GRADUATION CARD TRICK

May 23, 2017
Hey guys, I'm in need of some help for this idea I have for my school graduation. My principal does not believe that it would be possible to do a card trick in such a large venue as a church (more than 200 people possibly) and won't accept my idea. I just wanted to know if you guys think that I can perform some card forces like the Cull Spread (that's as difficult as the forces get for my routine) with cards that are maybe 10.25 inches by 14.5 inches. I'm thinking that jumbo sized cards will hopefully allow everyone to see the cards. Tell me what you guys think, I really want to do this for my graduation.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Hey guys, I'm in need of some help for this idea I have for my school graduation. My principal does not believe that it would be possible to do a card trick in such a large venue as a church (more than 200 people possibly) and won't accept my idea. I just wanted to know if you guys think that I can perform some card forces like the Cull Spread (that's as difficult as the forces get for my routine) with cards that are maybe 10.25 inches by 14.5 inches. I'm thinking that jumbo sized cards will hopefully allow everyone to see the cards. Tell me what you guys think, I really want to do this for my graduation.

Definitely possible if you practice. Get cards with a smooth finish if possible. However, I would really suggest using a simpler force. Classic force should be super easy with giant cards, since you just have to know where it is. Start with the card on top, cut the deck, and put the card in there hand. Another thing you could do is have all the audience members right down a number from 1 - 52 and put it into a "force box" (Like Mark Shortland's Amaze Box if you have it), and use the force box to force a number, have the card that many cards down in the deck.

Reactions: jesster309
Jun 13, 2013
If you have a hard time manipulating a larger deck, I'd highly recommend doing a riffle force. If you have a hard time wrapping your hand around a jumbo deck, the classic force maybe too difficult to execute.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
If you have a hard time manipulating a larger deck, I'd highly recommend doing a riffle force. If you have a hard time wrapping your hand around a jumbo deck, the classic force maybe too difficult to execute.
Well these cards aren't a jumbo deck they are a bit over a foot tall. Riffle force would never work on cards that big.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
A cull force would be VERY difficult to do with large cards in my view.

I would opt for a cut deeper force, or the 102nd force for jumbo cards.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jun 13, 2013
Well these cards aren't a jumbo deck they are a bit over a foot tall. Riffle force would never work on cards that big.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the deck. The RF would have to be modified for two hands but it is totally doable, I promise (i.e. riffle with one hand while the other holds the break).

Jun 13, 2013
Ok, if you say so.

If I came off as a jerk, I'm really sorry. It wasn't my intention. I've seen the RF taught on jumbo decks, that's why I suggested it. I just can't for the life of me remember who taught it and what dvd it was on.

Personally, I don't like the large decks as they're extremely awkward and very limiting. Most facilities anymore have cameras and projectors anymore, and really decrease the need for such decks.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
If I came off as a jerk, I'm really sorry. It wasn't my intention. I've seen the RF taught on jumbo decks, that's why I suggested it. I just can't for the life of me remember who taught it and what dvd it was on.

Personally, I don't like the large decks as they're extremely awkward and very limiting. Most facilities anymore have cameras and projectors anymore, and really decrease the need for such decks.
lol You didn't come off as a jerk at all :D I was literally just trying to find the best way to accept your answer. My bad :)

I am interested in this now. If you ever find out, let me know!

Jun 13, 2013
lol You didn't come off as a jerk at all :D I was literally just trying to find the best way to accept your answer. My bad :)

I am interested in this now. If you ever find out, let me know!

Ok, good!

I know it's anti-magician to share the "how-to's" but I have no other idea how to do this. So, here it goes breaking the rules.

From what I remember, (if you're right handed) you riffle the deck with the left thumb while supporting the deck, gripping with the fingers palm up. With the right hand, you grip the deck palm down with the pinky obscured maintaining the break. When the spectator says "stop", you slide your right and up along the side, with the break maintained, up around the front. At the same time you're lowering the front of the deck. You then lift with the right hand at the break to show the "chosen card". Since the deck is so large, the running of the right hand up along the side actually looks justified and nobody thinks twice.

I also (kinda) came up with the idea that if you want to keep your right hand free from touching the deck as long as possible, just bottom-jog the chosen card slightly while taking your hand away after the cut. Even though you break with the opposite hand with small decks, this "bookmarking" also works with small decks, just in case you want to set the deck down for a second or something. :)

Jun 13, 2013
Also Jester, I just wanted to add this just in case. I'm not sure what kind of trick you are planning; however, if you're looking to use Jumbo Cards, David Eldridge teaches a version of "8 Card Brainwave" using Jumbo Cards in his DVD, "Fundamentalism". Didn't know if this would interest you, but just thought that I'd let you know, as this would be a simple enough trick and short enough for a graduation performance.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1798

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results