Heinstein Shuffle by Karl Hein - Full Review

Sep 1, 2007
The Heinstein Shuffle is an absolutely amazing in-the-hands false riffle shuffle created by Karl Hein. It's my favorite false shuffle but for some reason I haven't seen many people use it. If you're looking for a good false shuffle, this is it!

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o_8yU6xOE0

"The natural appearance of this shuffle is breathtaking!' - Richard Kaufman, Genii Magazine.

'Karl's shuffle is one of the best in-the-hands false I've ever seen. It's natural, casual and completely disarming - really, the perfect complement to use with a memorized or stacked deck.' - Simon Aronson

'In Karl's hands, this is the most deceptive in-hands false riffle I have witnessed in the 30 years I've been involved in card magic.' - Paul Cummins

The Effect
A riffle shuffle with a bridge is recognized the world over as a most convincing way to shuffle cards. Karl Hein's Heinstein Shuffle mimics this perfectly - complete with riffle, weave, and bridge.

Best of all, the Heinstein Shuffle is for workers. It can be done in-the-hands, up-close, and from every angle. People will swear the cards have been fairly mixed (you don't need a table to perform it!) It's perfect for memorized deck work, maintaining a stack, story routines, or whatever.

Plus, you'll learn Karl's pet routine - the Heinstein Triumph. It's a convincing in the hands Triumph with a kicker. You not only find their card and right the deck, you magically restore the cards to new deck order!

DVD: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1791

DOWNLOAD: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1790

I was looking for a really good false shuffle a while ago. I wanted something convincing that I could do in any situation (no table, surrounded, etc.). Most importantly, it needed to look NATURAL. Whenever I shuffle cards I almost always use an in-the-hands riffle shuffle with a bridge/waterfall/cascade. It's possibly the most convincing way to shuffle cards because it's so recognizable (in sight and sound) and so many people do it. I had a hard time finding a good way to do that shuffle as a false shuffle. For a while I used a stripout shuffle but I couldn't do it reliably. Then I found the Heinstein shuffle. I watched the few videos I could find of it over and over but I couldn't figure it out for the longest time. When I finally realized how it worked, I just knew I had to learn it. So I bought the download, and I'm so glad I did.

EFFECT:

Wow. When done right this shuffle almost perfectly mimics the look and sound of an in-the-hands riffle shuffle (with the bridge). It can be done as a 2 move or 1 move shuffle. It's probably the most convincing shuffle of it's kind that I have ever seen. I think the video speaks for itself.

DIFFICULTY:

Before buying this I heard alot of people talk about how hard it is and how much practice it takes. It made me a little worried. When I first learned it I was a little bit surprised at how easy it was to "do". It was a chellenge, but easier than expected. I was able to "do it" only a few hours after watching the video. I was expecting something harder because of what people were saying about it. Then I started practicing and I realized something: it takes alot of practice to do this well. I've been practicing on and off for a few months and I've almost got it down (I'm a bit of a perfectionist). It's difficult to do in one smooth motion without pausing in the middle. It shouldn't be too difficult for an intermediate to learn the shuffle, but it will take a hell of a lot of practice to learn to do it well. Expect a few weeks or months of practice to get it to performance level.

ANGLES:

The angles are really good. If you do it right it's surroundable when standing up. The only problem it if people can see from underneath. It's risky to do it while seated at a table or if you're standing while your audiance is seated low (like on the floor). It might not be good to do it on stage either, but I haven't tried. Overall the angles are great for walkaround or while seated (unless at a table).

TEACHING:

The teaching was pretty good. I was able to learn it the first time through. Everything is shown from multiple angles so it's very easy to follow. He goes slow and talks alot about the details. The problem is that the information is not organized well. Everything you need is spread throughout the DVD, but not always where it should be. My main complaint is that he spent alot of time teaching a version that uses a pass to get in to position (that's how he normally does it). I don't think this is the best way to do the shuffle. He even says that the only reason he does it like this is because when developing the shuffle he got used to doing part of it the way a righty would do it and the other part the way a lefty would. He only breifly mentions getting in to position with a slip cut which is obviously the better way to do it (in my opinion). Overall the teaching is definitly good enough to learn from and you should have no problem with it.

QUALITY:

This is obviously a low budget video, but I have no problem with that. The quality of the material is good so you should have no reason to complain about the average video quality, boring background, or the unimaginative editing.

THE HEINSTEIN TRIUMPH:

The Heinstein Triumph is a pretty good triumph routine. What makes it special is that it's done totally in-the-hands and the cards are restored to new deck order. The triumph that I do now is largely based on this one (except without the cards being in order, making it impromptu). It's a good trick, but nothing really new.

VALUE:

It's about $30 for the DVD and $25 for the download at Penguin. This shuffle is so useful that it's worth it, even though it's just one move and a trick. This move can be used with any stacked or memorized deck, as well as many many other tricks. It's a multitasker and you will use it all the time. This is my go to false shuffle. It's one of the best purchases I've ever made in magic.

OVERALL:

If you want to learn a good false shuffle, BUY IT NOW!!! False shuffles are extremely useful, and you can do this one anytime, anywhere. It's the best false shuffle I've ever seen.

Don't pass this one up!

Sep 1, 2007
I've been practicing this bad boy lately but is it better than the Truffle Shuffle (on demand at dananddave.com)?

I'm not sure. I never even saw the Truffle Shuffle until today right after writing this review. The Truffle Shuffle looks good, but I don't have it so I don't know. I might get it just to see what it's like, but I like the Heinstein because of my Triumph routine (based on the Heinstein Triumph). Someone said Triumphs don't look good with the Truffle Shuffle (I'm not sure what he meant, maybe you can see the cards not being mixed). I also think a good Heinstein shuffle looks more natural than the Truffle Shuffle in the preview.

If anyone can compare the 2 shuffles I would be really interested to find out the pros and cons of each. Is the Truffle Shuffle a one shuffle sequence or do you need to do 2?

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Heinstein Shuffle (I use this regularly)

Pros:
-Great looking
-Deceptive to even the most trained eye
- Great angles
- Conceals more compared to truffle shuffle.

Cons:
-Requires a move to be done beforehand, if you were to use the one shuffle sequence.
-Takes a while to learn
-Relatively expensive
-Delay between riffling and bridge, but this can be overcome via a smooth motion.

Truffle Shuffle

Pros:
- No/ little delay between riffling and bridge
- Relatively simple in terms of mechanics
-Deceptive looking to laymen
- Seems more natural in the hands compared to heinstein
-Cheaper

Cons:
-Takes a while to get smooth and deceptive, otherwise the move can be spotted easily.
- Has less cover compared to heinstein shuffle
- Angles are worse compared to heinstein.

I learn't heinstein before the truffle shuffle, so normally I would prefer heinstein over truffle, however if you do not have a in the hand false riffle shuffle in your repertoire, I would recommend truffle over heinstein, due to simplicity and cost purposes. For those looking for more cover and such heintein is the way to go.

-DL

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
From the previews, the Heinstein seems a lot fairer. The Truffle just doesn't look natural to me. I don't own either, but that's my first impressions.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results