Good Editing

Dec 9, 2008
Hello,
I would just like to ask your opinions in a couple of things;
Firstly, what do you think makes good editing?
Why, what makes you think this?
And finally, what's the best editing you have seen?
Thanks very much, I'm just interested to see the opinions of the people.
Tom Field

Sep 1, 2007
To answer the first question, one of the essential things to remember is that cuts should be made on movement, preferably with someone or something beginning to by entering the frame and ending with that person/thing leaving the frame. Also, most editing programs come with really funky graphic effects and filters that rank somewhere between useless and completely useless. Don't use them.

To answer the second, I'm a filmmaker. It's my job to know this.

The best editing I've ever seen was not done by magicians, I'll tell you that right now. Watch any Stanley Kubrick film to see good editing.

Dec 14, 2007
USA
I think that there are total differences in editing.

There's the kind of editing that makes a video look all cool and insane looking (with black and white filters, aged film effects, etc.). Pretty much this is just eye candy.

And then there's the kind of editing that simply lets a magic video, or any video for that matter, flow. This, as Steerpike touched on, could be as simple as having a nice entrance into the video, and a nice exit for the video. These are usually the essentials to making a nice video. Nobody really enjoys it when a video stops right in the middle of a frame, now do they?

On a more personal note, I find good editing to be just the essentials - nice transitions, nice entrances and exits, etc. However, I always love to see all of that sick editing with crazy flashing frames and fast cuts (video-wise) - as long as it does not bring down the entire purpose of the video. What I mean is that I wouldn't much like to see a video that is so crazy I completely forget or can't see what the effect is that is being performed.

I'm always seeing great editing (a lot of it can be here on Theory11 itself), so there's too much out there to point out one thing in particular. Maybe it can turn out to be yours down the line... who knows?? Good luck!

Dec 9, 2008
So Steerpike,
As I can tell, you are opposed to the frippery of filters,
But do you dislike all filters, and any use, or is it just superfluously extensive use, but you still like filters when done minimally and sensibly, e.g. "Pleasantville" etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
The only filters I use in my editing with any regularity are color correction. Chroma-keying can be fine in moderation, but most filters like negative imaging, ripples, or other warping effects are entirely useless to anyone who doesn't make pop videos in a time bubble where it's still the 1980's.

Color saturation is actually a filter I use quite often to alter the mood and atmosphere of a visual. It's most useful if you can look at the picture and not realize it's been tampered with.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Well of course I love the great Hollywood editing with 3 second cuts between shots and the suspenseful default score to keep you 'on your seat',

Im sorry that didnt help at all...

Dec 9, 2008
Steerpike,
Yes, in film making that for me also is the way to go. In my mind, unless in certain situations (possibly a black and white is neccesary) then it should only be done so that it is un-noticeable, so it makes the required feel to the video, without flooding it.
Even though for certain video types, e.g. flourishing compilations, there are places for the excessive filtration, as I can't help but say, that when done well, it does look nice.

Jan 15, 2008
The great and mighty Dan Buck had some great advice that he shared with Kevin Ho that also showered down onto me as well awhile ago, i'll make it brief though.

plan your shots

light well

always use white balance

experiment with positions, backgrounds, and angles

listen to a lot of music

if you are genuinely interested in film then shoot me a PM and I will share with you the details.

Sep 1, 2007
Montage is possibly one of the most important parts of film. I don't mean the inspirational Rocky-style push-it-to-the-limit kind of montage. I refer to the Soviet school of montage, that is the marriage of two shot together. Every cut that is made should have purpose. There should always be a reason behind the merging of two shots together.

Check out Eisenstein and Vertov. They're your best resources for editing.

Stay away from filters and those crappy powerpoint-style transition effects. They're really bawdy and tacky and lack any sort of professionalism (though I'm not adverse to just a little bit of color correction...).

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
Montage is possibly one of the most important parts of film. I don't mean the inspirational Rocky-style push-it-to-the-limit kind of montage. I refer to the Soviet school of montage, that is the marriage of two shot together. Every cut that is made should have purpose. There should always be a reason behind the merging of two shots together.

Check out Eisenstein and Vertov. They're your best resources for editing.

Stay away from filters and those crappy powerpoint-style transition effects. They're really bawdy and tacky and lack any sort of professionalism (though I'm not adverse to just a little bit of color correction...).

I was gonna mention the good ole montage. Battleship Potemkin is a great example of how to create a seamless piece of film.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
Hello,
I would just like to ask your opinions in a couple of things;
Firstly, what do you think makes good editing?
Why, what makes you think this?
And finally, what's the best editing you have seen?
Thanks very much, I'm just interested to see the opinions of the people.
Tom Field

When you don't notice it. See Master of Illusion show for a good example of what NOT to do.

Actually the best editing I have NEVER seen cuz' I didna notice it.

It all depends what you're filming, selling, etc. Editing can change the mood/pace/feel of anything. Want a good example? Watch some of These kinds of re-edited trailers.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results