Getting Started In Restaurant Work

May 3, 2008
I've decided to try my hand at performing in restaurants and I've even got a routine I think would be good set-up. I mainly just have a few questions:

1. Getting The Job: What restaurants should I try getting a job at? How should I see if I can get the job once I decide where would be good?

2. What To Wear: Im not sure whether to dress casual or look a bit more presentable. I'm guessing presentable.

3. Making Money: Would the restaurant pay me or would I make my money off of tips or both? Also, if I make money from tips, how should I let them know that? I don't want to slam a tip jar on their table and I don't want it to seem like all I care about is money but I still would like to let them know that I would like some.

If these could be answered that would really help me out.

Thanks,
Charlie

Oct 11, 2007
Go to some online magic store right now and get David Stone's Real Secrets of Magic! You will not regret buying this book and it will answer all of those questions and more! Don't worry about spending the money to get the book because you will get payed double the amount of that book your first night!

Before you take another step go and get it and read it through

Hope that helps,

emagician

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Go to some online magic store right now and get David Stone's Real Secrets of Magic! You will not regret buying this book and it will answer all of those questions and more! Don't worry about spending the money to get the book because you will get payed double the amount of that book your first night!

Before you take another step go and get it and read it through

Hope that helps,

emagician

This same advice was given to me (books on its way) by one of the co-founders of Vanishing Inc Magic, Andi Gladwin, after I asked him what he thought was a good treatise on restaurant work. The book is only 30 dollars (cheap for a magic book really) and anyone who's read it has said it's absolutely amazing.

Just seconding the advice that was given to me, I'll be reading it as soon as I get it and can let you know how it is.

I've decided to try my hand at performing in restaurants and I've even got a routine I think would be good set-up. I mainly just have a few questions:

1. Getting The Job: What restaurants should I try getting a job at? How should I see if I can get the job once I decide where would be good?

2. What To Wear: Im not sure whether to dress casual or look a bit more presentable. I'm guessing presentable.

3. Making Money: Would the restaurant pay me or would I make my money off of tips or both? Also, if I make money from tips, how should I let them know that? I don't want to slam a tip jar on their table and I don't want it to seem like all I care about is money but I still would like to let them know that I would like some.

Thanks,
Charlie

Look up William Dravens posts about this, I'm sure someone can link them.

1. Some famous restaurants that are known for hiring entertainment are Red Robin, mexican restaurants, larger fancier restaurants. Just ask around if any restaurants are known for hiring clowns or something similar to that.

2. Presentable is an affirmative, however you should match with your image as much as possible. Ask if there is anything that they would prefer in the way of your outfit.

3. How old are you, it does matter. The best thing to do is to give a free trial to see how they react, not a full show but maybe 30 minutes to 45 minutes just showcasing your skills and ask them to maybe recommend you to the manager if they have a good time and plan on coming back.

If you do get paid then it is polite to ask if it is okay to accept or ask for tips. If they say no then do not take any tips, if you try to be sneaky and get caught you will look very unprofessional.

Do not say anything about tips, instead do a money effect at the end suggesting this. If they ask if you take tips then say w/e the answer is from above. Do not ask for tips as it will make you look tacky and you present yourself the wrong way.

Get some David Stone stuff that deals with this, he is amazing in performing, skill, and instructing in this field. There is way to much material to recommend, just stick with Stone's stuff for now.

Now to talk about things you didn't go over. You need to have a presentation and one or two effects you plan to show, and how and why you should be there. Again this is explained in W. Dravens post about getting clients and gigs.

Best of Luck

Mar 2, 2008

Thanks,
Charlie

1. It is easier to get a job at a "Ma n' Pa" reastraunts because in chain restraunts you have to go threw more steps of talking to the corperation's HQ and it is much harder to get intouch with them.

2. Dress like your going somewhere nicer after.

3. I would not ask/accept tips unless the restruant gives you permission.

Oh yea and make sure you have a soild line up of tested tricks you have been working on for years.

This is my personal experience, TGI Friday is always looking for a magic performer. I know it for a fact cause I work for one right now. Look for a near by TGI Friday and talk to the manager. Ask the manager if you can come in during Friday night and Saturday night and Sunday night to perform magic. The time is between 6 to 8:30. Paid rate is between 15 to 20 an hour. About the paid rate, if the manager can't afford to paid you 15 dollar an hour, then go for 10; the rest of your paid will made up by tips. Thereford, you should fire up and do a kickass job so ppl will tip you.

tip on tips:
1) Perform to people with the age about 30-50 (you are ensure to get tip, if you perform for teenagers then don't expect anything cuz they are broke just like u)
2) Perform at party tables, you will get some good in your pocket.
3) Hit up the bar (but beware of hecklers), besides that drunk ppl tip you well.

Beware of:
1)Senior Citizen (sometime u will runing into some cocky old ppl and they will give you a bad time)
2) Avoid performing at the table that finish eating and get ready to leave.
3) aproach them and don't ask if you can show them a trick, just show them a trick.
4) Clear any spillable item away from you to avoid spectator spilling their own drinks (trust me, I run into so many cases that my spectator spilling their own drink during my perfomance.)
5) Becareful of fire magic beacuse the last thing you wanna do is burn your spectator.

David Stone's Real Secrets of Magic Is a perfect set of DVD for you to study for Restaurant work. Pick them up and it will paid you back in no time.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
This is my personal experience, TGI Friday is always looking for a magic performer. I know it for a fact cause I work for one right now. Look for a near by TGI Friday and talk to the manager. Ask the manager if you can come in during Friday night and Saturday night and Sunday night to perform magic. The time is between 6 to 8:30. Paid rate is between 15 to 20 an hour. About the paid rate, if the manager can't afford to paid you 15 dollar an hour, then go for 10; the rest of your paid will made up by tips. Thereford, you should fire up and do a kickass job so ppl will tip you.

tip on tips:
1) Perform to people with the age about 30-50 (you are ensure to get tip, if you perform for teenagers then don't expect anything cuz they are broke just like u)
2) Perform at party tables, you will get some good in your pocket.
3) Hit up the bar (but beware of hecklers), besides that drunk ppl tip you well.

Beware of:
1)Senior Citizen (sometime u will runing into some cocky old ppl and they will give you a bad time)
2) Avoid performing at the table that finish eating and get ready to leave.
3) aproach them and don't ask if you can show them a trick, just show them a trick.
4) Clear any spillable item away from you to avoid spectator spilling their own drinks (trust me, I run into so many cases that my spectator spilling their own drink during my perfomance.)
5) Becareful of fire magic beacuse the last thing you wanna do is burn your spectator.

David Stone's Real Secrets of Magic Is a perfect set of DVD for you to study for Restaurant work. Pick them up and it will paid you back in no time.

Out of curiosty. Do they hired 15 year olds or you need to be like 18 to work their?

May 3, 2008
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm definitely going to look into this.

Also, just to clear some things up, I'm 14 but turning 15 pretty soon. I was thinking about trying some of the more chain restaurants like Red Robin, TGI Friday's, stuff like that. I was thinking about arranging a time where I could meet with the manager, demonstrate some of the magic I might perform table hopping, inform him on when I could work and how much I'd like to be paid (I'm hoping he'll talk me a bit seriously. Not just "Okay I'll tell you what I'll give you 25 cents little guy,") and then giving him my card.

As for a routine, I was thinking about approaching people, introducing myself, asking if they are busy and if they would like to see a trick. I would perform something quick, good, and visual, in this case an effect from Strip by Jose Lac'Quest. I'd then ask them if they'd like to see more. If so, I'd demonstrate my invisible palm routine mixed in with the Biddle trick. If I could tell they're amazed, I'd perform WOW by Masuda. Then to close, I'd have them select a card, sign it, and it would appear in my wallet with my business card attached to the back of their card.

Let me know what you think.

Out of curiosty. Do they hired 15 year olds or you need to be like 18 to work their?

Age doesn't matter in my opinion, as long as you looks professional on the first time you talk to the manager of the restaurant. Show him/her that you are serious about what you do (dress shirt, and pants will do). The first look is very important, cuz ppl judge.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Age doesn't matter in my opinion, as long as you looks professional on the first time you talk to the manager of the restaurant. Show him/her that you are serious about what you do (dress shirt, and pants will do). The first look is very important, cuz ppl judge.

Alright then, I guess I'm looking for a job, buuuuuut more time to pratice will not do any harm. Also I'm picking The Real Secert of Magic before I start.

As for a routine, I was thinking about approaching people, introducing myself, asking if they are busy and if they would like to see a trick. I would perform something quick, good, and visual, in this case an effect from Strip by Jose Lac'Quest. I'd then ask them if they'd like to see more. If so, I'd demonstrate my invisible palm routine mixed in with the Biddle trick. If I could tell they're amazed, I'd perform WOW by Masuda. Then to close, I'd have them select a card, sign it, and it would appear in my wallet with my business card attached to the back of their card.

Let me know what you think.

do not ask them if they are busy or if you can show them a trick. NEVER GIVE THEM A CHANCE TO SAY NO. Just show up and say, "Sorry for the interruption, my name is ......and I'm a house magician today, and can you plz pick a card, etc."

"The best time to show up and do magic is when they are just finished ordering their food."

Alright then, I guess I'm looking for a job, buuuuuut more time to pratice will not do any harm. Also I'm picking The Real Secert of Magic before I start.

but I would recommend that you wait till ur 16, cuz that is the legal age to work, and use the mean time to learn more tricks and get plenty of practice.

May 3, 2008
I have another question. Does anyone have any advice as to what tables to pick or a certain order to go in with you magic. I imagine it would be a bad idea to show the same trick to two parties right next to each other.

May 3, 2008
but I would recommend that you wait till ur 16, cuz that is the legal age to work, and use the mean time to learn more tricks and get plenty of practice.

I'm not sure if that law applies where I live because I've had plenty of friends my age work before. Also, I definitely feel like I've been ready for quite some time now. I want to get out there as soon as I can.

May 3, 2008
do not ask them if they are busy or if you can show them a trick. NEVER GIVE THEM A CHANCE TO SAY NO. Just show up and say, "Sorry for the interruption, my name is ......and I'm a house magician today, and can you plz pick a card, etc."

"The best time to show up and do magic is when they are just finished ordering their food."

I'm not quite sure about that. I know if I were the spectator I would always want the chance to say no. I remember once when me and my family were having a nice dinner out when a terrible magician barged in and basically forced us to see his bad magic when all we wanted was to be left alone.

I have another question. Does anyone have any advice as to what tables to pick or a certain order to go in with you magic. I imagine it would be a bad idea to show the same trick to two parties right next to each other.

its doesn't matter, cuz most of the time other ppl will see and hear the reaction but not the trick. But it's nice to be flexible; twist your routine abit if you think it's a bad idea the perform the same routine twice.

Keep in mind that, the max trick you can do to a table is no more than 4 trick; and the running time is no more than 10 min unless they ask for more.

I'm not quite sure about that. I know if I were the spectator I would always want the chance to say no. I remember once when me and my family were having a nice dinner out when a terrible magician barged in and basically forced us to see his bad magic when all we wanted was to be left alone.

on trust me, if they don't wanna see it at all, they will say no when you told them to pick a card, but do not force them. I didn't say you must forced your spectator to see your magic. If they don't wanna see it, then it's their lost. U still get paid, that's wut counts.

Look up William Dravens posts about this, I'm sure someone can link them.

Thanks for the referance! While I don't have the link handy the work he is talking about is "How to Get Gigs and Keep Clients." It's a 7 or 8 part essay and I'm sure if you click on my name, look into threads that I created you'll find them.

Also You've Got Talent! is another nice read, if you are looking to develop character. -Or so I've been told.

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW

Thats unbelievably rude. Imagine this scenario you having a nice quiet dinner with your wife and lets say someone passed away or they are having an argument. Would you like someone to push in and go "Hey forget whatever you are talking about and take a card"?

Its very rude. Even if its just hey would you mind picking a card and they say no after that. It's still quite rude. They should have the chance to make a decision before you rip out the gear and perform.

If they say no you would politely say thats no problem if you change your mind please ask a member of staff to ask for me and walk away.

William does have some really nice points on this i recommend finding his threads:p

Tom

Thats unbelievably rude. Imagine this scenario you having a nice quiet dinner with your wife and lets say someone passed away or they are having an argument. Would you like someone to push in and go "Hey forget whatever you are talking about and take a card"?

Its very rude. Even if its just hey would you mind picking a card and they say no after that. It's still quite rude. They should have the chance to make a decision before you rip out the gear and perform.

If they say no you would politely say thats no problem if you change your mind please ask a member of staff to ask for me and walk away.

William does have some really nice points on this i recommend finding his threads:p

Tom

I disagree to a point. I think there is certainly a time and place for everything, but if you are hired to entertain, you really already have the green light to approach people.

We are programed as a society to knee jerk the "no" answer to anything we view as an intrusion without even considering if it is something that would be good for us.
Example: "Hi! Welcome to Walmart. Can I help you?"
Mark: "No."
End of story. You're done. Let's see the open ended question at work.

"Hi! Welcome to Walmart. What brings you to the store today?"
Mark: "Well... I need to get some oil for my car, and while I'm at it I hear you have a sale on video games."
See? The mark can't just answer "No." It forces them to give you an answer, and more importantly information that you can use to better assist them!

That's why in sales, the first rule you are taught is to ask open ended questions. Questions that the mark can't answer with just "no."

I agree, don't offer them the option. You are hired to entertain, and entertain you must! If you want to keep your job that is. Take for example my opening line:
"Hi I'm Draven, I've been sent to your table curtasy of the management to entertain you. Here, select a card."

No where in that did I ask them If I COULD entertain. I just assumed they wanted to see it. In sales that's an assumptive close. And you know what... 95.9% of the people I approach will say "OK!" and engage me.

You most certainly will find the occassional person who just isn't into you. It happens. You'll learn to read the body language, and catch the signs. If you're smart, you'll appologize, and back off. But I really think you are outlining the exception and not the rule.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results