Getting a Better Pass

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
I've practiced the pass so that it's good enough to use as a color change in my Ambitious Card Routine, but it's clear that something fishy is going on. Do you guys have any tips or pointers on how to make your pass better (other than practicing a lot, I already knew that one). For example, are there any subtleties that can be used to better cover the action, any tips on how to position your hands so that the move is smoother? I think of the pass as a beautiful move, and I want to do it justice by learning it well.

Thanks,
Peter.

Apr 17, 2013
The fact that they think something fishy has happened it's not good enough.

Let me give you some advice on how to tell where things are going wrong. Ask different people watch the same effect and have them write down what they though of it. If if more than 40% points out that they think something happened at X then you know that you need to work on that part of your effect. Make sure you are doing this for people who you trust to be honest with you. So if people keep thinking something happened when you do your pass then it's not good enough or you need to time it better. If they are not pointing it out then it could just be your feeling something is fishy there. Magician's guilt kinda thing.

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
The fact that they think something fishy has happened it's not good enough.

Let me give you some advice on how to tell where things are going wrong. Ask different people watch the same effect and have them write down what they though of it. If if more than 40% points out that they think something happened at X then you know that you need to work on that part of your effect. Make sure you are doing this for people who you trust to be honest with you. So if people keep thinking something happened when you do your pass then it's not good enough or you need to time it better. If they are not pointing it out then it could just be your feeling something is fishy there. Magician's guilt kinda thing.

None of them can point out that I am doing something abnormal, and that part gets the best reactions out of the routine. I just feel that the change isn't as clean as it could be. I've seen people on the internet do incredible passes with close to no noise and not even a minuscule peek of the top packet sliding underneath the bottom, and I want to perfect my pass so it looks close to something like that (which won't be easy, I know). Also, I am not the type to be springing or riffling cards around for no reason (although I do have a flourishy style), so a loud riffle after doing a move seems a little out of place in my mind. Thanks for the help!

XabierL

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2010
I know this may not help but... Using the pass as a colour change is really risky! It is usually meant to be performed with misdirection as an invisible move. Have you thought about using a colour change while you practise the pass so that when you go out and perform is as good as you'd like it to be?

Just an opinion, though. A great pass is the Brick Pass by Alex Pandrea, I highly recommend it!

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
I know this may not help but... Using the pass as a colour change is really risky! It is usually meant to be performed with misdirection as an invisible move. Have you thought about using a colour change while you practise the pass so that when you go out and perform is as good as you'd like it to be?

Just an opinion, though. A great pass is the Brick Pass by Alex Pandrea, I highly recommend it!

Yeah, I usually practice with the deck face up so I can see the change. I normally only do it for three or fewer people, and have a backup if there are more.

Apr 26, 2011
get someone to look off-centre at the move. ie, your hands should be at the corner of their vision when you perform the pass. Ask them to tell you when you have done the move (as a control, not a colour change).

I understand what your saying; for me, the pass was fast and fluid but there was a lot of tension when I performed the move. Spectators recognise there is strain in your handling even if they don't know exactly what is going on.

I believe this is how Michael Ammar advises to improve the pass. it should seem effortless.

I learnt my pass from Brian Hart on TheOrbitBrown.com, it helped me with making it as natural as possible.

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
get someone to look off-centre at the move. ie, your hands should be at the corner of their vision when you perform the pass. Ask them to tell you when you have done the move.

I understand what your saying; for me, the pass was fast and fluid but there was a lot of tension when I performed the move. Spectators recognise there is strain in your handling even if they don't know exactly what is going on.

I believe this is how Michael Ammar advises to improve the pass. it should seem effortless.

Do you mean that I should ask if someone else can see it out of the corner of their eyes?

Apr 26, 2011
yes exactly

they wont know what you have done, but they will notice the movement and the tension if there is any.

if this is true and they can tell when you have done the pass, you know that the move needs to be done with less tension. the only way to fix this is to practice until you naturally relax when doing the move.

Apr 17, 2013
Do you mean that I should ask if someone else can see it out of the corner of their eyes?

I wouldn't ask them if they see something out of the corner of their eye. Do the thing I said in my first post. If they think they seem something then you are causing them to think something is happening there.

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
I wouldn't ask them if they see something out of the corner of their eye. Do the thing I said in my first post. If they think they seem something then you are causing them to think something is happening there.

I think what he means is to ask a friend or family member to do this as practice.

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia

Thanks for the clarification. I'll ask my friends if they can help. Oops, replied to the wrong thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 17, 2013
I have found family is really the worst people to ask because they with lie. They are not doing it out of malice but because they are trying to be nice. Also do not do it under practice conditions. Run through the whole routine.

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
I have found family is really the worst people to ask because they with lie. They are not doing it out of malice but because they are trying to be nice. Also do not do it under practice conditions. Run through the whole routine.

Right, because in the real routine you're not going to say "did you see the move?" My family is not the same as yours, apparently, since they will do anything to screw me up (especially my sister, who will shove the card back into the deck wherever she wants and inspects everything that I do)

Apr 17, 2013
Right, because in the real routine you're not going to say "did you see the move?" My family is not the same as yours, apparently, since they will do anything to screw me up (especially my sister, who will shove the card back into the deck wherever she wants and inspects everything that I do)

If they are like that then even more reason not do use them as the test

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
If they are like that then even more reason not do use them as the test

Lol, yeah. They are good practice against pushy people (like this one kid who bent my card IN HALF for me when I was doing the crimp part of my Ambitious Card... I had to quickly facedown cardini change the top card of the double off so he wouldn't see it :) ).

Nov 30, 2013
Hilliard, OH
Practice, Practice, Practice!!! Like previously stated, if you feel like it isn't smooth, thank you haven't practiced it enough. Also, what are you accomplishing by doing this sleight in you ACR? Do you do this with the whole deck face up, or down. If down, what do you do with the now face up card in the middle of the deck? Why I ask that, is because if it doesn't somehow set up your next phase, than you could just switch it out with another color change that could get the same reaction. There are plenty of color changes out there, and plenty just as good if not better, and easier to learn and perform. The pass is made to be used as a control. It allows for the most cover, and invisibility that way, because the card on top looks exactly the same. Even if the spectator sees something, they won't know what because the cards look the same as they were before. It's risky with them face up. I would recommend the Erdnase, which puts you in double position, or shake change (that one gets good reactions) or even snap change. It is easy, and is very visual. Hope this helps!

- Billy

Mar 11, 2014
its like a snap change but its called click change it was on trilogy by Dan and Dave it all takes place in the dealing hand really clean

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results