Greatest Card Trick Ever LIVE

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
Hi everyone!
This is my perofmance of what I believe is the best packet trick/card magic ever created. The routine makes logical sense and the presentation is very engaging which will keep the audience interested from beginning to end. As you can see from the audience's reaction, this routine is my reputation maker. I PROMISE that this video WILL put a huge smile on your face. Enjoy!
Credit goes to John Bannon for his brilliant creation, "Royal Scam".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTwmspDzWcM

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
So, when you post this, what's the goal? Are you just sharing your videos or are you looking for critique?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Like he said, to "put a huge smile on your face. Enjoy!"

He did well.

That's a matter of opinion. Before I put effort into building any constructive criticism, I would prefer to know that it's actually desired. Otherwise I'd rather not waste my time or his. But considering it's been some time with no response, I suppose I have my answer.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
He's same guy who talks nonstop about the voodoo trick he does and how he keeps saying it's the best thing he's ever seen and done. (When in fact most people just look at it like some neat toy.)

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
That's a matter of opinion. Before I put effort into building any constructive criticism, I would prefer to know that it's actually desired. Otherwise I'd rather not waste my time or his. But considering it's been some time with no response, I suppose I have my answer.

Hi Christopher, the reason why I posted the video on here is for a couple of reasons:
1. Not many people post LIVE performances on youtube, and even if they do, most of their effects are modern effects that are very popular online and in the magic community. I wanted to be unique and post LIVE performances of routines that are not very well known but elicits a strong reaction when performed to an audience and is memorable. I would love to see more people post live performances of magic effects that are hidden in books or lecture notes because they are pure gold. Think of this like my gift to you for posting these videos.
2. Of course, it should be a given that I love this forum because of the great advice and suggestion that I've received so far in my magic career. If you have any feedback on my videos, I would love to hear them, especially constructive criticism.
3. I have a passion for magic and I wanted to share my energy, love, and passion to as many people as possible. If I'm able to inspired a new student in magic or get a person started, that would be a dream come true for me.
Looking forward to hearing from you Christopher!

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Hi Christopher, the reason why I posted the video on here is for a couple of reasons:
1. Not many people post LIVE performances on youtube, and even if they do, most of their effects are modern effects that are very popular online and in the magic community. I wanted to be unique and post LIVE performances of routines that are not very well known but elicits a strong reaction when performed to an audience and is memorable. I would love to see more people post live performances of magic effects that are hidden in books or lecture notes because they are pure gold. Think of this like my gift to you for posting these videos.
2. Of course, it should be a given that I love this forum because of the great advice and suggestion that I've received so far in my magic career. If you have any feedback on my videos, I would love to hear them, especially constructive criticism.
3. I have a passion for magic and I wanted to share my energy, love, and passion to as many people as possible. If I'm able to inspired a new student in magic or get a person started, that would be a dream come true for me.
Looking forward to hearing from you Christopher!
"The Royal Scam" by John Bannon IS a mainstream effect that is sold at every magic dealer as a stand alone effect. Plus you used almost the same patter that he uses, so you didn't bring anything new to the table. I still support you for performing and filming live magic, I'm just saying how things are.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Well, most people don't post their really good stuff on YouTube because all the uncreative masses will just steal the material word for word without any of the presentation that went into it. They don't want to give away something they put serious work into just so someone with an internet connection and nothing to do one night can attempt to do it as well. I have things that will never be filmed, let alone posted online. I care too much about them to watch them be butchered by someone who isn't willing to put the effort into performance.

I'll be honest, you come across as pretty arrogant. This is the "Greatest Card Trick Ever"? Sorry, no. This is, essentially "Look at what I can do!" over and over and over. You need to develop real, meaningful presentations if you're going to make these claims. While I admire your spirit and your desire to get out there and just perform and brighten people's day, I think you could probably be better served if you hold off on the camera for a while and just focus on creating real magic instead of just doing tricks.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Well, most people don't post their really good stuff on YouTube because all the uncreative masses will just steal the material word for word without any of the presentation that went into it. They don't want to give away something they put serious work into just so someone with an internet connection and nothing to do one night can attempt to do it as well. I have things that will never be filmed, let alone posted online. I care too much about them to watch them be butchered by someone who isn't willing to put the effort into performance.

I'll be honest, you come across as pretty arrogant. This is the "Greatest Card Trick Ever"? Sorry, no. This is, essentially "Look at what I can do!" over and over and over. You need to develop real, meaningful presentations if you're going to make these claims. While I admire your spirit and your desire to get out there and just perform and brighten people's day, I think you could probably be better served if you hold off on the camera for a while and just focus on creating real magic instead of just doing tricks.

As I mentioned before, he's also the exact same guy who constantly boasted about the Voodoo doll trick being the best thing he's ever done and how everybody he's shown it to, thinks it's the greatest effect ever.

The main problem with magic performances on youtube is that they tend to cause people to hold back on the actual reactions.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I know who he is, I was trying to avoid that bit and not just trash on him.

The video camera does change how people act, though. Just look at the lady in the beginning, "So I'm gonna be on the video!?"

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
Chris, I agree with you regarding your statement about posting magic onlines because other people might copy your presentation or even the entire effect. That is why even though I have a lot of videos on youtube, I also have quite a handful of routines that are my own that I will never put on youtube.
Chris, the title is just my own opinion. Nowhere in the post did I say that I am a master of this effect. This is a free country where free speech is allow, and I'm sure that posting my opinion is okay. All I wanted to do is to share my joy with other people, in this case seeing the reactions from my audiences. I know that whenever I watched a magic performance performed LIVE and see the smiles of children or other groups of people, all my stress are gone. Maybe you don't feel this way but I do, and that is why I want to pass along this feeling to my friends in the magic community and lay audiences. Thank you for taking your time to reply.
Best Regards,
Pete Pridanonda

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
As I mentioned before, he's also the exact same guy who constantly boasted about the Voodoo doll trick being the best thing he's ever done and how everybody he's shown it to, thinks it's the greatest effect ever.

The main problem with magic performances on youtube is that they tend to cause people to hold back on the actual reactions.
Randy,
This is just my opinion once again, you have no idea how many times people hired me just so they can see this effect again. In my book, that would mean a reputation maker. Kids and adults REMEMBER this effect for a very long time. Even my friends from high school asked to see this effect even after a year that I've shown it to them.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Actually, I don't like watching magicians perform in general. For two very simple reasons. The first being that everyone does the same tricks with the same patter. The second being that most of them are painfully awkward performers and it makes me want to cringe in sympathetic embarrassment.

I would love to see more people out there giving real, meaningful, creative performances of magic for live audiences. But I'm tired of seeing video after video of someone thinking they're the next best thing since sliced bread pretending to show some random people the secrets of the universe in their card trick. And I'm this about everyone. Amateurs, professionals, whatever. I see so many performances that are just duplicates of another performance, or different in ways that don't actually change anything.

Aug 17, 2010
Chris, the title is just my own opinion. Nowhere in the post did I say that I am a master of this effect. This is a free country where free speech is allow, and I'm sure that posting my opinion is okay.

...and others have the freedom to comment. Free speech does not come with a shield against comments, as others have the same right as well.

The problem here is, "The Greatest Card Trick Ever" is making a claim that this is the greatest ever.

Maybe next time (constructive criticism), a thread title that makes no factual claim (My Favourite Card Trick Ever LIVE, perhaps?) will spare you from a bit of this. To say something is the greatest, even in you own opinion, is to invite comparison and evaluation. To say something is your favourite is to express one's opinion and nothing else; it makes no claim to anything aside from your own subjective evaluation.

Also, maybe consider softening the self-promotion a bit? I wouldn't think that it's your intent, but it comes across as somewhat arrogant. "As you can see from the audience's reaction, this routine is my reputation maker" sounds a little less than humble...

I mean nothing by this other than an attempt to smooth the waters for next time.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Guys:

Let's give Pete some credit. Stop reading his literal words and try to understand what he is saying.

First, he did say it was his opinion that it was the greatest trick. He liked the reactions and thought that this would be something that would be, for him, a reputation maker. OK, he is mimicking the ad copy we are all inundated with on a daily basis in e-mails from our favorite magic shops, but he means that it is something that is going into his repertoire because he likes it.

Second, he is performing for a live audience something he learned legitimately. That is better then the Youtube boobs that perform something they learned on Youtube while you watch their hands handle a deck at crotch level. Hopefully, he will pick up some more Bannon effects or maybe some of his books.

Third, he performed it well. There is room for improvement, but the mechanics were there.

OK, so he performed it using Bannon's patter. Have you ever tried to develop patter for Bannon's effects? It's hard. What happens is so unexpected, that it is difficult to focus on anything other than saying what you are doing.

Further, Pete is trying to find himself as a magician. You can tell from his posts here. Also, he is at an age where he is trying (consciously or unconsciously) to find himself as a person. In either of those processes, the first stages are imitation. We do things other people do whether it be in magic or in life. After a while, we are more selective who we imitate and then eventually we develop our "self" -- as a person or a magician. The "self" we develop into is a unique blend of various influences. Just look at Dani DaOrtiz and Woody Aragon -- both very different but also both strongly influenced by Tamariz.

Pete:

I'm glad your excited about Bannon's Royal Scam. Pick up Bannon's Impossibilia as an e-book from L&L. Check out reviews of Dear Mr. Fantasy and Smoke and Mirrors - if you are interested I may know some shops that still have copies. If books aren't your thing (they should be at this point) check out Bannon's DVDs.

And one more thing. Keep expanding your horizons and learning more magic - not from DVDs, but from books. Get the Tarbell set. If you want to become a good magician, study Tarbell. Think about getting a subscription to Genii (with access to 75 years of back issues). I think a lot of the pushback you are getting is from folks who know a lot more magic than you do. When you reach a certain point, no effect is a reputation maker and no effect is the greatest. You realize that what matters is what you do to make that effect yours.

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
Actually, I don't like watching magicians perform in general. For two very simple reasons. The first being that everyone does the same tricks with the same patter. The second being that most of them are painfully awkward performers and it makes me want to cringe in sympathetic embarrassment.

I would love to see more people out there giving real, meaningful, creative performances of magic for live audiences. But I'm tired of seeing video after video of someone thinking they're the next best thing since sliced bread pretending to show some random people the secrets of the universe in their card trick. And I'm this about everyone. Amateurs, professionals, whatever. I see so many performances that are just duplicates of another performance, or different in ways that don't actually change anything.

Hi Christopher,
I understand as well as respect your opinion and point of view in regards to this subject. I don't want to start an argument here because my intent is not to belittle or offend anyone, but I would like to clarify some points.
My goal is to become a better performer, not to show off my skills or trying to gain subscribers online. That is why I post my videos on this forum. I put a lot of effort into my performances to make sure that the experience is fun for both me and the audience but if you have any advice I would be more than happy to hear what you have to say. Please take a look at a few more of my videos, especially that of my performances at the Magic Castle in Hollywood. I know I still have a lot to learn and I always appreciate all the advice from seasoned pros like yourself.
Best Regards,
Pete Pridanonda

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
...and others have the freedom to comment. Free speech does not come with a shield against comments, as others have the same right as well.

The problem here is, "The Greatest Card Trick Ever" is making a claim that this is the greatest ever.

Maybe next time (constructive criticism), a thread title that makes no factual claim (My Favourite Card Trick Ever LIVE, perhaps?) will spare you from a bit of this. To say something is the greatest, even in you own opinion, is to invite comparison and evaluation. To say something is your favourite is to express one's opinion and nothing else; it makes no claim to anything aside from your own subjective evaluation.

Also, maybe consider softening the self-promotion a bit? I wouldn't think that it's your intent, but it comes across as somewhat arrogant. "As you can see from the audience's reaction, this routine is my reputation maker" sounds a little less than humble...

I mean nothing by this other than an attempt to smooth the waters for next time.

Thank you very much for your suggestion. You've made some great points here regarding the title. I will keep that in mind.
I am not trying to be arrogant at all, I'm sorry if my description comes across that way but I promise you I am open for any constructive criticism regarding my performance. I am only letting people know that this routine is my reputation maker and again, this comes from hundreds of performances of this effect. I hope you understand my intentions.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Look, I'll be blunt here. I'm probably not going to watch your other videos. It's not really anything to do with you, I'm just not a 'magic video watching' kind of guy. If I start a video and if fails to catch my interest I usually shut it off within ten seconds. Most magicians don't make it past that mark and often times the only ones I do watch all the way through are because of some other reason than the video actually being interesting to me.

I have seen a few of your videos, though. The consistent theme I've noticed is "The Adventure of the Props". The video in this thread, for instance, just talks about the cards flipping over. The Voodoo doll presentation you use is basically the same thing, "The doll goes up, the doll goes down, the doll goes back up! The doll goes back down!"

I like that you get out there and you perform. I like that you're really excited about magic. But to push yourself into the realm of actual 'magic' you need to create presentations that actually mean something.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results