HUGE PROBLEM - Help needed...

XabierL

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2010
Hi everyone!

Recently I've realized that in the last two years I've been experimenting with a more professional magic. Or that was what it seemed to be at first. I've always been keen on magic, but two years ago I discovered "real" magic communities (Theory 11, Ellusionist...) until then all the tricks I knew were really bad tricks, that I dont know where they came from.

Now, after 2 years of frenzy, I've realized that I have too much magic, and I dont know what to do with it! I've been buying and buying, have spent hundreds of euros, but I dont have a routine. I feel quite stupid! :) I need some help with creating routines, for both stage and close-up. I do card magic. ANY advice is welcome, but please, dont recommend me to buy something, no more money will be spent for now :D

Thanks!

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
First thing to know, there aren't very many BAD tricks. Usually, its the performer that doesn't know how to present certain effects.

FOR THE EXCESS TRICKS:

Make a list, check it twice
Pick your top 10 that you perform the most in real life situation
Then start (attempting) to make routines from there
Start selling the things you know you won't ever use on ebay or something.

In the long run, you're going to need to buy some books on routining and magic theory. Not for tricks, but to become a better magician performance-wise and professionally.

Feb 12, 2011
At my Computer
Just go through your collection and seperate them into three piles. Ones I could put in a routine now, ones I might use later, and ones I don't like and will never use. Then sell the ones in the I don't like and never use pile. In doing that you set yourself up to create a routine because you get rid of the stuff you don't like and you recoop alittle money too!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Great advice for him thus far fellas. I would also add that you also may want to develop 2 shows for stage and 2 for close up because eventually you will get a "REPEAT" client and they do not want the exact same show you just did 2 years prior. I have had this happen and then realized I didn't have anything "new" to offer.

Notice I am talking about shows not routines. Routines and sets are different than a full show. I are you looking to develop a full blown show or more so "sets" for strolling and such?

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
In the long run, you're going to need to buy some books on routining and magic theory. Not for tricks, but to become a better magician performance-wise and professionally.

Actually, you need to weed out your current pile o'stuff and replace it with books NOW!

Knowing a handful of tricks doesn't make you a magician; learning the technical aspects of magic (starting with the fundamentals) as well as showmanship, these are the things that will both, empower you in a rather encompassing manner, but likewise give you the kind of foundation one needs in order to build THEIR own magic... that is to say, to improve upon the operation or even design of commercial props so that they better fit your needs, program theme, etc. Too, by diving into the various books out there (I'd suggest you purchase the Mark Wilson & Tarbell Courses in Magic first) you will be discovering alternative methods for accomplishing the same or similar effects.

I'll also encourage you to stop focusing on "tricks" for a while and develop your slight-of-hand skills first. Use what you have in the manner suggested above, but learn to augment those commercial pieces with routines that demonstrate actual skill . . . and on that point, I'd encourage you to start with coins, balls, dive, thimbles and cigarettes before jumping into the abyss of card tricks (from whence few ever return).

Ask Questions but be cautious on whose feedback you actually listen to. People your age and at your knowledge level are going to encourage you to perpetuate the commercial habit while old grumpy bears like myself, are going to kick you in the rubber parts and tell you to not be lazy and do what's trendy but to actually learn magic and push yourself into a direction that is uniquely your own. . . . that's the only way you "win" at this game.

Best of luck!

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
First thing to know, there aren't very many BAD tricks.
Complete nonsense.

Constructing your own routines isn't easy. Begin with basics and break it down, beginning, middle, end and make sure it's easy to follow but has impact. Once you can do that you can start adding patter and twists.

Real routines aren't made in minutes, they're built on over years.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Formula...are you disagreeing with the "there aren't very many BAD tricks?". I have seen really crappy looking effects turned into MIRACLES with the right presentation and patter with someone who knows what they are doing. Don't get me wrong..I've bought my fair share of effects that I've gotten home and said, "Oh man...this looks crappy...ha ha".

Routines grow and evolve after man many performances. You are absolutely correct.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Formula...are you disagreeing with the "there aren't very many BAD tricks?". I have seen really crappy looking effects turned into MIRACLES with the right presentation and patter with someone who knows what they are doing.
Precisely, it takes a professional who knows what they're doing to make a rubbish trick in to a miracle. I was just pointing out that there are a lot of awful tricks out there.

XabierL

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2010
Are you looking to develop a full blown show or more so "sets" for strolling and such?

I'm looking for sets, don't make shows (for now). I have Close-Up Book by David Stone, which I think could help me... I'll start there.

I mainly know card tricks, and really dont know which should be used as openers, closers, etc. Looking for a street magic kinda performance...

Without knowing what all you have at your disposal to work with I would advise sitting down with a piece of paper and just writing our your tricks in complete that you know how to do(regardless of how well you know how to do them), their names, their theme (close up, stage, parlor, etc) and their approximate performance time. Include any pre-work or setup in that performance time.

Please note that "Street magic" isn't a theme, it's a marketing ploy to lure a younger generation into magic by making it sound edgy and cool. 95% of all street magic is either close up magic, or mentalism. Do not label an effect as "street magic".

Next, sift through that list and separate those effects into three categories. Your A list, your B list, and your C list. Put any effect you can perform flawlessly, in your sleep, and blindfolded into your A list. Put any effect that you know how to perform, but maybe don't perform all that often into your B list, and dump everything that is either not a well performed trick, not performed often, or something you may do on the right occasion into your C list. If you really wanted to be anal about it, you could create a D list for all material that you are working on, or would like to develop further, but haven't done so as of yet.

It's not a bad idea to create a few different shows based upon the theme; EG: close up, parlor, stage, etc. You'll always create the show by drawing from your A list first, then fill in with B's and C's as needed.

When you create your shows you'll want different versions of them. Not necessarily different in what you perform, but different in how long you perform. I recommend a 25 minute set, a 45 minute set, and a 60 minute set.

If you consider using music, choose tracks that complement the action, without drowning out what you are saying or distracting the audience from what it is that you are doing.

When you are creating your set lists, chose effects that build upon a theme. Choose effects that flow together, and build upon each other until you reach a climax. Your closing effect should be the biggest, most impressive, and powerful effect you do. Your opener should grab their attention quickly, and establish yourself as the magi. Every set should have a clear beginning, middle, and end to it. Every show should have a message.

All the best to you!

XabierL

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2010
Please note that "Street magic" isn't a theme, it's a marketing ploy to lure a younger generation into magic by making it sound edgy and cool.

First of all, THANK YOU! So much useful information in those lines :)

I know that street magic is not a theme, what I wanted to say was in that kind of situation, stand-up for a little audience. I'm also thinking about creating a stage routine, so the information you've given me is perfect.

Thanks to everyone so far!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Any suggestions?

In no particular order:

Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms
Scripting Magic by Peter McCabe
Showmanship for Magicians by Dariel Fitzkee
The Trick Brain by Dariel Fitzkee
Magic by Misdirection by Dariel Fitzkee