny experience that i had last night. I had just arrived at a skate park quite a ways from my house, I had some cards with me so I decided to try out some simple mentalist effects on some of the people my age there. So the jist of the story is, the kids had had a bit to drink (or a lot) so of course the reactions were incredible, and also i didn't get jeered or haggled even once, nice group of kids. Anyways, i was busy performing with everyone grouped around me when who should come by but the police :p. They had obviously seen the kids drinking and came over to bust them, and the two officers told everyone there that it was a $200 fine for drinking underage in a park after a certain time. There was a very tense moment as the police stared at the kids and the kids stared at the ground. And it was then that the officer noticed the cards in my hands, he said "You do magic tricks?" Then then said "If you can trick me, a trained police officer, then i'll let the fine go." I chuckled and went into a simple ambitious card ending with a shake change and the card changing in the officers hand. It was funny to see because as i went on, i could see in his face that his guard was slowly being let down, he went from being a mocho cop with his hands on his belt to leaning in with his jaw dropped. He then said "wow, fair enough, have a good night" and walked away. This was great because now the kids were ever grateful to have a magician in their midst, and became even more interested in the effects. Overall, a great experience that I'll surely remember forever.

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Haha, wow! That's excellent man! Seems like a pretty cool cop :)

Keep up the good work.

Keep sharing these stories as they happen as well, I always love a good read!

All the best,

-Sanj

I once got out of a beating(old friends who were drunk, looooonnggg stoory!).
Anyway i had my cards and they sweared and sayd "aah, Magician(with a mocking voice) do a trick", and i let them choose a card and "lost" it in the deck, and got it to the top. They were so overwealmed they dropped theyr vodka.

That was funny, anyway, i did the same thing like 4 times with different endings, Ego changed, Classic Changed, did a one hand DL and turned it over and it was there card and i did a here and there variation.

It seems that we are friends again :)
Its actually funny how you make them feel completley stupid, mock them and make them feel stupid and they then say Hello to you and talk that your a cool kid.

Mikk

PS: Ive got to try that on my towns cops! Nice story!

May 12, 2009
that is so cool! it's funny when you start performing somewhere with alot of kids, like school, then more and more people start to crowd around you until you are sufficating in a corner.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
So wait...there's a fine for under age drinking only after park hours?

Not before?

Or was that just an idiom slip?

G

EDIT: Either way, nice tale there ;)

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
cops are by far my favorite spectators. The have such a tough fascade and think that they will catch anything, so when you do actually fool them they break down. My two favorite things to do to cops are as follows.

i had done a routine of basic coins and cards at a local fair where the cops were wandering around for securtiy. The group was a mix of a few kids, a few adults and two officers. Now these weren't state troopers or anything but local cops and i figured id try something out. i suggested that one of them take out his handcuffs. he then proceeded to cuff me in front. i had him cover it with a silk from my pocket and as i was explaining the trick i escaped. put a little suspense in and right before i said you ready to watch i pulled one of the old "hang on i think my phone is going off"and proceeded to display my free hands. needless to say he was shocked and not particularly happy so he asked to see it again. This time he didn't take any chances he cuffed me behind the back. Trust me PRACTICE PAYS OFF. i turned around and within about 9 seconds of talking for misdirectoin and him challenging me i was already out and ready for the surprise. needless to say it was a great trick for the crowd and the cops.

my second favorite trick to perform around cops is pickpocketing. there is nothing better than taking something off a cop without them knowing it and then showing them. THIS IS VERY RISKY!!! if you haven't established yourself as a magician ahead of time you can get in deep trouble. i have only done this twice and once was less than successful. however the time i got it people freaked out. i got a wallet, phone, keys, watch and cuffs before finally revealing. I did it one at a time like oh its your watch? can i pay you for it out of this wallet? its your wallet well let me call the police on this phone, oh your phone well you better lock me up with these cuffs, but that might not work since i have the keys.

i love cops

D

Deleted member 2755

Haha, that's awesome.:p In my own town, it's a very nice peaceful town. Nothing bad ever happened here. It's because of that, the cops I think are very bored. ;) Their job is essentially to harass kids and bust kids for smoking and drinking.:cool:

Well.... I've been harassed by cops a few times. Several times, I considered just out of the blue saying "Wanna see a card trick?" I don't like starting trouble though... Someday I'll do it. :)

I enjoyed your story.

-Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
Then then said "If you can trick me, a trained police officer, then i'll let the fine go."

This is an awesome story and a great experience! Bravo and well done!

now, not to rain on your parade but having been around a few years (and a few speeding tickets later) I happen to think that any cop that is going to begin his conversation with everyone present by saying "If you can trick me, then I'll let the fine go." Is not really looking to give you a fine to begin with.

Sounds to me like you got lucky and got the one cop in the precinct that had a sense of humor and didn't want to ruin the fun for everyone, yet still felt obligated by his job to insure the illegal activity be curtailed at the very least for the moment. If he was really in the mood there wouldn't be any small talk. There would just be handcuffs, phone calls, and probably a court date.

Still none the less, Well done sir!

Feb 24, 2009
Just thought i'd share quite a funny experience that i had last night. I had just arrived at a skate park quite a ways from my house, I had some cards with me so I decided to try out some simple mentalist effects on some of the people my age there. So the jist of the story is, the kids had had a bit to drink (or a lot) so of course the reactions were incredible, and also i didn't get jeered or haggled even once, nice group of kids. Anyways, i was busy performing with everyone grouped around me when who should come by but the police :p. They had obviously seen the kids drinking and came over to bust them, and the two officers told everyone there that it was a $200 fine for drinking underage in a park after a certain time. There was a very tense moment as the police stared at the kids and the kids stared at the ground. And it was then that the officer noticed the cards in my hands, he said "You do magic tricks?" Then then said "If you can trick me, a trained police officer, then i'll let the fine go." I chuckled and went into a simple ambitious card ending with a shake change and the card changing in the officers hand. It was funny to see because as i went on, i could see in his face that his guard was slowly being let down, he went from being a mocho cop with his hands on his belt to leaning in with his jaw dropped. He then said "wow, fair enough, have a good night" and walked away. This was great because now the kids were ever grateful to have a magician in their midst, and became even more interested in the effects. Overall, a great experience that I'll surely remember forever.

i dont agree with the underage drinking but great story

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results