How to prove you're not a twin?

I am working on ideas for a teleportation from the stage to another location miles away in 1 second via projector, inspired by David Copperfield & Marco Tempest.

Before doing the illusion, it is of course essential to first disprove any theory on how it could be faked, which would be relatively easy- a really fast car that would drive me there, green screen, pre-recorded video, etc.

My only problem is that it will be SO convincing, the only other explanation they will be left with is "He must have a twin."

So, how would you prove that you don't have a twin? The only person who REALLY knows is my own mother, as she gave birth to me. But know one knows if perhaps I had a brother, but we were separated at birth, or I have a brother, but he moved to a different state & we don't mention each other, so not even my closest friends would've known. Heck, I could even have a sibling & not know it myself, anything is possible. Now if I cant figure out how to prove it, it wont stop me from doing it, but I'm just anticipating the theories an audience might come up with, as if they could come up with an easy solution quite easily, than there is no effect, & I'm just trying to cover all the angles.

Also, this question would not only be good for me, but for any illusionist who vanishes from the stage to the middle of the audience, or anywhere else. I'm sure some people are thinking the twin theory, so if we could figure out how to disprove that theory, it will make the magic that more impressive.

Feb 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
Wouldn't it be easier to just prove that you are you instead? Like, bring a memento from the audience or make the public do a big poster with their name on it that you can show after you were teleport?

Thanks for the replies!

Here's what it will look like-

I will select 4 random volunteers- (no stooges, no coaching etc) I will have 3 of the volunteers write there first names on the palm of my hand. The 4th volunteer who has a cell phone gives me there number so I can call it, which I do on stage before going anywhere so they can see my number pop up on there phone. Than I take a pic with my cell phone of the 4 volunteers.

After teleporting, & doing a complete 360 degree view of the location as well as setting the cam down & running way out into the distance proving Im not using green screen, you can still see the names on my hand. Than I pull out my cell phone & show them the pic I took earlier of the 4 volunteers. & for the super-kicker final convincer, I call the 4th volunteer & have a live conversation with them on there phone while still on location. They put me on speaker so the audience can hear me through THERE phone as well as the speakers in the theater through the camera mic. While this might be enough proof for a general audience, there will still be those who think this could be faked with a twin.

For example, who's to say I don't just simply secretly sneak a pic/video of the names on my hand, text it to my twin, who than copies the names as close as possible to the pic. Texting him the pic of the audience volunteers would be even easier. Same thing would apply to a poster with random drawings/words on it. My twin would have a blank poster, & copy the pic of the post from a text of the pic. This would also explain the phone conversation. The only thing that disproves this is them seeing its still the same number that I called them with earlier, but you know people. Once they know, they know, even if there are still holes in there theory.

This idea is still in the works, & am still trying to think of additional convincers that not only is it me, but everything is in fact live.

Colin

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2013
You are over-thinking this. If you really need to do more that what you have described take the above suggesting of taking a memento if that is possible but you have enough convincers above assuming what the audience sees on a screen looks legit.

There is no way you could convince 100% of people that you didn't have a twin and really would only arouse suspicion if you bring it up. You are doing a teleportation magic trick so people will come up with all kinds of theories and as long as they aren't all coming up with the actual method leave them to it.

baguette

Elite Member
Mar 28, 2013
You are over-thinking this. If you really need to do more that what you have described take the above suggesting of taking a memento if that is possible but you have enough convincers above assuming what the audience sees on a screen looks legit.

There is no way you could convince 100% of people that you didn't have a twin and really would only arouse suspicion if you bring it up. You are doing a teleportation magic trick so people will come up with all kinds of theories and as long as they aren't all coming up with the actual method leave them to it.

Totally true, i i were a spectator i would think that you just sent him the picture via the phone and same with the phone number.
Remember, simplicity is the key.

Feb 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
Or maybe you could simply "seal" something (like a ring, amulet or anything that is small, even a pencil) in an envelop in a bag that a spectator choose randomly (throwing a ball 3-4 time in the audience should be fine) in his pocket. You took the bag just before the teleportation and then when you reappear, you ask the spectator what was in the envelop and open it or you could open it and then ask the spectator if it's the right thing or just make the spectator write it on a piece of paper and tell you if it's the right object.

Aug 17, 2012
I just had a brainwave.
What about getting a spectator to lock a personal belonging inside a small safety device and using a four code combination to lock it with. Although there's a twist the spectator chooses the four code combination and locks it without telling you the code.

Then, once you have appeared at said destination, you ask for the code and fairly show you are unlocking it! Then as a final kicker you pull out their said belonging or maybe a signed card if this is how you end your show.

Hope this helps,
Sam Morgan.

Apr 17, 2013
You should ask them if the have see The Prestige. Then mention that Robert Angier/The Great Danton was based on your great great grandfather. Could make it a little dark after that but it might get a few laughs.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I'm confident that I gave you a very educated perspective on this issue yesterday, at E Forums . . . you might want to go back and re-read what I said and what some of the folks here have echoed -- you're running when not being chased.

There is a very famous big stage (Massive stage, in his case) illusionist that has used at least two sets of twins for most of his 40 year career and no one has been any the wiser. . . then again, one of the most famous acts when it comes to the Sub Trunk and a few other impossibilities has relied on having an identical twin since their inception. There's a nice long list in which such things proved common, including a rare illusion in which the mage literally Sawed a Lady in Two . . . actually cloning the young lady after the typical sawing silliness; I did a version of this using a well known female impersonator with a rather divine singer some years ago and it rocked!

Just don't worry about it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results