Good magic effects which does not involve cards or coins?

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
flow from paper crane productions gets retardedly strong reactions.
I've been trying to build a couple of routines without cards
One kinda goes like
SAW (or a signed coin swallow a friend came up with)
Flow (linked with the saw by the fact that i need some water after i do SAW)

Dec 10, 2007
There are NONE! lol just kidding, saw is pretty awesome, but what venue are you looking to perform in? If your doing childrens shows then just about every good trick doesnt involve cards or coins. If they are more adult then your options are a little slimmer but there are still a LOT of things. Just search around on penguin and pay attention to reviews. they are usually pretty fair.

D'lites are also, in my opinion, under used under rated. They WILL fool adults just as much as children. So if you dont already own them look into it. And of course anything with a thumb tip usually doesnt involve cards or coins. I dont knwo if you wanna use silks or what, but you can use it for bill switches and many other things. Darwin Ortiz has a great book on thumb tip magic if i remember correctly.

Hope that helps,
Victor Cruz

Aug 5, 2008
I suppose this would be rather apparent, as it would be to most others, but Stigmata with name cards creates an emotional bond that is much better than the cards version.

Since this is rather apparent, I would recommend classic effects like torn and restored newspapers. Andrew Mayne's Tear Down seems to be the best variation on the market so far. If you're not familiar with the effect already, it uses no duplicates, no set up, and no gimmicks.

Mentalism is always a hit with spectators. You can try looking at Oz Pearlman's Into the Abyzz, Luke Jermay's Emotional Intelligence, Luke Jermay's Synchronicity, Daniel Garcia's Hair - which is featured on Ellusionist's Guerilla Guide to Loops.

There are a great many products on the market that do not require the use of cards or coins. If you're looking for effects to be performed on the streets, there are, as stated previously, Saw and Flow, which can also be performed in other close-up settings. You can also check out Healed and Sealed Soda.

The list I have provided above is exhaustive, and does not come close to a fraction of the number of effects on the market that is card- and coin-less. Easy Money effects like Extreme Burn, Prophet and Hundy 500 are also further examples of such. There's Jason Palter's iKnow and Third Degree Burn, Tim Trono's Branded.

I do hope this does help you find what you're looking for.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
There are so many good non-card/coin effects out there, but without more detail of what you like, we can't really help you too much.

Asking for 'good' effects isn't enough detail... Can you help us help you?

CL

D

Deleted member 2755

I don't own it yet, but it's currently at the top of my list.... Never heard anything bad about these books.

Art of Astonishments by Paul Harris

-Doug

Jan 27, 2008
Get the Devil's Picturebook by Derren Brown and learn the invisible deal, you don't need a deck just cut your prediction into your arm and go into stigmata.

May 10, 2008
I would seriously reccomend Control. It was my first magic effect and I still find it to be my favorite. Best of all, its completely impromptu and its one of those efects that really shake someone to their core.

And best of all, Randall from Stigmata is in it.

Aug 7, 2008
I don't know of any products, but I read about a magician that applied cigarette tricks to small pencils. Try sleeving random objects for some organic magic. Don't fogot using invisible string to float random stuff. Try Gregory Wilson's On the Spot for more stuff. He has some cool stuff, one trick even uses keys! I hear Sankey also has a dvd featuring impromptu magic that is also quite good. Check out Kras' review of the Sankey products to find it. Mess around with random objects to come up with cool effects. Try thinking of cool effects with random objects. This vid features some magic with sharpies! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFUbFJ1yv-Y Also, FIBER OPTICS! You cannot deny that crazy rope magic! Just think magically about random objects you might discover some cool stuff. Have fun.

EDIT: I almost forgot, Razor blades from mouth! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5KwY9VieVA&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 16, 2008
as katie said missing link and get dan harlans rubberband magic its like the bible of rubber band magic , book tests, mentalism, stigmata, time is money, cornered by joshua jay, any money magic,

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Mixing stuff up with a bit of mentalism here and there is good fun even if you don't dabble so much in that stuff. Again, as Chris said before, it's a very wide spectrum of possibilities, most mindreading stuff isn't so great to do in a loud night club, where as in a parlor or table environment it's great.

I've got to throw in the metal bending here though, I've heard there's a great DVD from some UK guy coming out soon ;) haha!

D.

I would agree with disjointed (only performed it once at a party, reactions were great) flow, and stigmatal.

Also if you want to dabble with some mentalism there are a great variety of effects that can be performed. prediction effects with thought of words or numbers and book tests always get very strong reactions when I perform them.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Yeah, metal bending is a very good choice no matter what your interest.
And, there IS a DVD coming out, with some guy from the UK... What was his name... D... D... Dave Christian? Daniel Chistmas? Hmm, I'm sure the name will come to me soon... Dee, you might know...

haha.

Please mate, help us help you.
If you're just after any old suggestion, I would recommend...

-Off the Cuff, Greg Wilson
-On the spot, Greg Wilson
-Anytime, Anywhere, Jay Sankey
-A really good spongeball routine

If you want some really off beat idea's, my booklet (out soon!) features the most organic T&R effect you've preobably ever seen, and a very cool effect (I'll say no more than that!).

By the way, I put a free effect on www.magicplazza.com forum last week which is non card/non coin, check it out.

CL

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results