How Long Should A Street Routine Be? (Duration)

How long should a random street routine be? I like to wander around my park, or the beach and do tricks for people. (For my own amusement).

My usual routine would start with:
1) Forcing the spectator a card, and then pretend to read his mind. I would reveal only the suit and whether or not it was a high or low card. Then I would do a barcode reveal on my Tally-Ho Box of cards. (I made it myself) :D
2)Then I would do the basic biddle trick.
3) Then I would do a basic two card transposition trick "This Then There".
4) Afterwards I'll finish with Chris Kenner's "Five Speed", which includes an ACR, as well as a monte game.

This totals to usually around 5 - 6 minutes. I timed myself in front of a mirror, with no banter at all. It is a little bit more longer when I perform live with people, but that is depending on how much banter I make up.

So now, I am here to ask YOU guys, is this too long for a street routine? Or is it too short??

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance :)

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
1-2 minutes. Drop a bomb i.e, your strongest trick and get out. Leave them with a business card if you can.

Don't give too much for free but enough to make them want to book you or follow your videos/website/facebook.

Jul 16, 2011
It depends on the crowd size. If you have a david blaine style 20person crowd, then 7-10min. But just for like 5people 1-2min. I agree with formula "drop a bomb" then get out. Infact, I find its extremely effective if you "pull a Dynamo" and just walk away as they're stunned holding a souvenier. Drop a bomb and leave

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
I find its extremely effective if you "pull a Dynamo" and just walk away as they're stunned holding a souvenier. Drop a bomb and leave

Yeah, that kind of only looks good on TV. They'll be like "WTF? Where'd he go? I wanted to get his business card or something. Oh well, I woud've hired him..."

Well, maybe not like that EXACTLY, but it's not a good thing

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Aaron, I think Delusional implied that they would have business cards or some kind of contact details before walking away.

Magicians walk away on film so that the cameraman can say "tell the camera what he just did". It's a different kind of way of capturing a reaction.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
If it is just me doing random magic somewhere, UNPAID....I do the following:

I introduce myself, perform my set of 3 effects (lasting about 7 minutes) and then hand them my business card and tell them to check me out on my web page.

I always have something extra on me that is nice if a bigger crowd has developed.

If it is a paid gig and I'm doing table hopping / strolling magic, then I have 3 sets of 3 effects on me and alternate the sets at different tables. All effects are instant reset effects and I keep a couple of "climax" big crowd pleasers on me just in case before I make my exit.

Jul 16, 2011
Well I myself dont do magic as a job, I dont do it for money, I do it for the art. I'm the kind of magician that never once states during performance that I do magic, or that I'm a magician. Therefore I have no buisiness card to leave them with. Infact, when I do the walk away thing, I hear people comment later on that (seriously) "He did just the right thing, He blew us away, and then was gone...amazing" So this may be effective for people like me. Formula is correct, of course you would leave them with your buisiness card, or else the whole process would be counter-productive. But this is a little bit off topic... This thread is about the duration of a street performance... I've already stated my thoughts on that issue :)
-Jon

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
There is no set length so my response would be as long as it needs to be. Personally I would say 5-10 minutes.

On a side note spectators are not stupid and your first routine does not help you as a mystery performer. The problem is that the logical method is the exact method you are demonstrating. Obviously to the spectators the barcode is gaffed, you introduced it, so if you know its there why would you be having difficulty determining the card.

If I were to do the barcode reveal I would use an super fair force which leaves the card face down on the table so nobody at that point knows the card. I would divert the attention back to the card box. Address the barcode then reveal the card to match. This way if they think you forced their card than it is fine because you actually did and it is the power you tried to demonstrate.

If I were to do the barcode reveal I would use an super fair force which leaves the card face down on the table so nobody at that point knows the card. I would divert the attention back to the card box. Address the barcode then reveal the card to match. This way if they think you forced their card than it is fine because you actually did and it is the power you tried to demonstrate.

Hm... Okay so don't let them look at the card before, cool idea will definitely be trying that.

I performed the barcode reveal today, with the spectator able to know his card before i revealed the barcode, and the reactions were still great.

1-2 minutes. Drop a bomb i.e, your strongest trick and get out. Leave them with a business card if you can.

Don't give too much for free but enough to make them want to book you or follow your videos/website/facebook.

I don't do magic as a profession. Its just for fun, so thus I wouldn't have a magic page or business cards. I only do basic card tricks, I think the best trick that i do which gives me the best reactions are either the Two Card Transposition Here then There, and the other being Five Speed taught by Chris Kenner.

Thank you so much guys!

Alright so from your comments and replies, I have decided to shorten my card tricks. The length of my street routines will now depend on the size of the crowd. (Thank you to Delusional).

I will start my routine with a basic rubber band trick, Missing Link by Chris Kenner. (Suggested by Jacob L.)

Then I'll do a mind reading bit with a forced card, I'll alternate that with a barcode reveal.

Then I'll have a finisher that will either be a Two Card Transposition Here Then There, Lee Asher's Witness, or Chris Kenner's 5 Speed.

If I have a larger group, I'll include some of the following tricks: The Biddle Trick, Marcus Eddie's Stairway, The Arm Bending Trick (I learned from a James Galea performance on YouTube), or a 4 card force.

Thank you so much guys, I guess now I can start on making my own sets. :D

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
There is no set length so my response would be as long as it needs to be. Personally I would say 5-10 minutes.
5-10 minutes counts as a free show to me. That's fine for a hobbyist but too much for someone who is looking to get work.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
You might not be able to display "true" skill in less than 5 minutes, plenty of people can though. When you're performing to people on the street I doubt anyone will ever be thinking "lets keep asking for tricks to see if he can maintain an audience".

Jul 16, 2011
JUST REMEMBER THE CLOSER! One of the most important parts of your performance is the closer, so dont just do a series of "ok" tricks then leave, make sure you leave them with a memory, and thats the role of your closer.If you dont do magic for money, then I suggest you take my advice, because I'm the same way. Thanx

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results