How do you start doing magic for people in public?

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
I would seek out someone who does what you want to do and learn from them.

If you are talking street magic like buskers I would look into lectures or books from; Kozmo, Doug Conn, Gazzo, Chris Randall, Capehart, Sheridan…not a complete list but it’s a start if your into that type of street magic.

If you are looking at doing “guerrilla” style street magic where you perform a trick or two and are done like David Blaine. You kinda just do that.….prepare a few tricks and go forth into the breach. There are YouTube guys that do this on occasion with varying degrees of success.

That type of interaction can possibly be awkward for your audience (and you) until you figure out a good way to figure out who to approach and how to approach people in various situations. It‘s good to get practice in an audience whose already receptive.

You can look for a local magic group like an IBM ring. If there is a local chapter they likely do some performing for the elderly at least once a month. If you are not near an IBM ring you might be near an assisted living place and could offer some volunteer time there.

Some magicians say start at a restaurant, some say that’s where you go when your magic is polished.

Where ever you decide to start make a set list! One or two tricks that go well together. Maaaybe 3 tricks. Don’t “wing it”.….Script it! even ”impromptu” tricks have been rehearsed thousands of times!

Jun 16, 2022
I would seek out someone who does what you want to do and learn from them.

If you are talking street magic like buskers I would look into lectures or books from; Kozmo, Doug Conn, Gazzo, Chris Randall, Capehart, Sheridan…not a complete list but it’s a start if your into that type of street magic.

If you are looking at doing “guerrilla” style street magic where you perform a trick or two and are done like David Blaine. You kinda just do that.….prepare a few tricks and go forth into the breach. There are YouTube guys that do this on occasion with varying degrees of success.

That type of interaction can possibly be awkward for your audience (and you) until you figure out a good way to figure out who to approach and how to approach people in various situations. It‘s good to get practice in an audience whose already receptive.

You can look for a local magic group like an IBM ring. If there is a local chapter they likely do some performing for the elderly at least once a month. If you are not near an IBM ring you might be near an assisted living place and could offer some volunteer time there.

Some magicians say start at a restaurant, some say that’s where you go when your magic is polished.

Where ever you decide to start make a set list! One or two tricks that go well together. Maaaybe 3 tricks. Don’t “wing it”.….Script it! even ”impromptu” tricks have been rehearsed thousands of times!
Thank you :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results