I Think Some Magicians Now A Days...

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Hi! I for myself enjoy performing a lot ( at school) it gives me opportunity to get to know people...and about gaffs, I usually use only one effect at a time for a closer, they are pretty nice, the thing is, You dont end clean, and that's why I think a lot of people doesn't prefer them... I usually carry 1 or two (maybe 3) gaff cards on my deck, its easier to hide those cards where either I am spreading or when I am fanning my deck.

Cheers!!!

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Have Grown Afraid, Or Something Of A Live Audience Performance.

I can maybe sound a bit harsh here but I totally disagree with you, a lot of the users here are talented magicians.. and by talented I mean, its from experience... i think is dumb to think "yeah, I'am going to learn magic but I am not going to show anyone because I am afraid!" I mean, Come on! Don't confuse "I'am nervous when I Perform" with " I'am not going to show anyone" we all get nervous when perfoming but mosth of us (if not all) perform just by the simple fact that thats one of the reasons of being a magician.

Apr 28, 2008
I think we are concentrating too much on the skill, rather than the performance. When in fact, the performance is the skill.

I don't really agree with the original poster but I definitely agree with this.

I think all our performances should be technically flawless but this isn't enough by itself, it should be accompanied by presentation.

A lot of the the flourishy Dan and Dave style magic is very impressive to magicians but not particulalrly entertaining for laymen.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Well yes, performing is an art. With a performing arts background myself, it's easy for me to put magic in a similar perspective as a theatre production or a film. We as magicians give up something to become magicians - we relish the thrills of others and gain our thrills from that just as an actor gains pleasure from a wonderful audience. As someone above said, it's not so much fear as nervousness I think, we're nervous about our own skills because we are magicians - to us, skills are how well we pass and double lift; but in magic in general, skills are all performance.

to RDchopper, i understand what your saying.
but it seems to me, kid magicians, or magicians my age, a teenager, prefer to perform in fromt of a camera in theyre room, rather than out there on the field.
thats all.
but i understand your point.

D

Deleted member 2755

I agree about the live performances part. There are more web cam videos than live performances. It can get annoying. ;)

As for the gaffs... I don't like them because of how much they cost. For example... let's take E's gaff deck. $30?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Plus once one card is dead, in order to replace it you would have to pay another $30!!! This is why I don't own the Ultragaff deck. Also, cards like the zipper cards are just plain corny. By using gaffs like these, you are screaming "I USE TRICK CARDS!" I have no problems using gaffs such as a double backer.

-Doug

I wish I saw more of performer's faces and facial expressions and less "floating hands" and/or "my hands in front of my crotch" videos that seem so popular among the video-posting crowd.

One problem not addressed yet is that performing for a camera is a double edged sword. Yes, you can control the angle and perform things that would never work in a live situation but which look phenomenal on video. Yet you also lose the ability to direct the attention of the viewer with your stationary camera setup. Yes you can edit (and oh so many do), but at what price to the effect?

As for gaffs...well, that's a beast whose belly we cut open months ago. But for the price issue, look elsewhere, friends. E's gaffs are not your only option by far.

Also, knowing why you want to use a gaff (ie, knowing what effect you're hoping to achieve) will allow you to narrow your gaff needs. I purchase gaffs when I've been inspired to practice a routine that needs them, not in order to be inspired by the gaff itself.

Pj

I wish I saw more of performer's faces and facial expressions and less "floating hands" and/or "my hands in front of my crotch" videos that seem so popular among the video-posting crowd.

One problem not addressed yet is that performing for a camera is a double edged sword. Yes, you can control the angle and perform things that would never work in a live situation but which look phenomenal on video. Yet you also lose the ability to direct the attention of the viewer with your stationary camera setup. Yes you can edit (and oh so many do), but at what price to the effect?

As for gaffs...well, that's a beast whose belly we cut open months ago. But for the price issue, look elsewhere, friends. E's gaffs are not your only option by far.

Also, knowing why you want to use a gaff (ie, knowing what effect you're hoping to achieve) will allow you to narrow your gaff needs. I purchase gaffs when I've been inspired to practice a routine that needs them, not in order to be inspired by the gaff itself.

Pj

well that was kickass ha ha
i completely agree with you.

the "in front of crouch" was quite amusing btw =]

Aug 21, 2008
Maryland
Trickster Or Magician?

If all you have are skills, gaffed or not, all you are presenting is tricks - an act that can often be perceived by the audience as an arrogant challenge to "figure it out" on your part.
Once you've mastered the skill to technically perform the "trick", focus then on the other 75% of your responsibility and figure out how you are going to present this skill in an entertaining and/or mystifying fashion. Once decided, practice, practice, practice until flawless. Only then perform the effect in public. Keep refining. Be open to critique. If you're extremely lucky, you may end up with a true piece of magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results