How did it all go down

Apr 22, 2009
I have a question, and I am researching this myself, but what made cards like the... most commonly thought of thing in magic.. Or.. the first thing someone thinks of when they think magic. Yes people I know of money magic and all the different types of magic there are, but you can't deny it, cards are associated in thought to magic like Milk is to cereal. Cereal? Milk! Magic? Cards! I was just wondering how this happened, and if any of you guys might know.

Mark?efferent

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I have a question, and I am researching this myself, but what made cards like the... most commonly thought of thing in magic.. Or.. the first thing someone thinks of when they think magic. Yes people I know of money magic and all the different types of magic there are, but you can't deny it, cards are associated in thought to magic like Milk is to cereal. Cereal? Milk! Magic? Cards! I was just wondering how this happened, and if any of you guys might know.

Mark?efferent

Hey Mark. Casey here. I think it became big because almost everyone is associated with cards in some way, whether playing poker with friends, or having a nice family game night playing a couple rounds of Go Fish or Crazy Eights. It's a common thing that has a good setting. When you are playing a card game, you see everyone having a good time. Why not show them a card trick instead of producing some random money (unless you are gambling). It's also a common thing to bring a deck of cards on a long trip to somewhere, you're gonna get bored and need something to occupy your time. I don't know the exact reason, but I think this is a common reason why. Hope this helps.

Your friend,
Casey

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX

Mark?efferent

The answer is simple. Id rather you watch bbc the history of close up magic though.From real magic historians and proffesional magicians.
Instead of people on forums.
Just google "bbc history of close up magic".Dont go to youtube. Its not there anymore. The history of cards is like the 2nd or 3rd video.

Apr 8, 2009
Back then cards were a commonly used item for playing games like poker and such plus it's ALOT cheaper to buy a deck of cards then to buy many of the avaible magic props back in the day

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
when they were first created they werent a very reliable prop for the conjurer at the time.
Anyone wanna take a stab at why?

Because everyone else was used to things like cups and balls, and cards weren't common, they were new to the world. So everyone thought they were up to no good when they introduced cards to their act.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Because everyone else was used to things like cups and balls, and cards weren't common, they were new to the world. So everyone thought they were up to no good when they introduced cards to their act.

nope. That took a long time to actually happen.
When they were first made they were hand-made. and not very practical for magicians at the time. UNTIL they were mass marketed.
THEN after a while cards were associated with gambling and were almost banned.Almost.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
But visualartist, that's unrelevant to this post. I think you are trying to make yourself look like you know everything, and you enjoy proving others wrong. In my opinion, it's very annoying. Just leave it by answering the question. It's my OPINION on how you present yourself. Just something to be aware of.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
But visualartist, that's unrelevant to this post. I think you are trying to make yourself look like you know everything, and you enjoy proving others wrong. In my opinion, it's very annoying. Just leave it by answering the question. It's my OPINION on how you present yourself. Just something to be aware of.

He's asking how it all went down. How cards came into magic. Therefor he is asking for facts not opinion. I asked a general question. You were close but no cigar. I answered it. Simple

Besides,my question was on why cards werent reliable. Having nothing to do with cups and balls being the norm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results