Hello theory11! New to the Forums!

Jun 13, 2012
Saint Paul, MN
So, I thought the best place to start would be to introduce myself and see who jumps in. My name is Chad. I am 33 years old this year. I have three kids and I have ALWAYS loved magic. I mean, don't most of us, or why else would we be here to begin with? I just started seriously practicing my skills. However, as a veteran martial artist with 20 years of study I know patience is the key. I did grab a couple of Theory 11 DVD's to add to my routine until I get more comfortable to start making my own. Maybe some of those famed magicians will show up here and give a shout out? I have much respect for you guys.

Honestly, health issues caused me to have to stop the martial arts. Left with a void I decided to turn to magic since it has always interested me. I mean, come on, who does not remember watching the old Magic Awards specials? I grew up with those guys. Then came along you street magicians. You know, Daniel Garcia, David Blaine, Wayne Houchin, et cetera and so on. Man, was that a change of direction. So, I want to say up front I respect all of the people who make the art known. I never want to take a trick and say it is mine. I am working on a trick that is a variation of Daniel Garcia's Torn Too. I love that one even though I do not have the trick. I just saw him perform it and I thought of a variation that I could make work. I am a thinker, what can I say?

Other than that, I am a writer. I am finishing my B.A. presently and am working on some scripts for movies. I have a couple of books in the works. Maybe I will get those published. If I ever do I will be sure to shout all over the forums that my movie got picked up for production. I also have a couple of short films I will be working on soon. When those are completed I will post those to youtube probably.

So, aside from rambling, I hope to get to know the members of the forums better and to get advice where possible from those who have been at the grind longer than I. I do honestly loathe when people reveal things, so do not expect me to reveal something or to trade. There is nothing worse than when you perform a trick like Cannibal and someone starts telling everyone how it is done because some 10 year old revealed it on youtube. Sad. Where did the respect for the skill go? I remember speaking to a magician wen I was a teen and he had paid $1K to learn a trick. I believe it was levitation or the ghost ball. Either way, these secrets are guarded for a reason. We are supposed to help suspend belief and to perform "miracles" for the unenlightened. How can we do that when people pirate the software and reveal the illusions?

Sorry for the rant. Hope to meet a lot of you guys. Hope to learn much from all of you. Remember, be humble. Only a humble person can truly learn. It is he who thinks they know it all who cannot learn. Forgive the 20 years of martial arts training being jammed in there in 10 seconds. So, yeah. It is long, but I was hoping to grab some attention.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Hey Doctor...nice to have you here. Sounds like you and I have a lot in common. I am 34 years old, married with 2 kids, have taught elementary school for 12 years and performed magic for 12 years (3 semi-professionally). Welcome to Theory 11. Check out our forum rules, learn to use the search function prior to asking a question that may have been asked and answered 10 times thus far....ha ha, and definitely check out the Wire's effects.

We have a plethora of knowledgeable people here so don't be afraid to pick their brains and most of all have fun man.

-- Rick

May 15, 2010
Welcome Chad! I don't think you'll be able to find much more of a helpful community than Theory 11 has established here (I know I have a low post count, but I'm kind of a lurker that pitches in where I can :) ). If you're willing to be as dedicated to magic as you were with martial arts, you might want to check out some of Jason England's material as it is very sleight intense, but very well taught! Good luck on your magical journey!

Jun 13, 2012
Saint Paul, MN
Thanks for the warm welcomes. I can tell this will be a good community. I am working on my first trick. I contacted Kevin Reylek as his Cannibal performance got my wheels spinning and inspired me. I think I have a great variation of my own on that concept that is unique. Since I do not KNOW how he performs his trick this variation is strictly based on a visual conceptualization and re-imagination for what I envision. So, I hope he answers back. I really want to get my first trick working quickly. I have another one that came to mind because of the Cannibal Cards I will be working on after I iron out the kinks for my first trick. I am also working on a new variation of the blink card that I hope will take it to another level as well. I know I am new to sleight of hand and card artistry but my gears started turning from day one. The sky is the limit, huh? Since this will be my first trick I want to make sure I follow all the etiquette properly. When it is ready I will reveal it. Maybe I can release it. I just want to work on making the ending cleaner and a way for the gimmick to be reusable with an instant reset. The rest and reuse is the last aspect of this one before I decide to reveal it.

Jun 13, 2012
Saint Paul, MN
Thanks for the tip on The Wire. I just signed up. I am really stoked for the trick. Almost there. I am just a bit nervous as it is my first. I hope everyone felt the same. By the way, Justin, I watched your tuts and I was rolling laughing. I sat there and asked myself what idiot would follow these instructions you were giving. However, I LOVE the concept of a false flooding of tutorials. Nothing keeps them angrier than a reveal that does not reveal. Here's to my first trick, which I am calling Money Changer for now. I am thinking I will debut it this weekend. Unfortunately I am having issues with making this a repeat setup unless you prep ahead of time. Maybe feedback would help. So, we will see then.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results