Gaff System

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
So if these are only made for the Artifice cards, then what about the people who use mandolin backs or regular bikes? Are they just ignored or something.

Are you implying that anyone who makes a gaff deck should make them for every deck out there?

Jul 22, 2013
California
I don't like the lack of details. My bet is that they are mostly old school gaffs, just with Artifice cards. Ellusionist seems to be promoting the collaboration between the three artists without saying much about the deck itself. A lot of people probably know this deep down, but I'm guessing they'll be a big hit simply because of the Artifice cards.

Feb 10, 2013
I don't like the lack of details. My bet is that they are mostly old school gaffs, just with Artifice cards. Ellusionist seems to be promoting the collaboration between the three artists without saying much about the deck itself. A lot of people probably know this deep down, but I'm guessing they'll be a big hit simply because of the Artifice cards.

Well, the three artists they are promoting are known for the modern, exciting magic that is popular today (most notably Calen Morelli). I think we can expect some very new and unique gaffs in this one. I mean, just look at all the stuff Calen Morelli puts out.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Are you implying that anyone who makes a gaff deck should make them for every deck out there?

I'm saying that not everybody buys artifice cards. While, I understand that their target market are teenagers who constantly buy all the new custom decks and not people who simply buy their decks at Costco or decks that look normal. I am just stating that if they are made only for the specific custom would be a bit of a bad idea to alienate people not interesting in those odd backed decks.

Apr 17, 2013
QUOTE=Randy;413758]I'm saying that not everybody buys artifice cards. While, I understand that their target market are teenagers who constantly buy all the new custom decks and not people who simply buy their decks at Costco or decks that look normal. I am just stating that if they are made only for the specific custom would be a bit of a bad idea to alienate people not interesting in those odd backed decks.[/QUOTE]

This is why I make 99.9% of all of my own stuff. That way I know how well it is made and that it will work with my gear

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
If the new trailer shows more of the actual effects with the gaffs then I may check them out (though this won't happen till a year or so later, Just a personal thing.) and less of the "We are so awesome, let's pat ourselves on the back." type of trailer. (which is what I agree with Craig on. It was way too pretentious. Specially if your are trying to sell a product.).

I understand the hype they were going for. But really have they learned nothing from Paranormal Activity? You don't hype up a product by having the director or writer constantly brag about the creation process. You hype up the product by showing the reactions. Hell, this could have easily been done. (It's what the L&L videos constantly do.). That's just my thoughts on the trailer. For all I know, this new Gaff system could actually be something new and great (though I doubt it. The only Gaff cards that seemed to lasted nearly forever are always going to be simple ones.)

Apr 17, 2013
what makes me wonder about this is Eric Jones was very vocal about leaving E and going to Murphy's Magic. i wonder how long this has been in the can

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
what makes me wonder about this is Eric Jones was very vocal about leaving E and going to Murphy's Magic. i wonder how long this has been in the can

How long ago did he mention leaving E and going to Murphy's Magic? If I am going to assume anything, I'll probably take a guess that they this on the shelf for a few months to a year.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I'm saying that not everybody buys artifice cards. While, I understand that their target market are teenagers who constantly buy all the new custom decks and not people who simply buy their decks at Costco or decks that look normal. I am just stating that if they are made only for the specific custom would be a bit of a bad idea to alienate people not interesting in those odd backed decks.

While I can kind of see where you're coming from, I think you're not really looking at this from a business perspective. We don't sell Mandolin backs at E, so we wouldn't make a gaff deck for that. We can't really make gaffs for Standard Bicycles due to USPCC policy. The Artifice series is Ellusionist's flagship design. Of course it's going to be the deck used for a big gaff project.

To put it another way, and please don't take this as insulting, what you said is kind of like walking into a cupcake shop and saying, "Why don't you make muffins?"

I'm not a gaff user so I probably won't be picking this up, but I do hope they have done something new and interesting with it.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
While I can kind of see where you're coming from, I think you're not really looking at this from a business perspective. We don't sell Mandolin backs at E, so we wouldn't make a gaff deck for that. We can't really make gaffs for Standard Bicycles due to USPCC policy. The Artifice series is Ellusionist's flagship design. Of course it's going to be the deck used for a big gaff project.
And also to increase the selling of Artifice decks by 900%...

Oct 29, 2013
I'm thinking on buying the DVD for Christmas. Just like to ask something: Will they sell artifice gaff decks apart from the DVD?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I'm thinking on buying the DVD for Christmas. Just like to ask something: Will they sell artifice gaff decks apart from the DVD?

Totally read that wrong the first time.

I assume they will sell the decks separately once the System bundle has been selling for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

M Sini

Elite Member
Mar 18, 2011
WV
www.marioorsini.com
How long before the USPCC decides to can the production because it screws with their back design or the basic design of playing cards? This is essentially what caused a lot of card gimmicks to get canned by them.

From my understanding USPCC didn't print these cards. They were concerned with copyright and trademark issues so E went to another printer. Since E owns the rights on Artifice they can have those backs printed.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
From my understanding USPCC didn't print these cards. They were concerned with copyright and trademark issues so E went to another printer. Since E owns the rights on Artifice they can have those backs printed.

Actually, you are correct.

But I have confirmed - the decks will definitely be sold separately.

Sep 1, 2007
To put it another way, and please don't take this as insulting, what you said is kind of like walking into a cupcake shop and saying, "Why don't you make muffins?"

Having worked retail in high school and college, I can tell you that people actually do that. Way more often than you'd think in fact.

I am curious about the underlying current of hostility some people have toward this release. For the sake of disclosure, I have no interest in buying it. I don't use cards anymore. But there's this persistent undercurrent among some of you that E is bad for wanting to make money. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't businesses generally try to turn a profit in order to continue existing? I'll never understand why people can't let go of the meme that wanting to get paid for what you do indicates a lack of integrity.

Dec 29, 2011
Having worked retail in high school and college, I can tell you that people actually do that. Way more often than you'd think in fact.

I am curious about the underlying current of hostility some people have toward this release. For the sake of disclosure, I have no interest in buying it. I don't use cards anymore. But there's this persistent undercurrent among some of you that E is bad for wanting to make money. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't businesses generally try to turn a profit in order to continue existing? I'll never understand why people can't let go of the meme that wanting to get paid for what you do indicates a lack of integrity.

Meh, its pretty overhyped. Sure they can make a huge video about Calen, Daniel Madison and Eric Jones, but it looks like any other gaff deck to me.

Sep 1, 2007
Meh, its pretty overhyped. Sure they can make a huge video about Calen, Daniel Madison and Eric Jones, but it looks like any other gaff deck to me.

Hype is one thing. But there seems to be a sentiment among a lot of people of, "Oh, they're just trying to move more units of the Artisan decks. What a load of crap!" I read this thread and kept tasting something bitter. I'm surprised no one unironically used the phrase "sheeple."

medic91whiskey

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Burbank, CA
Old thread I know but thought I'd add in here. I actually think gaffs are great depending on if you use the right ones within a given deck that suits you. I have a few bicycle gaff decks form ellusionist and there are just some cards in them that I think are ridiculous so I would never use them. However, if you are using a deck that isn't bicycle, from my experience, people will automatically assume it's a trick deck. So to me all these Artisan, ghost, black decks, and all the dan and dave decks are more suited for collecting than serious performing. However, I have performed with ellusionist and DND decks with out any gaffs and I found the performances went over well. If you use gaffs within those produced decks then it's very suspect to the audience.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results