How To Promote Yourself- Essay #12 from Jamie D. Grant

Jamie D. Grant

theory11 columnist
Oct 12, 2008
Vancouver
www.cardsinabottle.com
So...

You've amazed your friends, fried your family, and have destroyed the minds of strangers. Everyone around you can't believe you're not in Vegas and all insist that you are given your own TV special. You feel you're ready for the next step- cash. the big time. moohlah. bling bling. But how? Money doesn't seem to rain down upon you no matter how much you wish it. And your inbox seems to be missing those signed contracts...

Well, I guess it's time to go to work.

Start by asking yourself:

A) How many people, locally, know that you're a magician?

Have you answered that? Your friends, your family, etc, right? Okay, next question:

B) How many people, locally, know that you perform magic for money?

This is a different ballgame, yeah? And it's the absolute crux around which you're going to build your business. Youtube and forum posting can provide us with necessary feedback and offer an awesome social community but, at the end of the day, will give you the following amount of Benjamins:

~0.~

Actually, let's make that .00

I can pretty much guarantee that none of you are going to hire me for your next Corporate gig. That doesn't mean that I don't think you're all great, it just means that you aren't going to be paying for my (insert ballin' vehicle here). So if you're not, who will?

The people in your own city.

So, knowing now that I need to market myself to my neighbor- how do I actually do that? I could give you a lot of mumbo-jumbo, but that's not how I roll. Here's some specifics:

1) Every single person you talk to needs to know you perform magic for money.

"Jamie, how are you?"

"Amazing! I just did a gig last night and it was an absolute blast. What's that? You didn't know that I was a magician, but now that you do, you think I would be perfect for your party and you'd like to shower me with cash? Well, okay."

2) Google event planners in your area and e-mail an introduction.

WARNING: You better make sure your e-mail is bulletproof and proofread.

3) Start volunteering as much as possible- look in your local newspaper for charity events and offer your services. Word of mouth is the best advertising money can't buy.

I like that last sentence so much I'm going to repeat it:

Word of mouth is the best advertising money can't buy.

You need to get people talking! And I don't mean, "Hey, isn't Jamie amazing." Meh. That does nothing. We're looking for, "Hey, I hear Jamie does magic. Wouldn't it be great to have him at our party?"

So, going on these theories, let's make a 1 week mini plan:

1) Work into a conversation that you perform for money. These conversations need to be with people that have money. Friends don't count as they'll never book you for a gig.

GOAL: 5 Times.

2) Find the e-mails of five event planners.

GOAL: Obtain e-mails and write a rough draft of your intro e-mail. Eg. "Hi, I saw your business on Google and would love to take a quick minute of your time to to introduce myself. My name is, etc."

3) Book three gigs for next month.

GOAL: These can be volunteer. Just remember that it's imperative that you're introduced as "the entertainer" and not just hanging out doing card tricks. And I know I don't have to tell you that no one leaves that room without either a business card or the idea in their head that you'd be perfect for their next event.

That should help get you started!

Your pal,

jamie (Master Magician and the perfect solution for your next event!)

Further Reading~The Essays:

Rates FAQ 2.0 (how much to charge) by Jamie D. Grant Essay #1
The single most important thing you can do... Essay #2
How many tricks should you learn? Essay #3
Tips or Wage? ~more thoughts from JDG /Essay #4
How to design a business card~ Essay #5 by JDG
Who I am~ Magic Friday ~ by Jamie D. Grant
Developing Your Sets - Essay #6 from JDG
Do you need a stage show? Essay #7 by JDG
Crushing the Haters! Essay #8 by Jamie D. Grant
Shaky Hands & Falling Cards. Beating Anxiety. Essay #9
Deflecting Thoughts, and False memories. Essay #10
Stage Show Thoughts. Essay #11
How To Promote Yourself. Essay #12

Last edited by a moderator:

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I was just going to reaffirm Jamie's thought on this thread as well. Word of mouth is how I get 90 percent of my gigs. Yes I give out tons of business cards after every gig and have a website, but WORD OF MOUTH is powerful and travels quickly.

b+w

Dec 10, 2008
York, United Kingdom
Not going to lie, that was extremely helpful, thanks! :)
I don't have much experience regarding events planning, so if you were to email them, are you asking that you can work for them and be advertised in some events package? I don't quite understand, could you give more information regarding that please.
Cheers, :)

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Hey Jamie,

Quick question.

After performing for family and friends, and blowing the minds of strangers, how does one know if they have enough MATERIAL to start doing gigs. Should they keep the same routine they've been doing for their family and friends and try to market that? I'm sure that routine consists of card tricks, and maybe ''Do as I Do".

Should one try and get a signature piece, and some supporting material? If so, where should they go to find that material?

Just a few questions I've been thinking on for a while...

~Robert

Jamie D. Grant

theory11 columnist
Oct 12, 2008
Vancouver
www.cardsinabottle.com
Just on the go here, but let me see if I can post this from my phone...

Basically, it will just be an introduction- letting them know you're available for work.

"Hi,

My name is Jamie D. Grant and, aside from also being located here in Vancouver, am a professional magician. I just came across your website and thought it might be a good idea to introduce myself.

Thanks for your time!

All my best,

Jamie D. Grant
www.Professional-Magician.com"

That's super basic- but will still get the job done: to let people know you're open for business...

~jdg

Jamie D. Grant

theory11 columnist
Oct 12, 2008
Vancouver
www.cardsinabottle.com
Great questions here:

Maybe take a look at Essay #3. Once you've got 9 to a dozen tricks down, it now turns into a personality game. Meaning, would people ENJOY having you show them something. There is no signature trick; You are the signature.

Jamie D. Grant

theory11 columnist
Oct 12, 2008
Vancouver
www.cardsinabottle.com
Okay, back in front of a proper computer! And while this will probably be my next Essay, I'll quickly address it here...

How Do I Know When I'm Ready?

here's my answer (cue zen-like music):

You will never be ready. Ever. Ever ever. Never ever. Never ever ever never...you get the point.

Instead, ask yourself:

When can I start?

Jul 3, 2011
Oregon
As much as I would like to charge for performing, I doubt anybody would be willing to pay. That isn't to say that my magic is bad, but not many people would put their trust in a highschooler, let alone a freshman, to entertain at an event. Thus, yet again, begging the question, where do I start? I will be waiting eagerly for your next article Jamie.

Oct 8, 2011
Baltimore
As much as I would like to charge for performing, I doubt anybody would be willing to pay. That isn't to say that my magic is bad, but not many people would put their trust in a highschooler, let alone a freshman, to entertain at an event. Thus, yet again, begging the question, where do I start? I will be waiting eagerly for your next article Jamie.

I disagree
I have been doing magic for nearly six years and I'm only 13, yet I am known around my city as a magician-one that gets paid to do magic-and people still hire me despite my young age.
It really doesn't matter so much how old you are as long as you act professionally and perform a solid routine you have confidence in.
I'm telling you-follow the advice on this forum, get out there and get some gigs, and don't doubt yourself
you would be surprised!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results