Having spectator pick a card from a face up deck

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
So I was learning Revolution #9 by Aaron Fisher from The Paper Engine. For those of you who don't know effect, you spread the deck face up for the spectator to choose their card. My question is, do you think that having them choose a face up card loses some of the magic compared to them choosing it from a face down spread?

On a side note, I'm sure some of you probably have made the effect your own and have the spectator choose from a face down deck. I'm just seeing everyone's opinion and deciding if I want to go about tweaking this effect in my own way. Thanks!

Mar 22, 2013
Munich / Germany
I would recommend, that you try it out yourself.
Try both versions and look at the reactions you get. Or even ask a friend or so, what he would like better (He should not be a magician ;) )

And try to adept it to other effects, you perform. If you have many tricks, where the spectator selects the card from a face down deck, then taking it from a face up deck would be varied...

- Konrad

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Always ask: What is the effect?

I could be misremembering, since I haven't read that particular trick in some time, but isn't Revolution #9 more of an inversion effect rather than a location effect?

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
@KonTW - Good idea. That would definitely helped figure it out.

@ChristopherT - Yes, it is an inversion effect. You put your their card face down sticking out from the deck and then magically it flips to face up. As soon as that happens, the deck flips face down.

But you have them choose a card from a face up deck. Wouldn't it be more magically to have them pick from a face down deck?

since it's not locating their card i really don't think it matters. usually i'd make it a joke. by saying something like "pick a card, any card but make sure i don't see what it is!" or pretend to to do mentalism and name their card. then go into the effect.

Just make it clear that it's not a find-a-card trick.

that said, if you like it better having them select a facedown card go for it.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
That's a good point. All though I worry when you aren't finding your card because the effect ends up being a "Look at What I Can Do!" type thing, which I try to avoid.

Jeremy Hanrahan

Craftsman, <a href="http://www.theory11.com/gear/h
Sep 1, 2007
Simcoe Ontario Canada
I like face up selections as it gives the spectator a look at the entire deck. With youtube videos out there many spectators think you are using duplicate cards. This way validates that you are not.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
I don't perform all that much, but I rarely get people thinking I have a trick deck or dupe. Maybe the spectators are thinking that but aren't saying it. I guess it's sometimes best to switch it up and do some face up spreads and some face down spreads? thoughts?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results