How much would you pay?

Oct 24, 2007
I have a friend that's willing to sell me his original V1 Smoke deck and a framed Jerry's Nugget card signed by Dan and Dave along with a post card that says, "All the best", and is signed by Dan and Dave. He wants $200 for it. Is that to much? He's a friend, so I don't know if I should try and talk him down.

Feb 7, 2011
Ask him if he's willing to include one of his kidneys for that price.
Recently ive seen a set of smoke and mirrors v1, both in glass presentation frames for 200 dollars on ebay. And i seen a jerry's nugget card signed by dan and dave go for about 20 dollars, also on ebay.

Id say going rate for both those items is about 110-120 dollars. And those aren't friend prices.

Ultimately a collectible is only worth as much as the mark is willing to pay for it. But I agree with Red, $200 isn't a "friendly" price, and it certainly seems to be inflated a bit.

Now if it was an entire, unopened, deck of Jerry's with signatures on it... then you may have something.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I have a friend that's willing to sell me his original V1 Smoke deck and a framed Jerry's Nugget card signed by Dan and Dave along with a post card that says, "All the best", and is signed by Dan and Dave. He wants $200 for it. Is that to much? He's a friend, so I don't know if I should try and talk him down.

It depends on what such things mean to you. I'd not pay .50 cents for them in that I'm not obsessed with card magic nor do I know who Dan & Dave are (not kidding). . . these are people outside my specific field of magic so I don't know them and thus, no value exists. To you on the other hand, there is an obvious sense of value being placed on such things, so it's you that must ask the question. However, you need to be a bit pragmatic in making that decision, considering if or not your willingness to pay that sum will prove a wise investment ten years down the road when you sell it at auction. I can tell you right now, unless one or both of these guys become magic icons on the Celebrity level, you will never see that kind of money back in your pocket. Houdini's signature is only worth somewhere around $200.00 these days and it's one of the most valuable magic-related signatures going.

I do have a Lance Burton autographed playing card from the times Lance was still a starving artist working at Tombstone Junction that may be work a little something, but the real value of this piece, at least for me, is the memory of having seen him work in those long ago days. As one that's been involved with magic collecting I will tell you that a huge amount of such stuff is worthless. If you're lucky you'd might get a $5.00 offer for it at the next swap meet; my advice being to not put more than $50.00 on the table or, as my mentor used to say, pay only what you're willing to loose in that collectors items may be worth thousands one day and nothing the next.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx

I am gonna have to agree with Craig here...

Anyway, your "friend" tries to sell some items that are really not worth it...if you see Dan and Dave webpage there is a section that says "request a signed card" or something along those lines...so it´s a freebie..

Another thing to consider is that the Smoke deck is cheaper in ebay...maybe less than 50 bucks and also I think is way to overpriced... a black ghost deck in their 1st edition is more valuable than that deck....

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
Wow. Including two jokers and the signed postcard, you're looking at almost $3.60 per card. You could start a respectable second library in a new field of magic for that kind of money.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results