I need help for a stage show

Aug 16, 2008
i live for magic
Hey guys I'm going to be doing a stage show soon so i was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how to put a routine together and what tricks i should do or any advise for that matter so if anyone has any tips Id rely appreciate it.

Jan 13, 2008
Honestly, I'd suggest canceling (unless your idea of "soon" is a few months from now). You need time to come up with and practice a routine (even if you know the tricks/effects). If you don't take the time, it will likely just looks rushed and, well, just plain bad.

Again, I really cannot suggest anything other than canceling (again, if it's anything less than a few months from now).

ok let's me give you my routine, it's called the YOU'RE GONNA BE MY GIRL (not quite tested yet)

Peperation:
you need a hot looking girl
flash paper
real rose
d'lite
snow storm
balloon
wine bottle
snow powder

Perfroming: (I'm just telling you the general idea, I wont explain everthing to prevent exposure)

1st you acted to get ready for a date w/ a hot girl.
2nd you produce a rose out of mid air using flash paper
3rd you use the balloon to produce the wine bottle
4th you turn her wine to ice
5th you break her wine glass and she cut her hand and uses d'lite to heal her like ET movie
6th after you heal her finger throw out snow storm to ended the act.

I just came up w/ this routine for my comming show, I'm not quite tested it yet so have fun playing around w/ it.

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
you have no scene of humor, if you say rope tricks are lame then you haven't seen the real rope routine yet.

Yeah I have no sense of humor... wait how the hell is a rope suppose to determine my sense of humor?

And you're right, I haven't seen a "real" rope routine yet... why? Because I'm not interested in them. Maybe I will if you link me to a "real" rope routine.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
it really depends. Alot of people ask for help on these forums, but we cannot do anything until we determine your style, presentation ideas, strengths, weaknessess.

if your into a comedy magic show, but one more aimed towards adults, try the Amazing Jonathan for ideas. his funny jokes and remarks help to hide away the hideousness of his magic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoygH4h45jM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqvenoKDP_Q

If however, you may be more interested in a funny freaky show, try Barry and Stuart. theyre great showmen. Maybe you could team up with a friend to do a show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yw7oX5CXhk - hilarious!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNSnSbH05qo - this is the way to go if you want to hustle your spectators (jokingly)

you should look into more clips of these magicians, and some others that fit your style. The more you see, the more inspired you will be. however, you dont seem to have much time, and that is never a good thing. cm763 is right. you need time to practise.

another thing, is that maybe you dont need a whole routine...like Barry and Stuart, you could have one massive piece (a la resistance):)

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
Gustavo Guimaraes is right.

First, you have to be absolutely sure of the performace of your effects. Know which ones you're goiing to do. The next thing you have ask yourself is "Why?"

Simple question, but a big answer. You have to know Why you choose these effects. You have to know why they come together. It could be a long comedy routine based on a persona (e.g. Amazing Jonathan), make a story that ties them together, or a presentation (e.g. David Copperfield), or you could be teachering lesson (e.g. Derren Brown), whatever, YOU decide why these effects are tied together. And have it make sense for you. Not to your audience. Not yet.

Once you get the why these effects are tied to you, then you tie them to each other. Perform them for yourself, feeling how it flows from one effect to another. Get an order or sorts and have a list, but don't set it in stone. Keep it flexible.

Now look what you have: an outline and a summary of your personal routine. That's the start. Now start filling in the blanks, like segways, outs, etc. Remember to keep true to who you are, not what you think the audience wants to see.

Remember they are paying to see you. You are giving a piece of yourself to them. Don't give them someone else. Also remember it takes practice and experience. You can't do one show and know your "style" right off. For example, if you want to be a funny magician, by all means, be funny, but don't try to find your "catch phrases" or mannerisms right now. Just find the basics of you, and use that. The rest will come with the experience of performing over and over.

Hope this helps.

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
Honestly, I'd suggest canceling (unless your idea of "soon" is a few months from now). You need time to come up with and practice a routine (even if you know the tricks/effects). If you don't take the time, it will likely just looks rushed and, well, just plain bad.

Again, I really cannot suggest anything other than canceling (again, if it's anything less than a few months from now).

I couldn't agree more.
Ok. Yeah- I would also advise having a great routine that you've done a million times and THEN booking a show.
As far as close-up/walk around effects that also translate pretty well to a stage, I'd go with The Invisible Deck, or any kind of mentalism effect.
If you're going to do something close-up with cards or coins, have a camera onstage with you projecting your hands onto a screen so everyone can see...
Good luck, man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results