I have to do a 30 minute presentation

This 30 minute presentation is for my university course and it has to be:

"Engaging in a debate about a particular aspect of the performing arts"

I am not wanting you guys to do my work for me, as I am capable myself, but I am looking for starting ideas, as I was hoping to create this presentation around magic.

How could I talk about a debate about certain aspects in magic? Bearing in mind this is going to be presented to non-magicians. I just need a couple of subject ideas. I appreciate any comments.

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
You could talk about how many people know how to do tricks now and magicians have a harder time amazing people than in the past. But that knowledge that other people have pushes magicians to create new and more amazing material.

Anthony Nguyen

You could talk about how many people know how to do tricks now and magicians have a harder time amazing people than in the past. But that knowledge that other people have pushes magicians to create new and more amazing material.

Anthony Nguyen

I think this is a good subject to talk about, and how learning magic is more accessible to the public nowadays which is good and bad as us magicians have an easier way of learning, but it can cause problems when a member of the public finds the secret.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
You could do it on performance styles. How ten magicians can do the same trick, but present it differently, and how changing what you say can make it more (or less) relevant to your audience.

This could also cover the difference that Daniel Madison is always talking about, no more 'if i push the magic button that is on the card...' stuff. And how it's just as amazing and mind boggling if they know its not really magic.

Just a few thoughts.

-Rik

Sep 2, 2007
London
I think an interesting point for debate would be deception in performance. For example, in a standard theatrical performance, although the audience are invited to suspend their disbelief and involve themselves in the emotions of the piece, at no point would anyone accuse the actors of "lying", simply because they are portraying a fiction. However, in magic, even though it's a performance art, it somehow crosses the line from theatre to actual deception.

Aug 21, 2008
Debate on how people view magic. When you tell them your a magician, they thing colored hankercheifs, magic wands and big hats with bunny rabits poping out. The new underground magic that daniel madison talks about brings a whole new image of magicans.

Sep 1, 2007
How about the reflection of magic to the times.

PT Selbit created the sawing-in-half illusion during the 1920's and performed it at the Grand Guignol.

Harry Houdini was an escape artist in the early 20th century.

Robert-Houdin took magic out of the dark ages and was the first performer to wear fine evening clothes in his performances.

David Blaine bursts onto the scene rather abruptly at the turn of the millennium with a revolutionary approach to TV magic.

The art is reflecting signs of the times. Why not discuss that?

May 18, 2008
Sounds like an awesome project. I would go on a topic of misdirection, or possibly a topic about deception and how deception works.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results