Getting a forced card.

Apr 6, 2010
Hey guys, just a quick question.

Say you've just done one card trick and your about to move on to another that involves forcing a card on your spectator. Obviously to do this with say the Hindu flashforce, the card you are going to force would have to be on the bottom of the deck.

My question is, how do you get that card to the bottom, in full view of the spectators, without arousing suspicion, and actually having a reason for doing what ever method you are using to put it there.

Cheers,

Steve

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
Well, you could Cull it.

Or, an easier alternative, would be to casually spread through the deck (face up) while talking to the audience. Then locate the card, close the spread keeping a break. Turn the deck over, and cut the card to the bottom casually. Don't pay any special attention to the deck during any of this.

Apr 6, 2010
Hmmm yes thats similar to what i do at the start of 5Speed.

Are there any specific ways that are noted as the standard for finding a force card?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
You can also do a quick trick that gives you a reason to go through the cards. To set up for Dunberry's Delusions I sometimes start off with a mind reading type trick where I go through the deck and locate their card. During that process, I just move the necessary cards to the necessary location.

I don't know if there's any 'standard' way of finding a card. I suppose you could corner short it, or crimp it. I usually do what Scarecrow said. I just find the card and cut the deck very casually. They don't know the trick has started. Or, in that case, ended. If you're talking to your audience and engaging them, they're frequently not going to notice little things you do like that.

Jul 14, 2008
You can do an Injog Shuffle Control. For example, if you want to force the bottom card, control the card selection to the top and just peel off one card and shuffle all the way. You may want to do this as you misdirect the audience.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
What I do is I ask the spectator to shuffle the card until they are satisfied.
Afterward I ribbon spread the card face up (you can alternatively just display them in your hands) and ask "cards are thoroughly shuffled?"
Then the spectator generally would say "yes" since they shuffled it.
Then I start closing the spread using both hands and as my hand comes up (kinda like neck tying the cards) I break at the force card and control that to wherever.

Sep 1, 2007
Start with the card on the bottom. Do your trick first trick then you're in position straight away. If you had to cull the card there to start with, you have your first trick as time misdirection, so everyone's happy.

Apr 22, 2009
What I always do is give some lie like "Are all the cards in this deck? This trick only works if you have all fifty two cards." And I look through, lip syncing "one two three" as I go through the deck, even though I'm just looking for the card. I get the break, and do some shuffle that brings it to the bottom. That always works great, no one questions it.

May 3, 2008
I let them shuffle the cards, then when they hand it back to me, I go through the cards, casually locating theirs while I allow them to make sure that the cards are truly shuffled. When I tell them that I actually cut the cards at their cards while gesturing to them and then place the top packet on the bottom while squaring them up casually.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
My recommendations would either be spreading through the cards on the offbeat from the last trick and simply cutting it to the bottom (you will not get called out on this if you do it casually) or, if you're going to need to do this a lot with the same card, just make a short card. Either would work perfectly fine.

Apr 6, 2010
Great responses guys.

Thanks for confirming my initial thoughts, and all of the other ideas on top.

Im sure i will need to end up using different methods dependant on the trick.

My recommendations would either be spreading through the cards on the offbeat from the last trick and simply cutting it to the bottom (you will not get called out on this if you do it casually)

This is what I do. No one has ever questioned it. Then I just say something along the lines of 'Right here's another one' to get their attention and once they are focusing again I do a quick false shuffle (note: QUICK false shuffle, you do too many and it looks like you are trying to convince them of something).

The logic here is that you do the dirty on the offbeat, then get their attention just in time to see you shuffle, therefore, hopefully when they recall the trick the first thing they will remember is that you shuffled the deck, as that's the point they started paying attention again.

I think i made that sound more complicated than it is but hopefully you get what i mean!

Rev

Apr 6, 2010
Brilliant touch Rev, i think i shall use that on top of what i already do, as its a nice little touch. Cheers!

Sep 3, 2007
I don't know if I like the idea of spreading through the cards face up and cutting. It's simple but the whole premise is fishy.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I don't know if I like the idea of spreading through the cards face up and cutting. It's simple but the whole premise is fishy.
Not if you make use of the offbeat. As far as an audience is concerned, one trick is over and another hasn't started yet, therefore, there's no reason for you to do anything suspect. The brief shuffle Rev recommended merely cements the idea that nothing happened.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results