Future SNC Topics

Sep 2, 2007
???
Perhaps some kind of naming competition or theme creation? Like a theme for a new deck. Naming of a new trick or deck? I've always enjoyed the manner in which different tricks are named. Prophet was one of my favourite, suitably mellifluous and clever.

Personally my favourite would be a real life treasure hunt. A signed card or special item hidden somewhere in the world with some clues to lead us there...XD

Oct 19, 2007
Next SNC idea

this popped up in my head how about for next weeks SNC we have a playing card design contest:D. Draw 3 ideas then take a pic and post them up, so what do u think?

edit: srry just noticed what happened srry again t11 staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
id like to see a few more "live performances" competitions
but give people a day orso to post it, so they can go out, do tricks for people, film it, and upload.

dont base winners on flashy fancy graphics or music, but how they connected with the audience, how they handled the audience etc
but dont allow people to upload old videos of them, must be from when the contest was announced

this will get people who may not go perform, give them the willingness of going out, and trying stuff to people, and to also show the rest of the members here what successful performances should look like

this is not based on what i would want, because i have no video camera :)
but i think something like this will be more beneficial to the whole site, as opposed to captions every week...

Aug 31, 2007
I'm not a fan of the "Look-A-Like" Contests.

Guessing ones are good once in a while, but not too many cause it's all luck.

Caption Contests are getting repeated too much and are getting dull.

Parody contests are 100% wicked.

Photoshopping contests aren't the greatest, because not too many participate and there are really only a few good ones.

This has been mentioned a lot, but the "Create your own Flourish" or Trick is absurd! Words cannot express how bad of an idea it is. Really, are people expecting that in one day they're going to create an up-to-par flourish? Ugh..

"Create your own Design/Gaff" is kind of a cross between the Photoshop contests and the "Create Your own Flourish/Trick" Contests. People lack abilities/resources and an up-to-par card design is NOT a one-day thing.

Card-Building Contests are okay.

I'm not digging the performance contests, definitely not the live performance contests. It would be unfair because a lot of people are 100x better than others. Also, not everyone would be able to do a live performance. These contests are mainly for fun and there should be a fairly equal chance for people to win. It would be better to make them non-skill-orientated.

Oct 19, 2007
dude im awesome at riddles !! i figured out the worlds hardest riddle on my first try lol i would love to c one of those

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
"not live performance cuz not everyone can do it"

thats true, but not everyone can do a photoshop contest

or a card stacking contest etc

every contest, people are left out, thats how it is

"people are better than others"
this is true for EVERYTHING, so whats the difference?

as for a rhyme..ive lost all faith in poem/rhyme/theme songs after the control one..

"controllllllllllllllllllll
controlllllllllllllllllllllllllll
drum beat
controllllllllllllll"

anyways...

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I enjoy the creativity ones the best; I believe there was a contest where you had to make a Christmas tree out of playing cards, and I think that any more like that would be great to see. The one where you had to name the T11 members from the pictures as children was great too.

TDA

Oct 6, 2007
I've said this millions of times that I think we need to get away from the webcams and out performing for real people.

Maybe for a future competition, you could have us upload an unedited video of a performance for somebody. Some sort of showmanship competition. Granted, it may take a bit longer than just uploading a photo, but I think it would really push the idea of this being an art in which we perform.

And quite frankly, I think performing for a live audience is a damn fine load o' fun.

Just my 2 cents.

Ditto.

I mean, filming ONe performance wouldn't be that hard... And as Longman said, it really would push the PERFORMANCE aspect of this art.

But I do understand how hard it is for the T11 staff to come up with creative and fun contest ideas every single week. What if they were just one a month, but they wer e much bigger contests such as perofrmances video instead of 'captions' every week?

Of course, that would defeat the purpose of aclling it the "Saturday Night Contest"...

How about a QUIZ of some sort?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 24, 2007
I'm not digging the performance contests, definitely not the live performance contests. It would be unfair because a lot of people are 100x better than others. Also, not everyone would be able to do a live performance. These contests are mainly for fun and there should be a fairly equal chance for people to win. It would be better to make them non-skill-orientated.

I'm sorry, but I completely disagree.

I think SNC contests that require no skill are boring as can be. I mean, things with no skill really don't encourage competition, and a competition in a contest is fun.

Also, as far as some people being better at magic if we were to do performance videos, I think I heard it stated before that it wouldn't be about the trick, but about audience connection. I've seen a guy (friend of mine), who I taught a basic two card monte, go out and really connect with the people he was performing for. So, it wouldn't really be unfair, rather I think it would make more people here better.

There are to many webcam magicians on this site, people that don't feel the great feeling of going out and performing. If this website is for progressing magic, we should progress those webcam magicians past their cameras and in front of actual people, because performing in front of them is where the real magic happens.
Tyler

i completely agree with this guy..

I tend to agree with myself a lot as well :p. I do feel bad for the people in the UK though, about what time do they start in your time zone?

The thing is the contests where you submit a caption is fun, and everyone can participate but, there is no real challenge. Something like creating an amazing card display, or taking a nice picture is fun, creative and at the same time adds that element of difficulty.

Now, some people may not have a video camera, understandable but, almost everyone has some sort of camera in their home, webcam, digital, camera phone, etc.

-RA69

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results