I Need A Method For A Card Trick

Dec 30, 2014
Australia
Hi Guys I was thinking the other day that I should make a card trick. The card trick I came up with is a levitating card trick. But I don't want to use strings. So if you have any idea of How I can perform this trick please tell me. I would like it if no one has done this before. If you method works I will give you credit if I do use the card trick. If you have a really good method for this and you don't want anyone else to know please email me. My email is ncrockett24@outlook.com. I have been thinking and thinking but have only one thing. That is use a transparent cube and place the card on that. But that would not work for street magic. So Please do help me create my trick.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
Hey!

You should look around, there are plenty methods for levitating cards without the use of strings...

Dan Harlan released an effect many years ago called Hover Card. There is a start for ya! :)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
So - You thought you should make a card trick, and your way of making that trick is to have someone else tell you how to do it?

Mike is right - you need to do some research. There's many ways to levitate a card.

Dec 30, 2014
Australia
So - You thought you should make a card trick, and your way of making that trick is to have someone else tell you how to do it?

Mike is right - you need to do some research. There's many ways to levitate a card.
I Know that I should research and I am this is part of my research. See I asked Theory11 and they said ask people in the forums.

Reactions: Josh Burch
Feb 24, 2015
about a month or more

I see. To create your own method for something, here is a general high level timeline:

1) Research all dozens of ways of floating and levitating a playing card that is already publish. "Research" not meaning ask someone, but looking at the half dozen magic sites and purchasing the various ways that is already out there.

2) At the same time come up with your own methods, regardless of how bad it is in the beginning.

3) Perform the various methods you've learned for real people. What are the weaknesses of each? What are the strengths? Document these in a notebook or on your computer/phone.

4) Go back to #2 and refine and compare to the methods out there...are they similar? Have problems you're facing already been solved by others? Did you accidentally mimic an already existing effect?

5) How can you improve on existing methods you don't like? How can you combine the strengths of one and eliminate the weakness of another?

6) Continue with #3....this is crucial.

Depending on how much time you dedicate to this (assuming 12-20 hours per week), then in about a 1-2 years, you might be able to run this by places like T11 or E and see if method is indeed unique....not sure if you're looking to sell la method or just come up with one for the sake of creativity.

If you feel that one month is a long time then I'm afraid you'll have to drastically alter your patience and work ethic if you want to create a new method.

Dec 30, 2014
Australia
I see. To create your own method for something, here is a general high level timeline:

1) Research all dozens of ways of floating and levitating a playing card that is already publish. "Research" not meaning ask someone, but looking at the half dozen magic sites and purchasing the various ways that is already out there.

2) At the same time come up with your own methods, regardless of how bad it is in the beginning.

3) Perform the various methods you've learned for real people. What are the weaknesses of each? What are the strengths? Document these in a notebook or on your computer/phone.

4) Go back to #2 and refine and compare to the methods out there...are they similar? Have problems you're facing already been solved by others? Did you accidentally mimic an already existing effect?

5) How can you improve on existing methods you don't like? How can you combine the strengths of one and eliminate the weakness of another?

6) Continue with #3....this is crucial.

Depending on how much time you dedicate to this (assuming 12-20 hours per week), then in about a 1-2 years, you might be able to run this by places like T11 or E and see if method is indeed unique....not sure if you're looking to sell la method or just come up with one for the sake of creativity.

If you feel that one month is a long time then I'm afraid you'll have to drastically alter your patience and work ethic if you want to create a new method.
Thanks great advice. Will Do all that. Thanks again.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results