How many decks in 1 year?

Aug 14, 2010
Hello! I just want to ask how many decks of cards do you need in a year especially if you perform a signed card 3x a day? Is 30 decks enough? Thanks!

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
Well, you could do that for 17 days with 1 deck.

52/3=17 and 1/3
And then 365/17 is roughly 21.5. So, you should just buy 2 bricks and you should be good. That is assuming you perform EVERY single day.

Actually SG Your math is accurate but not practical. To do a signed card you would need to produce the illusion of a full deck- purely for mechanical purposes. The visual illusion helps too I guess.

That means that you'll need to keep at least a quarter of the deck to make it work.

1/4 of 52 is 13, So .... 52-13= 39. so you could in theory perform the signed card trick 39 times with a single deck...

365 days / 39 cards before you need to get a new deck = 9.5 decks for the year. Assuming you are performing every day and multiple times a day.

Either way, getting two bricks of cards (each brick consisting of 12 decks) should be more than enough to last you a year.

Feb 7, 2010
Sweden, Uppsala
Why the heck do you take out the card when it's signed? Just keep on using the decks with signed cards in them, if they pick a signed card just let them sign it on another place on the card...

Dec 11, 2010
California
Not all the time you are going to keep the card. Most of the time I give the card away as a souvenir. I would rather have them keep the card and remember about "that cool guy with the card tricks" and tell others and show them the card.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Not all the time you are going to keep the card. Most of the time I give the card away as a souvenir. I would rather have them keep the card and remember about "that cool guy with the card tricks" and tell others and show them the card.

I have to ask: How often does that happen, really? I don't work with signed cards personally so I wouldn't know, but I have the sneaking suspicion signed cards are much less valuable as memorabilia than magicians often believe...

Dec 11, 2010
California
I guess there really isnt a way of knowing whether or not they actually do keep it as a souvenir unless I meet up with them some time in the future. But I myself normally keep random things with me such as small paper saying that I finished adult school (to make up for credits I didnt get in High School =( ) movie ticket to a movie that I likeed, concert ticket, etc.

It really doesn't hurt to give out a signed card. After all if you keep it the signed card all your really going to do with it is keep it in a box with other signed cards or throw it away

IMO I would rather give out the card then keep it.

Feb 7, 2010
Sweden, Uppsala
Well, I perform with a deck with signed cards in it. But just on a few of them, because my decks get worn out before even close to all the cards are signed. I don't really mind, to be honest. I wouldn't have signed cards in the deck if I had an actual gig, though.

I don't mind giving cards out, I just don't do it every time people sign the cards. And I don't "force it on them", I only give it to them if they ask for it.

I recall going through something like 60~70 decks last year.

Each deck usually lasts just under a week for me... I mean, that's just me.

Plus, the fact that I had decks just for performances and decks just for practice probably made me use a few extra decks that I didn't really need to. However, I suggest changing decks often if you practice or perform a lot since sticky decks are like..... bad milk... you don't want it. Trust me. (alright... bad simile, but I can't think of anything better at the moment)

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
I go through about...3 decks in a year. I basically use them until they die. Literally, they die.

But I don't perform and I just flourish and practice at home. And I'm a sissy.

I don't know how many decks I go threw not too many. Because I am sort of poor you see. Don't have much money for cards. That is why I am trying to learn coin magic.... It is hard for me for some reason!

Interesting thread btw!

Dec 11, 2010
California
I don't know how many decks I go threw not too many. Because I am sort of poor you see. Don't have much money for cards. That is why I am trying to learn coin magic.... It is hard for me for some reason!

Interesting thread btw!

True, very true. Although I am not a huge fan of coin magic (although I can do some of the basics aka french drop and the muscle pass o_O and well now im working on alchemy)

One of the things that you can do to make your cards last longer is wash your hands with soap before handeling your cards.

i do most of the time and helps the cards live longer =)

a deck for me will usually last anywhere between one to four weeks depending on how intensely I practice with it. If you go to costco you can buy a brick of bikes for like 13 dollars so that's a pretty good deal. I did for the first time about a month ago and it's lasted me thus far, :D. I really like the feeling of a worn in deck so I don't throw my decks away easily either.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results